Anyone Here Suffer a Severly Broken Arm? Effects On Your Playing?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Derek S, May 16, 2020.

1. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Sup gents! Last week I really wrecked hard while enjoying my new hobby of cycling (road). We were cruising along at around 20mph and I took my eyes off the path just for a second to wave hi to someone and when I brought them back it was too late, my view had been masked and I smashed into a pair of those cement posts they place in areas where roads intersect with the biking path to prevent cars from hitting walkers, etc. Two impacts, me and the post and about thirty feet later, the pavement, heh. Right arm completely broke in half, pair of hematoma's on my legs, torn ligaments in left shoulder, two broken fingers, 12 stitches behind right knees, etc. Jacked myself up good lol, had to go straight to the trauma team and into surgery (but only spent one night in the hospital, whew).

What I'm curious about is my right (picking) hand as the surgery required metal plates, pins and wires to repair it....anyone here have a similar procedure and if so, did your picking technique return to normal over time? BTW, typing with the left hand is slooow and a pita! Thanks.

2. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Ouch! Broke my left wrist once quite badly. Then they had to break it again to put it right. Thanks. Anyway it's never been right since. The scaphoid bone never heals properly because it doesn't have a decent blood supply. I can play OK but I didn't for a long time. It doesn't bother me playing but if I try to do too much heavy stuff it starts to ache. Hope you get better soon.

3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Wholly Fuck man !!!! Thank your lucky stars you weren't killed out right!!!
    My sister broke her wrist while in Cuba this year. They fixed it up there.
    Came back home and the docs said it was totally done wrong and that they would have to re do it and put a metal plate in her wrist!
    With twice a week visits to a therapist over the last 2 months it is coming 'round and she should have full dexterity upon completion.
    Hope that's a bit of good news for you.
    BP
    p.s. If you need me to fill in on any your guitar projects, lead solos or whatever you know I'm here for you !! :lol: :orly:

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  4. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

That really sucks Derek! Here’s to a full and speedy recovery!

“The scaphoid bone never heals properly because it doesn't have a decent blood supply.”

I broke my left scaphoid bone in a snowmobiling accident over 30 years ago. Was in a cast over my elbow for 6+ months. Then therapy and a brace for another 3 after that - because of the low blood supply to that bone.

Starting the last few years when I play for a while I start to get an ache in my left wrist. I recently talked to my doc about it and he thinks it’s arthritis from the break. When things settle down with COVID I’ll probably go to an Orthopedic to confirm. It’s not horrible and It’s not every time I play. If I adjust my wrist I can deal with it. My point is I really messed up my left wrist (my fretting hand) and it took almost 30 years to start showing up - and it’s manageable.

My advice to you is do the PT after. So many people either skip this step or do it half-assed. It may feel fine now, but your doing therapy for the long run too.

Good luck to you!

5. Trumpet Rider

Trumpet Rider Well-Known Member

Damn, Derek. That sucks.

I shattered my right (picking) wrist in an equestrian incident. The surgeon said it was the 2nd worst wrist injury he had ever seen, and this was in Colorado where he sees ski injuries all the time. It took two surgeries to rearrange the many bones and there were screws and plates used to hold it all together.

I couldn't use my right hand for anything for what seemed like forever, but now I hardly notice it most of the time. And looking back, it really wasn't that long before I was playing guitar again.

As KraftyBob said, do the PT. In fact, my hand therapist was pleased that I was a guitarist and said that playing guitar would be excellent therapy. You will be back.

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Sorry about your accident, whats important is the rehab after you get your cast off, no matter how much it hurts you gotta work hard to get full mobility back cuz you only get that one chance to get there. Good luck with it.

7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Never broke any bones and still suck at guitar. I’m I missing something

8. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

damn derek. sorry to hear this. i hope everything turns out good for you.

9. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Wow Derek what a spill at only 20 mph! I hope you heal up well and quick...good luck!

10. Derek S

Thanks for all the input, brothers. So it's a mixed bag then, some say over time it's all good and others saying it never was the same..damn. I should've mentioned it's the ulna and radius that that were completely broke, not the wrist...so maybe there's hope for normal guitar playing again. Thanks also for the reminder about doing the PT, totally on the same page with ya, will be doing it. Crazy thing too, the bike came out with minor damage lol, already repaired and returned from the shop (not that im in any hurry to try again..i think I should stick to jogging lol)

11. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Damn! Sorry to hear, man.

Take care of yourself and heal up, then do the therapy..Best of luck!

12. Nik Henville

Nik Henville Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
    Nope.
    Left arm broken didn't help though...
    First time was when I was about 7 - triple break in both radius and ulna. Sawbones in the local hospital set it so well that after maybe 12 months, you could barely see anything in the X-Ray images - skilled staff and young bones.
    Second time was mid thirties, drove a car off a cliff into a field some 100ft below. Fortunately it was soft ploughed earth and at an angle which softened the impact. Car rolled maybe half a dozen times but, as the front wheels hit the bank, my thumb caught in the steering wheel spokes and my left arm was snapped yet again - right next to the original three breaks. Since I was in Jordan at the time, the locals set it - no anaesthetic, two attempts at the scene, then two more with X-Rays at the hospital in Al-Salt, again no bloody anaesthetic.
    All the time the cast was on it felt like shit. 8 weeks later the cast came off... it felt like shit. Worse yet, whilst pronation was fair to good, supination sucked big time. To this day I can no longer do decent barre chords - the forefinger just doesn't quite sit flat on the fretboard any more. And tossing peanuts from palm to mouth - can't do. Hold out left hand to take coins in change... usually they end up on the floor.
    So I hope your's sets perfectly man - and do whatever physio they give regardless of how it hurts :cool:

:hippie::pirate::uk:

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Radius and ulna will heal up fine and not affect guitar playing, broken fingers on the other hand make sure you work hard at therapy to get your full range of motion back. You'll be fine. :yesway:

Derek S likes this.
  14. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Derek that blows hard man.
    I've never broken my arm, but my hands man, my hands....have been subjected to some shit lol

Hope you heal well/get better soon.

Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.
  15. Barfly

Barfly Expert bottle opener. Silver Supporting Member

Hey Derek, I'm sorry to hear about your break. I hope you get well soon! I only broke a toe and it didn't effect my playing much, lol. Feel better soon!

Mitchell Pearrow and Derek S like this.
  16. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Dude, I'm only here to send you prayers for a speedy recovery ... never broke any bones, so I can't speak w/any first hand experience. Thank God you are still alive though ... sounds brutal!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Does having a stroke which disables your entire left arm and leg, instantly dumpstering everything you've worked for on the guitar for over 40 years, count?
    The good news is that recovery is imminent. And God's Holy Host of angels (the nurses who cared for me better than my own mother day and night), saw to the task of helping me regain 85% of all the skills I'd lost.

The human body has an amazing ability to recover. You will recover. You say to yourself, "Ok, let's f*cking DO THIS, failure is NOT an option", and then you never look back.

18. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Failure not an option
    Never looking back

+100

19. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I love off road biking and round here is an MTB paradise but having been ambulanced out of a disused quarry once with a suspected broken neck I'm always a little nervy about it. That said you can go out and pull a load of really stupid rad shit then fall off at 5mph and do some serious damage. Worst motorbike spill I ever had was about 15mph. Can't wrap yourself in cotton wool though else life ain't worth living.
    I suspect my problem is far more confidence than ability. It's a fun life though.

20. Derek S

Hey, thanks again for the comments, prayers, personal experiences and especially the humor lol, I could use that too! Sorry to hear it and it must suck for those that said it never quite felt the same (playing), I sure hope that's not my fate, I need guitar in my life lol, maybe i'll alter my style some if the picking is hindered much, like more legato haha.

My gf was there and naturally upset but also busy trying to be helpful...but my friend Jill was also there and she took some pics as the day unfolded. I might not of even shared this story or pics but I see where someone posted a thread about it being "dead" around here so heh, I thought sharing this little mishap would liven it up some! :p

You can see it doesn't take much speed to wreck hard on a bike, especially with the element of surprise and not having the chance to use your reflexes. You can see it knocked me out of one of my shoes even (it's right beside the post). I was wearing a helmet for the record and that may have saved my neck, which did snap against the pavement pretty hard.

[​IMG]

I'm trying to give a "thumbs up" in this pic to the kick ass ER team lol (I was also pretty loopy from the morphine :lol: )...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No shot of the torn ligaments (shoulder) because, well, you can't see it..but Christ almighty do I feel it, especially trying to sleep, pfft.

Last edited: May 17, 2020