Anyone here have a Twin Reverb?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Marshall Stack, Nov 17, 2021.

1. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I had borrowed a Fender Blues Deville in the 90s that had four Jenson speakers. It had a Bassman type of sound. You definitely felt the notes. The song "Scar Tissue" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers has a Bassman. John plays three solos; one clean, one with overdrive, and then one with fuzz. Kind of cool...

2. Marshall Stack

I had the space but it is more the volume aspect than the weight. I have a Princeton Reverb Reissue and even though it is 15 watts, you can't turn it up more than 3 or 4 before I start wondering if my neighbors hear it...

3. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

ElectroVoice, SRO model. The coffee can models have huge alnico magnets. Cast aluminum frames.

The SRO transitioned into the EVM. Same cone and voice coil but huge ceramic magnet with a different shaped cast frame. The EVM used those magnets/frames with different cones/voice coils.

Marshall Stack and jmp45 like this.
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the head version a Dual Showman red knob and i'll admit this thing is BIZARRE! The preamp is not normal, the design is way out and it's like many other amps the clean is fine but the drive channel sucks ass. May need to try it with an OD pedal didn't have one when i was messin with it a few years ago.

5. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Marshall Stack likes this.
  6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

Folgers

colchar, Peter McAteer and jmp45 like this.
  7. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

The thing with bigger amps, and bigger enclosures, is that they sound better and more balanced across the frequency spectrum, when compared to smaller ones. And this is especially true in lower volumes.

For example, take a 4x12. Even at whisper volume, it will sound great. It's totally doable to play it in an apartment and get a good sound, more so than a single 12 or 10 speaker.

I prefer a twin at 1 rather then a smaller amp at 3. The electronics, the enclosure, the speakers..

colchar, StrummerJoe and jmp45 like this.
  8. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

My former boss Dave Bunk Sr. (RIP, miss ya big guy!) had an original '65 Twin. Freakin' LOUD. Gloriuosly loud. Clean loud. It will drive if your ears aren't already bleeding by the time you get there.

When I worked at Bunker Guitars we were next to a dance studio for a while. I knew when the Moms were coming to pick up their kiddies. I always managed to be loud around then...

It was great at night when the shops next to us would be closed. That's when I got to test out our guitars and repairs and really got to hear what that amp could do. Good times.

9. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

70 lb.......Luxury! My Twin with SRO's is 90 lb:thumb:

jmp45 and Silverdome like this.
  10. Silverdome

Silverdome Well-Known Member

Actually got my Pro Reverb back from the repair shop. Going to be tough to part ways with it and might just keep it. Thing sounds so damn good now. Sounds like a perfect sixties Nuggets garage rock amp to my ears.

11. Wildeman

Thats a great amp, these big iron Fenders aren't whats hot right now but i think they're gonna be. I think they rule at any volume myself, i play my Twin at low volume all the time and love its thick, warm 3 dimensional sound.

jmp45, Marshall Stack and Silverdome like this.
  12. Silverdome

You are correct. Also, the tremolo and reverb are so damn good. Love the swirling sound.

Also, one pedal that goes well with it is the Jetter Helium Overdrive. Very light overdrive but gives it that Rolling Stones style edge of breakup sound.

13. Wildeman

Cool, definitely need a boost/OD with these.

14. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Been scoping out a Twin Reverb II ( Rivera era ) lately. I already have a DR II that is phenomenal. Very full and warm - but in tandem with my SD-1 and RAT it's BEASTLY Beautiful. Lately I've been more so in this direction. I'm looking to run an EV12L 1x12 cab in tandem with my 3210 head with a stereo 1x12 BF Fender. Looking forward to tone HAVEN.

15. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

I have a 1969 Twin that's recently been re-worked to original specs. It's loud as can be. Mostly good for the clean tones. I'm really not crazy about how it breaks up when you turn it up. The clean tones are beautiful though.

16. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

74 Super Six Reverb in a head case ATM. Original circuit minus large caps. So much juice!
    I love those punchy cleans through my Marshall quad and it's not bad for bass, either.
    I have owned quite a few Fenders and Peaveys as they were quite plentiful around here.
    Marshalls were almost non-existent to us hacks.

17. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I have two. A '69 Silverface and a '75 reworked to Blackface specs. Hands down the best clean tone that's ever been invented!

Sounds awesome with Tubescreamers and old-school fuzz too..But yeah, they're heavy as hell!

Both of mine have the castors, but I've never been crazy about them as they can cause the amp to take a dive if one turns the amp too far one way or the other, so I did like a lot of other folks and took them off.

18. Silverdome

Looking at recent Marshall prices the classic Marshall's new (jCM800, Plexi, 1987X) etc are so friggin expensive. You are talking 2k plus and the JCM 800 is over 3k! The second market you are talking just around 2k and as we know buying used you take a risk.

I priced my Pro Reverb from the 70's recently and they go for $700. Vintage Fenders are far and away the better value and for what you get bang for the buck is hard to beat.

19. Wildeman

Right now on my local CL there's a SF Twin for $700.00 and a SF Champ for $800.00:rofl:
    I know what id buy...

Silverdome likes this.
  20. Marshall Stack

I bought a SF Champ this summer for $650. It is all original ( except the caps which are in a box the seller gave me). It is for a different purpose; it allows me to have power tube overdrive at a decent volume.