Anyone Have/played A Ceriatone 2202?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Angus Rhoads, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

Been reading about this little amp and it sounds really intriguing, but obviously I can't just run down to my local GC and try one out. Wondering how they feel as well as sound? Decent approximation of a 2203/2204? Reliable?

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

A few of us are thinking about this one, I'm on the verge of getting one but waiting for someone else to get it first and confirm if its good. I spoke to a guy who sold his on Reverb, he said it wasnt what he was expecting it didnt have enough gain for his liking he said he should have gotten the Son Of Yeti. All the videos I've seen of the 2202 it sounds great and has plenty of gain IMO for all kinds of rock, hard rock, modern rock, the stuff I play. The cost for one is so low I might just go for it.

3. Angus Rhoads

Yeah, I was thinking that too (about the low cost) but then if I end up not liking it I'm not sure how easy it would be to offload. I've already got my high gain stuff so I'm not looking for crazy preamp drive on this one, which a 2203/2204 never had on its own anyway. I'd love to go with a real JCM800 but even the 50W combos I try only start to sound right at volumes that are well past what I'll usually be able to use at home. I'm not just talking gain/drive, which you can boost with a pedal, but the actual feel and response of the thing. Been wondering what is out there in the lower wattage world that can do that without rattling the walls. I tried a couple of JCM-1's that have been for sale but that one is too low-powered, honestly like my SL5 better.

4. pedecamp

Wish I could try an SL5 again, I didnt really get what they were when they first came out, now I realize its a mini JCM800 with 2 channels and reverb pretty much right?

5. pedecamp

Heres what the guy said to me on Reverb:

"Paul - That's correct can't do metal without a pedal joined in. The good about the 2202 is it does classic rock well and the build quality is A+++++. Its a loud 20 watt head is the reason I sold mine because it does not do bedroom levels at all and thats all I do is a bedroom rockstar. Meaning turning the volume to 2 is freakin loud. I think the volume on 5 is max. I did not see any volume increase after 5. The dial called the PPIMV thin out the tone when turned down sounding tinny. Overall the amp is awesome is a live performance when cranked but in my opinion any other use is useless. Have you did research on the Son of Yeti? I heard that does heavy metal really well."

6. Angus Rhoads

I'd say modded-JCM800 with 2 channels and reverb, yeah. The lead channel can do JCM800 tones but more like a 2205/2210, a little more compressed and edgy than a 2203/2204. Wicked fun little amp though. OK, it's actually not so little (kinda heavy too). Now that I think about it, I may try swapping one of my other speakers for the stock V30, I might actually be able to get closer to a 2203 sound after all.

7. pedecamp

So my thought on this guy's comments is he didn't spend enough time tweaking to get good use of the PPIMV. This amp is chock full of features, a 3 way bright switch, boost switch, fat switch, deep control, resonance control (pussy trimmer) and a PPIMV, then all the usual controls on a 2204/2203 presence, preamp control (gain), etc.

He was trying to get metal tones out of it, wrong amp for that without a pedal, and he said the amp was too loud for bedroom, that's what the PPIMV is for. If his PPIMV thinned out his tone and made it tinny he had all those controls to work it out to sound better, I dont think he spent the time. We wont know until somebody breaks down and buys one LOL. Its only $450 without head box and tubes, that's what I was thinking of going with to keep it on the cheap, I got plenty of tubes and I can build my own head box.

8. pedecamp

I say put a 75, 65 or greenback in it. You've got a mini 2203 already, I don't think you need the 2202. Does the SL5 have a jack for extension cab?

9. Angus Rhoads

I have a couple of 65s and also a Lynchback I can try, also a Classic Lead 80. I have an extension cable for speaker hookups so I can test it through one of my other combos. I think the V30 is great for that AFD tone but it's not a traditional JCM800 sound.

Regarding the Reverb guy, I think you're right - shouldn't have expected high gain from a 2203 clone and he probably didn't spend enough time figuring out the controls.

10. pedecamp

I'm not a V30 fan at all, every amp I have sounds terrible with them, I'll be offloading my V30 at some point. My all time favorite is the 75, they just sound good with all my amps no matter the brand, Marshall, Orange, Fender, Vox. Right now I have greenbacks in my cab and they sound good too but I like the 75's best, I have a small collection of speakers that I rotate through my 2x12 every 6-12 months for variety sake of tone. I guess your Lynchback is like a greenback right?

11. Angus Rhoads

Similar to a GB but smoother in the highs and more woody, percussive bottom end. Has a similar midrange though, more laid back than 65s or V30s.

pedecamp likes this.
  12. SuperFleeky

SuperFleeky Member

I've had a Ceriatone 2202 for a couple months now. I used it for a handful of gigs where I've needed a smaller amp for a smaller venue. I paired it with a few different cabs, but my Two-Rock 1x12 open back loaded with a Vintage 30 delivered my favorite tones. I also own a Marshall 2203, and the 2202 does have the same vibe, so it's a keeper. It does take some tweaking (and I'm not into tweaking; hence one of my fav amps being the 2203), but it delivers that fantastic, in your face, aggressive, classic rock punch at lower volumes... not MUCH lower, but lower than a 2203.

I'm not a high gain junkie (I run my 2203 gain at 1:30 o'clock) for my main rhythm tones, so the 2202 has more than enough gain on tap. I run the 2202 gain at 10 o'clock, master on 5, and use the PPIMV as my master volume for any given room. This is not a bedroom amp. To get the goods, you have to set it closer to stage volume, for sure.

I had the buffered FX loop installed because I use the loop not only for time-based effects, but for dynamics... a couple EQ pedas in the loop for both cleaning up (slight boost in volume and higher frequencies for when I use my guitar volume and pickup selector for cleans) and leads (big boost in volume and upper mids). The loop delivers.

When I need more compressed more liquid gain, I hit it with an overdrive for tapping and legato leads; otherwise, I keep it's natural tighter tone without any pedals. If you dig a more dynamic amp with less compression, you'll enjoy the 2202.

I'm happy to entertain any specific questions about the 2202. Heaven knows I wish I could have found someone to chat about it with before I bought it. For the price, I took and chance, and in this case, I was lucky to get something truly useful and a pleasure to play.

pedecamp likes this.
  13. Figaro

Figaro New Member

I’m interested in getting a Ceriatone 2202 but I’m surprised that you said that it needs to be loud to sound good? With all of its controls and PPIV Master volume I would think you could adjust it to sound good at lower around-the-house (but not bedroom) volumes?

14. DonP

DonP Active Member

It's been a couple of years. Did you keep yours? Has anyone else tried one?

I'm on the fence if I wan't / need one.

Thanks.

15. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you need one

16. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I would'nt think twice.It's half the price of a studio sc.Plus all hand made.You can even ask nik to mod it to your liking.

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

The 2202 is one of the few amps I have never seen a bad review on, always positive stuff. It seems to be a real good 2203 / 4 with a few extras on it. I bought a Chupacabra 50w from them and love it, in fact I will soon be calling them to see about a custom amp. If your not sure about the gain, they make the Son Of Yeti and will make a Chupa 20w which are both modded Plexi's and have ton's of gain. All are super well priced, in fact you could buy a 2202 AND S.O.Y for the price of a 20w Marshall and have it all. If you call Nik at Ceriatone and tell him you might like a 2202 but with more gain, he may be able to do it. (Add another gain stage?) I think you will love the amp as is, but even if you don't they sell used for almost what you paid for them. An 800 is not a super high gain amp in the first place.

wntbtw likes this.
  18. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

While i dont have. Ceriatone i do have an 18watt Budda twinmaster that is loud as f&$k. For a low watt amp it breathes fire. To get the gain it has to be loud. Imagine same on the same watt amps from matshall and ceriatone

19. SuperFleeky

SuperFleeky Member

I do still have it, but once the Marshall Studio Classic came out, I've not been using the Ceriatone as much. I have to say that the Studio Classic is a bit sweeter sounding and can get the tones at lower volumes compared to the Ceriatone. The Ceriatone is more flexible, but honestly, I don't need all the switches and adjustments. I'm usually one to get my amp set, leave it alone, and use my guitar volume, pickup selector, and pedals to get variety in my tone. If the Studio Classic had come out sooner, I would have skipped the 2202.

wntbtw likes this.
  20. SuperFleeky

SuperFleeky Member

It's all personal taste as far a what one hears as good tone, so for me it has to be tight (no high gain fizz or compression) and that needs a little volume. To be exact, I was measuring about 100 dB while practicing. That's not quite stage volume, but it's certainly not bedroom volume.