Anyone have or use the Hot Mod?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by shredless, Apr 14, 2021.

1. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

Thoughts, opinions?

Drinkingdeath01 likes this.
  2. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yep. They're pretty cool and do as expected. I have the original and the new version came in the mail yesterday. Haven't tried it yet.
    There's a couple of really informative threads on them here with David, the owner of Legendary Tones. I'd post links for you but I'm not very computer savy.

Gunner64 and shredless like this.
  3. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Member

Installed the Hot Mod V2 Evo in my '81 2204 last week. It sounds amazing. The YouTube demos pretty much nail it. I was worried it might be noisy, but it's very quiet. Great alternative to punching a hole in a vintage chassis just to add another preamp tube.

Gunner64 likes this.
  4. shredless

shredless Well-Known Member

Wondering how they work with a modded amp. I know theres alot of variables involved. I have cathode resistors drop/bypass, plate increase, b+ drop, zener clipper, res mod.

5. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the above. It works awesome. No holes, no muss, no fuss.

As far as how it would function in your amp you would need to contact the designer @David Szabados, who is a member here and ask him.

David Szabados likes this.
  6. David Szabados

David Szabados Member Platinum Supporting Member

I’ve had folks buy them and use them with various modded Marshall amps or clones like the Ceriatone Chupacabra which is kind of a Jose mod take, and it has worked great for them. BUT it’s never a guarantee that it will work for every amp or every person. So if someone buys a Hot Mod V2 Evo or Lynch Mod and doesn’t like it, they can always send it back. It’s much more important to me that someone enjoys it than to force someone to keep it just to make a few $$.