Anyone have a Ceriatone Yeti?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by 99_Revolutions, Feb 20, 2016.

1. 99_Revolutions

99_Revolutions Active Member

Really interested in these amps. If someone would pm me that owns one, I'd love to ask some questions. Also if you have sound clips, post links! Pics too if you have em!

Thanks!

2. Len

Len Well-Known Member

Have you used the forum search engine? There are a couple of threads from a few months ago.

3. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-is it just me or is every "factory CERITONE" clip sound like sh*t?

4. 99_Revolutions

When I searched, the forums were from a few years ago.

5. 99_Revolutions

Just curious as to how close it comes to the "Dookie Mod" Martin Golub did to Billie Joe's live amps.

6. Zado

Zado Active Member

The clips in the site sound pretty bad honestly. However the amp in person in another thing. It's a great amp with many great tones, and the only reason why I haven't sold my car to get a Friedman BE in first place.

7. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

The Yeti/Chupacabra amps are a very close copy of the early Fortin Cali mod, which is a version of the classic Jose mod. When I had my Chupa I played it side by side with a Fortin and they were nearly identical. That being said, I believe the Dookie mod is much different from a Jose style mod.

8. NewReligion

NewReligion Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Well that's not exactly fair, lol but I agree as Nik at CeriaClone has ripped off many of "his" line products from other famous musician/Amp-Tech's...FACT

Problem is he uses **** transformers sometimes and does NOT have the entire circuit figured out.

The Yeti and Chuppa are just spin off's of the Jose mod. He is now F8cking other people (friends) out of their designs by offering cost cutter budgeted for $1,500 USD (Which I understand as many younger people can not afford a collection of 4K amps.

But just one wrong component can cheapen the entire tone.

Again my $.02

David ♫

SG~GUY and sloan_amps like this.
  9. NewReligion

10. NewReligion

The BE(HBE) 100 is all tube and top notch quality until you select the SAT switch which engages the clipping diode which IMO sounds terrible when compared on/off/on...If you have it on when you turn on the amp I think okay cool...Then I switch it off and the clarity and saturation pour forth...I prefer my Gen 1 without tone controls for clean channel just volume. It is PTP with some lead dress and different components...sweet. I use my Gen 2 BE 100 live as it is easily replaced if lost...

The Yeti and Chuppa are Diode clippers (Jose).

This is what a great Diode clipping job can sound like below.

David ♫

I don't mind the IPhone recordings myself.

By the way Mark is a hell of a player(Beware Shred lol)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxWWls6o7jQ[/ame]

Now this sounds like a fukking TOY IMO!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aonl64MZWk[/ame]

SG~GUY likes this.
  11. Bloodrock

That's a good price for a Fortin. My only beef with most modders is that they tend to shift the Marshall mid frequency lower when they do mods causing a Marshall to sound more like a Mesa. I HATE that. I love the cutting Marshall midrange! Cameron seemed to keep more of the Marshall mid sound in his mods, at least until the CCV, which definitely has the mids neutered. That amp really disappointed me.

Note: that clip above sounds WAY different than the CCV I played. Much better!

12. NewReligion

You have a great ear.

Mark built that CCV above, not going to get into all that, not his fault. Dude can build an amp! Just don't believe everything you read my $.02

13. renoman_89502

renoman_89502 Member

I've owned a Ceriatone Yeti 50w for a few years now and I assure you that it DOES NOT sound like a fukking toy. Great amp ....is it the best ? NO
    Still does a GREAT modded Marshall sound ...Clean to scream !:hbang:

14. rmroza

rmroza Active Member

"-is it just me or is every "factory CERITONE" clip sound like sh*t?"

"Problem is he uses **** transformers sometimes and does NOT have the entire circuit figured out."

YES! All of the Ceriatone clips I've heard suck IMHO. They are not recorded well with stupid iPhones and compromised fidelity. They are recorded by people who are on the budgetel, so who knows what speakers they are using and may be junk. Other clips, the people don't know how to set the FX in the loop without clipping, so sounds like **** and clips even on a clean setting!

Yes, Ceriatone/Nik has "Holy Grail" rebadged components. Who knows what the longevity is? There is a difference in quality between F&Ts and Nichicon and some knockoff brand and also 500 hour caps versus 2000, 3000, or 10,000 hr!

Because I have a means and want to know the real truth about these amps, I have a brand new King Kong 100w coming! I want to video and demo it. With tried and true speakers such as Celestions and SM57 mics and using the settings specified in the manual for 70s, 80s, 90s, and modern tone. I want to "see" the design and construction and materials and give a good review of it. I understand the loop sucks and robs tone. In the manual, Nik suggested a solid state one would be used, but it's been 2 years and no change. After reviewing it as-is, I will probably replace the loop with a Metro loop.

Stay tuned and I'll let you guys know in a couple months!

As for the Yeti, it's a slightly modified Chupa (which is a Jose HG design). The Yeti is a little more modern and thicker, but the same circuit and with zener clippers.

From the manual and information the KK is a slightly modified Yeti, again Jose HG-based, but of course 2 channel and solo. It has HUGE iron also. I want to check out the noise and noise floor and as this is a DC heater design also.

SG~GUY likes this.
  15. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in debating tiny circuit variations that people feel they can hear in iPhone recordings or joining the many "your <insert Marshall based amp> sucks, my <insert another Marshall based amp> is so much better" arguments. That said, I do own several Ceriatone amps (not a Yeti).

I have spent many years playing guitar and as a live/studio engineer. I've owned and heard a lot of great amps and I rank my Ceriatone amps among the best sounding. I'm no amp builder but the hand wiring is beautiful to my eye; all my dealings with Nik have been excellent. I have over 5 years of frequent use on my oldest Ceriatone amps and I've always used the stock parts - the stock transformers sound great to me. While it's easy to find internet criticism of pretty much anything, I think you will be hard pressed to find much criticism of Nik from people that have first hand experience. Carry on gents :wave:

Ghostman likes this.
  16. NewReligion

Exactly what I said...♫

SG~GUY likes this.
  17. Bloodrock

Yeah I know all the [email protected]!T slinging stories about Mark. I don't care. I will own one of his mods one day. :yesway:

SG~GUY and NewReligion like this.
  18. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-SOMEONE BUY MY MINT CONDITION 2203KK-(nos pre's & GOLD LION KTBB's + the MARFSHALL KT88's)-so I can buy the FORTIN!!!

-word on the street was that CERITONE bought a CAMERON CCV and re-engineered it,.. and CERITONE calls it the KING KONG

-just saying-

19. NewReligion

Absolute TRUTH but they got it WRONG LMFAO...

SG~GUY likes this.
  20. NewReligion

Good for you and Good for him.

David ♫