Anyone got an update on transformers?

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by ToneWitch, Sep 11, 2021.

1. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I know that Brian Wallace does his own teardowns and specs the build for Heyboer and pretty sure George did the same. How different these are from Heyboers stock offerings I do not know. I do know that the wiring colours have to be the same as originals on my builds/restos tho';)

yladrd61, mAx___ and _Steve like this.
  2. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Amp Parts Direct just sold out of the 50 watt Drake copies. They still have some Dagnall copies. These are the OT’s made by Heyboer. I was told that they expect more of the Drake type in a few weeks. I figure that these will be as good as the ones that Heyboer makes for Metro or Marstran.

In the meantime I rehearsed with a 2204 clone tonight that has a Merren OT in it. It sounded better as the night went on. That same amp had a Classictone OT in it two weeks ago and it sounded worse as the night went on. Could the Merren be that much better? I’d love to get another Merren but he’s not shipping.

3. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

How could any thinking human not be skeptical, cynical and/or suspicious of anything in a universe where entities fool around with ailments the could potentially make their species become extinct? When those who are in positions to "lead by example" set the example that cheating, lying and stabbing each other in the back is acceptable, well.........?

"It's nothing personal, its just business" has been the phrase used as a supposed excuse for multitudes of atrocities throughout history!

Life In Oh Wellia,
    Gene

4. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis

My experience with amp building has lead me to two things with ClassicTone iron. First is the PT's always seem to perform very well, but are always about 8% higher in voltage spec than rated on paper. If you account for that they always have been great, solid PT iron.

As far as the ClassicTone OT iron, my experience has been they run in the good to sometimes very good category, but never outstandingly great. I think they do not have that certain touch of small ultra linear to them to make them outstanding. YMMV, of course.

harleytech likes this.
  5. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

Would that have been because they were accurately copying old 110-115V windings?

6. Chris-in-LA

I have two 2204 clones, the first one had all Classictone iron, the second is a Mojotone build with their Heyboer PT and I originally had the Merren OT in it. I did measure the b+ on both PT’s before switching the Merren OT and the PT’s measured within a few volts of each other.

I initially switched out the OT as an experiment as the clone with the Classictone seemed to lack something compared to my other 2204’s. I didn’t think that the switch would amount to much but it did. Chords were crunchy and articulate, single notes were clear and audible, not the way that amp usually sounded in that room. It was brighter, but in a good way. Hell, our singer didn’t even complain that I was too loud like she did the week before.

mAx___ likes this.
  7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

8. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

My recently acquired JTM 45/100 was built by him.

neikeel likes this.
  9. Chris-in-LA

10. Chris-in-LA

So, Brian Wallace at Marstran finally emailed me back to say that he has some OT’s in stock and that he would send me an invoice for one. Can’t hurt to have an extra one I suppose.

11. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

Interesting. Coincidentally I had a different vendor email me back today about a hifi transformer ive been waiting on finally becoming available. Obviously two cases does not make a pattern but I wonder if this could be a sign Heyboer might be clearing their backlog?

12. Chris-in-LA

We’ll see.

13. Chris-in-LA

Brian at Marstran just took my money through PayPal, with any luck he’ll drop my OT in the mail this week. In the meantime I did receive a Heyboer Drake copy from Amp Parts Direct. I know that Heyboer makes the Marstran iron as well. We’ll see how similar they are in construction.

14. Tweed Dluxe

Tweed Dluxe New Member

Any update on the Drake replica from Amp Parts Direct vs Metro?

I’m looking to do a JTM45 build and wasn’t sure if I should hold out for the Metro?

15. Chris-in-LA

No telling when Metro will be back. They still haven’t filled all their back orders. My buddy just heard from George telling him that his stuff will ship eventually. George is having so much trouble getting what he needs he had to take a regular job to make ends meet. But Amp Parts Direct does have jtm45 iron in stock made by Heyboer, that would be tempting to me.

16. Chris-in-LA

I did buy the Heyboer Drake copy OT from Amp Parts Direct and put it into one of my 2204 clones and it sounds great so far, has great harmonic overtones, very close to my stock 2204 and also rivals the Merren OT I bought last year.

Bryan at Marstran also finally shipped me one of his 784-139 OT copies. That means I have an extra OT. Time for another build.

upload_2021-11-15_16-36-59.jpeg

mAx___ and Tweed Dluxe like this.