>

Anyone familiar with these?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ampeq, Sep 21, 2021.

1. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

These people are not very far from me, https://blackwoodamplification.com/
    They can rebuild my Gibson amp. Other than the electronic part my amp is missing a rear board and needs new tolex. The grill is fine and I think the Jensen speaker is ok. Point to point board is small and simple but it looks like it may be modded. I want it stock, these amps sound very good in the video’s I saw. I can’t find prices on these amps.

DreamerDeceiver likes this.
  2. Dblgun

Dblgun Well-Known Member

Are you looking for them to work on your Gibson or to buy one of their amps? If it is the latter since they're close go take one for a test drive. I don't have any experience with that builder but they look to have a good selection.

Clifdawg likes this.
  3. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Just looking for them to work on my Gibson amp for now, and down the road should the need arise. I talked to them this morning and they seem great. We shall see soon.

4. DreamerDeceiver

DreamerDeceiver Well-Known Member

They are in CT

Expensive.
    Buy an amp at $100 per watt type of place.

5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I had a feeling they were pricey. I couldn’t find any price on any of their amps. But I did talk to the guy that runs it and he lives about 15 minutes from me. I don’t know just how much it will be yet but so far it seems reasonable. Next I’ll need to find a place to recover the cab.

6. DreamerDeceiver

Definitely quality,
    and if youre in the mystic area , convenient.
    Too rich for my blood.

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

What is in CT, is it a store he has? I’d like to check them out if so, although I am pretty happy with Ceriatone should I need another amp. He lives in Westerly RI, I have to drop off the amp there this week. Amps are his “night” job it turns out.

8. DreamerDeceiver

I know he does business with Alpha audio works, they are righton the line.They may even stock his amps?

9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Thanks, I’ll find out when I see him. I always like to see high end amps and how they are made. With any luck he may call tomorrow or Friday.

10. DreamerDeceiver

The online pics of his stuff looks pretty tight .
    Keep us posted.

ampeq likes this.
  11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Dropped my amp off sat. and met with him, seems like a great guy. He has a big play pen with lots of goodies to check out, I was there for 3 hours. I had a great time talking with him and learning about amps. This guy works a full day job, is in 2 bands, fix’s amps and builds his own. Crazy! Right now he can’t get parts he needs to replace amps that sold this summer. So my amp should not take very long. He has some very interesting stuff, at least 20 prototype amps. I would say most of the stuff we played with was like hot rod Fenderish sort of amps. Very good quality. (Some Marshall stuff too.) When I get my amp back will tell the story. I’ll let you know.

12. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

The Nova 266 could be purchased on looks alone. Hot damn.

13. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

14. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Yeh, yeh, yeh, I get it. Not big on the silver either, HOWEVER, they do come in black, red, etc. and if you read up on them they “should” be very nice. (To much dough to try though.) ‘68 Plexi with 2 & 3 gain stages with some very nice extras built in. Nice foot switch too, very Mesa like. Go to the web site and look at the “artists” list, these are some dark dudes my friend. Some regular folks to, like Steve Vai, Steve Lukather, but being made in Poland scares me. It could easily sound more like H&K stuff, very modern, which I don’t like. The guy builds some nice stuff though, check out the small amps / stacks they have. They still have most of the goodies on them.
    https://www.mlcamps.com/

16. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Got a call from him today and all is good. He has everything but the tremolo working now, and had to order a couple tubes to keep going. Ton's of stuff in it was wrong, even the power tubes were mis-matched. (I think he said the rectifier tube was wrong also.) Had to replace some caps, new wire with ground, the 4 inputs were bad, all the tubes, etc. Once he gets the trem. ch. working he can fine tune the amp, can't wait. I'll run it awhile to make sure it's all good, then send the box out to be recovered. Even with all the work he has put in so far, and parts, he told me we were around $175 including the tubes that are coming. I didn't think that sounded too bad, do you? I think if I can get this amp back to great shape and working like it's supposed to for under $500 it's well worth it. I don't see it going that high unless I also need a speaker. He said it's very loud and has an excellent crunch sound, which is what I have seen as well. We shall see fairly soon.

17. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Go check them out. Look at their work. Play through some amps. Ask if you can see under the hood of one they are working on.

And there is no such thing as point to point boards. That is handwired, not PTP. PTP doesn't use boards. Last time! :nono:

;) :cheers:

18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Huh?
    Not sure we’re on the same page. The PTP thing I got the first time, in another post. The outfit I am talking about here was to have them work on my amp. I don’t want to buy one, just wondered how good their work was. I have my 60’s Gibson Ranger GA20 there now and he is doing a great job with it. I would very much recommend them.

19. DreamerDeceiver

$ 175 doesnt sound bad for all that.

Excellent, Im glad things are working out.