Anyone Ever?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MarshallDog, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like your in a typical rut that we've all been in before, but yours is compounded by lame bandmates.

If they aren't as motivated to rehearse like you are then you have the wrong people to play with. Find someone else to play with that will make it fun again. Doesn't need to be a full band, just even one new person to throw song ideas at may be all you need. Keep it simple and light and the fun and fulfillment shall return. The minute music is forced then it becomes work. Once it becomes work then its not worth doing.

Bull Rock, marshalltsl, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

im about 90% in for the shut down myself.

tce63, MarshallDog and stringtree like this.
  3. Drinkingdeath01

Are you playing or writing originals or covers ? I've found that mixing up the two helps me out of a rut. If your writing original riffs I've always found that a simple recording rig and a drum machine help fuel some creativity. If no one else wants to jam then who needs them ? Drum machine, four track recorder and a bottle of Grey Goose is all I need.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

I took about a two year sabbatical after the band I was in split up. It was a great band, all solid musicians, and we all got along really well. But at some point it just stopped being fun and became a job (we had a house gig and worked literally every weekend from ‘94-‘98).

When I finally pulled the gear back out and started playing again it was purely for fun, with the emphasis on home recording. For me, the recording process is every bit as enjoyable and musically/creatively rewarding as the finished product is. Since I’m doing it for myself now, I only have to answer to me and I have found that I actually enjoy it more than playing in front of people-probably because everything is on my terms and my schedule.

5. Drinkingdeath01

My bad, one more little question, 60k into a basement ? We're gonna need to see some pictures of that. Lol.

If it isn't the super badass ultimate mega man cave then I will be disappointed.:dude:

6. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

@MarshallDog

I'm living through what you are now contemplating...and its not enjoyable by any means.
    I had a slightly different situation kick it off, but in the end, all gone.

If you feel you need a break, pack it all up and put it out of sight. When you've decompressed from the issues that are
    dragging you down, and you desire to play again, you will have it.

The problem with getting rid of it all, is you might not be at a point where you can get it all back. Maybe somethings will not be found again. The pain and heartache of trying to get it all back is a million times worse than what you are going through at this moment.

Don't Divorce your gear! Music is part of you. Give yourself time to find it again, and fall back in love with playing.

Advise for the future you, get into recording. Whether its covers or originals, and share your passion. The rest will fall back into place. Nothing good comes from pushing so hard to make things happen.

@ricksdisconnected

It pains me to know you feel this way too.

7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Stringtree..I will seriously keep this im mind. I do feel I have a lot of gear time and money invested and if I give it up it will be difficult to replace if at all...thanks again for the advice! Maybe I'll stop play for a few months this summer IDK!

8. MarshallDog

Too bad we dont live closer, we could play together and help each other!

9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Sit down with your significant other, a beer, your guitar and watch TV.

Play along with the commercials.

When you don't play, do some push ups and squats.

Put down your guitar then, don't spill your beer and play with your significant other.

Have what you want close.

10. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I've been there. Did garage bands late 70's though the early 90's. Didn't have a desire to gig just share a common interest and had a lot of fun. Got married and got into rifle competition and blew up my last amp. Kept a guitar but stopped looking at gear, going to shops or shows. Got divorced.

Getting back into guitars is all my kid's fault. He started drumming at 12 and told me 'Dad, if you had an amp, we could jam!' Thus began 6 years of hanging with him, finding Marshall [EXACTLY like finding God...] and picking up some jam buddies & Marshall freaks. It all came roaring back ten fold. Learned a new hobby to build cabs.

I actually got a tiny bit better on guitar too - but don't tell anyone.

Then I moved to small town E Tennessee. The thrill has worn down, looking to downside some. BUT I plan to keep playing for mental and hand stimulation. I know I'll rebuild a closer music support system it just takes time.

It's OK to take a break - you don't have to shit can everything or cancel your membership to this forum. Keep a toe in the water. Listen to other music you don't normally listen to.

The only time you can't come back is when they're throwing dirt in your face.

Russ

11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Obviously, lack of drugs and alcohol duh.

EndGame00 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. MarshallDog

If only and for a while!

tce63 likes this.
  13. MarshallDog

It all sounds good except the significant other part...maybe GF, phuck buddy or friends with benefits?! Oh how I miss the good ol days...dam, nothing gets better as you get older except wisdom...and thats the cold hard truth!

14. MarshallDog

So please let me ask Frodebro...do you play drums, bass and keys along with geetar? Or do you use digital? I have all I can do with just the geetar?

15. MarshallDog

Russ...thanks a bunch Bro, your words are heart felt...not to be a puss but bringing a tear to MD's eyes...dam Bro!

This:

"It's OK to take a break
    you don't have to shit
    can everything or cancel your membership to this forum
    Keep a toe in the water
    Listen to other music you don't normally listen to

The only time you can't come back
    is when they're throwing dirt in your face."

There is a deep song in this Bro, seriously!

16. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Ya big puss! I spit food on my laptop!

You are very welcome. Just keep them words around for when I need them!

Russ

17. MarshallDog

Russ, I sure and hell will!!!!!

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

67 y.o. I quit for a year back in 72 after my first professional road gig, sold everything except a 3/4 size 12 string that I left at my folks house. I felt like I had played all the three chord rock I could take, was bored stiff by my own playing and wasn't likely to get any better. Worked as a gigolo and beachcomber in Laguna Beach for 12 months and was sitting on a bench listening to a guy playing some ragged blues on an old beater. He noticed me watching and asked if I played. I picked up his Stella and out of nowhere played a tune that had been going in my head for weeks. I thanked him, got back up to my folks place, traded the 12 string for a Strat and found my old bass player and drummer. I didn't take another break until my melanoma surgery. Funny thing about that though,knowing that I had major surgery coming up on my left hand and my doctors opinion that I'd have some significant loss of function in my left thumb, I actually bought two new guitars. I played the 2017 Les Paul GT a bit before the surgery, but I only got the Epi Riviera the day before and played it for maybe 20 minutes. Now I back and trying to make up for lost time. Hand is still a little weak, but I'm gettin' there! I honestly don't know if I'll gig again, but I'd like to get back stay sharp enough to have the option.

19. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

My primary instrument is the guitar, but I started on the keyboards when I was about six years old. I never took it as seriously as the guitar (which came later), but I can play reasonably well enough to accomplish what I'm after. I do have a bass guitar that I use only for recording, I never touch it otherwise. For drums, I'm a keyboard drummer using software. Sometimes I'll use MIDI grooves, sometimes I create my own. When doing it from scratch, this is the most time consuming part of the recording process as I put a ton of effort into making it sound like a real drummer would-not some eight-armed freak of nature thing.

I think that the thing that keeps it fun for me is that I rarely ever go about it with established goals-I will stumble across a riff or melody line while noodling on the couch, and then I'll fire up the computer and the music develops as I go. No expectations, no preconceived end results, and no sense of frustration if things aren't developing the way I would have wanted them to-because I don't have that mindset at all when I'm working on stuff. I just let everything happen at its own pace and it develops on its own, which is usually inspirational in itself.

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  20. MarshallDog

Awesome story Biddlin! A gigolo and beachcomber in Laguna CA?!!! Dam, I have been there a few times beautiful!!! You must have been the man dam! Good for you livin' the life many dream of! I would love to hear some stories....which I am sure you have!