Anyone Else On A Weight Loss/fitness Trip Since New Year?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Adieu, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

All I can say about a carnivorous diet is:
    I just measured my waist to be 34" and did 400 decline knuckle pushups and 200 situps in a day... 45 days ago, it was 39" and the idea of even 100 regular pushups seemed daunting and painful.

And that's despite fucking up my knee and pretty much suspending half my planned exercise for 3 weeks... just getting back into action now, powerwalked 2.5 miles yesterday, planning 3.5 today and so on, increase back up to 10km, then start incorporating some jogging next week.

PS weight barely budged, 5 or 6 kilos down for 5" of belly flab... lots and lots more muscle though. Doesn't seem like something achievable on a vegan diet

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    DaDoc, EndGame00 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

A little dairy cheese is fine its the drinking a big class of milk or two everyday and ice cream etc thats not good.

Greek yogurt no sugar and light cottage cheese is actually good for you.

stringtree and Jethro Rocker like this.
  3. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I still struggle doing proper pushups.... I always break them 15 reps of 5 sets, 15 second rest each set...I could never do 100 pushups in one set due to muscle fatigue... i like doing goblet squats with 70-lb dumbell...

stringtree and MarshallDog like this.
  4. MarshallDog

Dont feel bad. If one does pushups with really good form (back straight, legs straight, touch your nose chest and stomach to the floor) and do them with a nice controlled moderate speed, it will make them very tough to do and very effective versus the clowns that do poor form and do them super fast.

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Increase reps per set daily, space sets like an hour apart.

It'll bring it up to like 35 or 50 per set quick and easy. Then you can increase set count if you feel like it.

Key points:
    1) daily
    2) spaced out
    3) keep increasing
    4) NO rest days
    5) exceed your dietary protein needs by at least +100 grams protein

stringtree likes this.
  6. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

It’s achievable if done properly

I’m not an advocate for Veganism but I don’t think it’s inherently bad by any means and there are plenty of problems associated with a diet that has too much meat in it.

7. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

No it's not

You can build massive muscles on 10 extra grams of protein a day or something, sure... but it'll take a damn decade of dedication and discipline and life not getting in the way.

Add a pound of steak and a pound of fish or chicken into the equation, however, and you could be ripped in two months and downright scary this time next year.

It's simple math. Ain't no veggies you can eat that'll give you 200-300 grams of protein per day.

stringtree and EndGame00 like this.
  8. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

A steak only has about 60 grams of protein; do you really eat 4 or 5 a day?
    They make vegan protein powder. In this day and age getting enough protein isn’t very hard.

9. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Powder ain't right

Good cuts of meat have ~120g protein / 1lb serving.

Dear ol' USDA disseminates some weird "85g" and "291g" serving size data, but most steaks you find for sale in America are ~0.9-1.1 lbs

10. EndGame00

No rest day? Your body requires at least 24-36 hours to recouperate after an intense workout, especially who hit the weights more than cardio.

I do 4 days of weight lifting ,1 day for cardio and two rest days...

11. EndGame00

Look what's in the vegan protein powder? It contains soy.. Soy product ain't good for males as it inhibits testosterone production and increasing estrogen levels.

Unless you wanna grow a pair of female boobies and have that monthly mood swings....

Adieu likes this.
  12. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

No rest days. Just trust me on this one.

Back in my teens I once went from 50 to 1000 pushups a day in like 3 weeks. Knuckles, feet on 3rd or 4th step of stairs.

No rest days, but gradual increases. No need to push it into all torn up, can't hardly move your arms territory.

PS or don't trust me, trust the Army. It's their conventional wisdom, too.

13. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

You gotta factor in age too - what works for a younger person may not exactly work on older peeps, especially recovery periods, the older we get, the longer the body takes to fully recover....I don't necessarily follow it lol (I run 6 days a week and at 50 still feel just as fresh every day as I did as a youngster), but I believe age does matter when following programs (diet, exercise, etc). You gotta find what works for you and stick with it - what works for one guy/woman may not work for someone else equally as well (and vice versa).

edit: another reason a recovery day is important, at least in the crazy world of intense cardio, you're breaking your body down during serious training sessions (obviously) and from what I understand, you actually get stronger on your OFF day because your body gets a chance to first recoup for a while, then begins to strengthen since you're not breaking it down right away again.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  14. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Some are soy some aren’t.
    I’m just using powder as an example. The Olympic weightlifter did not mention supplements; evidently he gets enough protein from regular food sources.

15. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Olympians are all mutants or pharmaceutical industry achievements anyway

I'm talking about what works for your average chubby, balding, somewhat lazy couch bound denizen... more Al Bundy, less Superman from planet whereverthehell

Mitchell Pearrow, DaDoc and EndGame00 like this.
  16. MarshallDog

Imagine what he could lift if he had some good protein...its all relative to him...no one else!

stringtree, DaDoc and Adieu like this.
  17. EndGame00

I'm sure he's not getting 8,000-10,000 daily calorie intake from strict vegan diet as an Olympic weight lifter...

Plus, fruits and vegetables don't have the micronutrients meat and fish have....

They've already achieved their size before going vegan....

DaDoc and MarshallDog like this.
  18. MarshallDog

I agree with everything. BUT, you DO need rest days to let your muscles recover and rebuild. If you dont you will be over training which will lead to other negative issues. I have been there, not good. If you are still sore you should NOT train the muscle again. Sure maybe just a touch sore, maybe once in a while but by no means all the time. Rest days are specific to the individual and intensity of their training (sleep diet stress affects it also). If you are never slightly sore that means you did not push the muscle group hard enough. Only the individual can determine the amount of rest days and how frequent...everyone is different.

19. MarshallDog

20. MoreAmpsPlease

MoreAmpsPlease Active Member

One change that works far better than I suspected was just not eating after dinner. I already had a good diet and exercise routine, but have been getting leaner much faster after that one change.

stringtree, DaDoc and MarshallDog like this.