>

Anyone else having a long wait for Metro transformers?

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by adew1, May 13, 2021.

1. william vogel

william vogel Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

2. Torren61

Torren61 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I really hope George gets through this and gets healthy and back to where he wants to be in his life and business. He seems like a super nice guy.

3. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Marstran also has the same delays from Heyboer .

4. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Well-Known Member

George is AWESOME! Also, my Warmoth neck arrived today! Ordered on April 14, and though waiting sucked, it was WORTH the wait!! :bday:

EDIT: It's not my birthday- Just FEELS like it! :dude:

Torren61 likes this.
  5. cehuff3

cehuff3 New Member

Metro Order Update:
    In my last post, I was elated as I had finally gotten a reply to my emails & voicemails from Metroamps on my transformer order. Honestly, that one short email sure went a long way in quelling my concerns at the time.

In that email (from June 10), I was told they were calling Heyboer ‘right now’ for an update & they would let me know the skinny on my order... I wish I could report otherwise, but so far, I’ve received no update. I’ve emailed several times to see if they had an update from Heyboer, again with no reply other than the automatic reply email. I guess there’s nothing I can do other than keep trying.

Has anyone else gotten anything from Metroamps? An Order or an update?

This bothers me. I’ve not gotten the update they said they would provide. Nor have I gotten a reply to any of my communications since. And it’s to the point now that my customer is pretty upset, and I can’t really blame him... I can’t give him any information that will make him feel any better unless Metroamps lets me know what’s up. Like I said in my previous post, I can deal with delays, just please, keep me informed, do what you say you’re going to do, and always, ALWAYS reply to a customer’s communications. All good business’s do this. If they didn’t, they know they would lose customers.

I remain hopeful this will work out in a positive way. I want to do business with Metroamps. They’ve always been great to deal with and I sincerely hope this is just a bump in the road. Fingers crossed. I’ll report back with how this ends up.

6. cehuff3

cehuff3 New Member

I had news today from Metroamp & George was very helpful. They’re still dealing with delays from Heyboer as we knew. I was given the chance to cancel my order, which I didn’t do. I’m confident they’re looking out for my order. Hopefully it won’t be much longer before things get back to normal, whatever that is. Lol.

7. Torren61

I got an email today that my PT has shipped! YAY! Good luck to everyone.

Kelia and Travis398 like this.
  8. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Not Professional imo ! They could do better in reassuring their customers !

Torren61 likes this.
  9. adew1

adew1 Active Member

That's amazing, considering you ordered in May. I ordered mine beginning of February. :shrug:
    Anyway, I managed to cancel my order and have just received a full refund. What a waste of time and effort.

Torren61 likes this.
  10. Torren61

11. cehuff3

cehuff3 New Member

Metroamp Update:
    I have had much better communications with Metro lately on my delayed transformer & I’m happy to report that I received my completed order today… a MetroSpec set for a 50 watt Plexi build.

Overall I am pleased with how things turned around & worked out in the end. I hope things work out well for anyone else that’s having issues.
    Cheers.

Kelia likes this.
  12. 2L man

2L man Active Member

Just check DHL and their 2 kilo (might be too little for one transformer) Air Carco shipping from Europe to USA is only €9 which is about $11 but obviously sender needs to deliver the packet to carrier company desk and reveiver pick from the carrier company desk. Price for actual flight phase is unbelievable low but cost what the packet travels on a delivery van is expensive because of driver salary.

13. 2L man

2L man Active Member

Perhaps now is the time for someone willing to experiment build using cheaper toroidal transformers? Antek 200VA PT is $52 but it has only 6,3V heaters so direct use of SS diodes or use two EZ81 tubes?

15W OT is $55. It is rated 15W for HiFi low frequencies so for guitar perhaps 3 times that. 5k impedance should be fine for many amps but it require 8 or 4 ohm speaker. There are one Antek OT for lower power and two for higher but they get quite heavy.

I have built ready only one 5F6A / 6V6GT using toroidal OT but I have test two other brand toroid OTs. They all have clearer sound than what EI core OTs produce. Cleans come airy clean and distortion comes very defined so I don't wonder why totoids have got users among HiFi.

My only concern was that they require very well matched tube pair because obviously toroid core saturates easier so I built also a balance adjust to the bias circuit. Now I have biased as much off the balance adjust allows (about 65/35) and sound did change but not worse, just different. Then I did install tubes which were very different and biased them off and sound did change more but again not too bad. Driving sine wave from signal generator and looking output using an oscilloscope off balanced output 100Hz gets distorted slightly but I have two Fender Tweed builds which 100Hz is much worse if I output full power.

14. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't add any knowledge to the discussion but im really interested to learn more about toroidal trannies. Perhaps a new/separate thread?

2L man likes this.
  15. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Did you ever receive your transformers?

16. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Anyone? Is Heyboer shipping yet?

17. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Toroidals won't behave at all like you expect in a guitar amp. They're more "ideal" and less "tonal influencing". You'll get a somewhat sterile sounding amp with toroidal transformers. In short, you won't like them. They don't SOUND like a guitar amp.

Their excellent performance as a voltage and current source makes them the ideal choice for a highly linear amplifier, though.

2L man and Spanngitter like this.