>

Anyone else having a long wait for Metro transformers?

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by adew1, May 13, 2021.

1. william vogel

william vogel Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I understand your frustration. George just had a birthday and thanked people on Facebook. Without a telephone number to call, you’re at their mercy for a response. Maybe you’ll hear something.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

They HAVE a phone number but if you call it goes to voicemail and they tell you the best way to get a response is to email them. If they had something on their site that said there would be long delays, it would at least give you the chance to weigh it out in your mind whether you want to wait or choose another vendor but the site says "Transformers: Replica trannys are available in our store."

All I ask is to just be straight with me so I can make a good decision.

3. william vogel

Hammond transformers makes a lay down 1202-118. Hawk electronics stocks it. Unless I’m getting a power transformer with original style solder lugs (no flying leads), I always use Hammond power transformers. A MetroAmp power transformer is going to have little tonal effect vs a Hammond. Output transformer, different story.

SQUAREHEAD, mAx___ and Torren61 like this.
  4. Torren61

I already paid. Besides, I have a Metropoulos OT in my JMP (trannys were replaced before I bought it) and I wanted to match it with another Metropoulos PT. Look, it's not that I need the PT tomorrow, it's just that they probably should have mentioned it on their website that there will be a delay in getting them out. Then you know what to expect and you can buy from someone else if you don't have time to wait.

adew1 and StuC like this.
  5. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Have you heard anything about Merren? My buddy ordered and paid for a full set of iron for a JTM45 kit from Chris about a year ago and still hasn’t gotten them. Chris did tell him that he had broken his leg at some point. But my buddy reached out to him 2 months ago and never got a response. His backup right now was to order from Heyboer a month ago but no way he’s getting them any time soon either.

6. cehuff3

cehuff3 New Member

I hate to even bring this up again, but has anyone heard anything from Metropolous on their transformer order?
    I have sent numerous emails & I've left voice mails but I’ve not received a reply of any kind. Is anyone out there faring any better?
    I have been hoping to avoid airing any of this in the public forums, but having gotten zero responses to any of my communications, except of course to accept my order & my money, doesn’t leave me a lot of options.

7. adew1

adew1 Active Member

No news on my side. Still waiting.
    To echo what @william vogel mentioned earlier, I'm not so bothered about the PT (apart from the money) as there are decent options from other companies, but its the OT I'm really waiting for.

8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Try the metro Facebook pages?

adew1 likes this.
  9. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

Estero, Florida formerly from Indianapolis
    I think Heyboer is really slow on builds right now. It took a huge amount of searching to find a 50watt OT for a Plexi 51 build. There is no available stock anywhere.

adew1 likes this.
  10. cehuff3

cehuff3 New Member

Thanks guys. I’m just a bit concerned as I’ve had no reply to any of my emails (7 so far), or any of my voice mails, which actually say to send an email. If I had any reasonable response, I’d be okay with the delay. But as it stands, being non-responsive doesn’t give me a warm, fuzzy feeling that they’re looking out for my order. If I hear anything I’ll report back. Thanks.

_Steve, Torren61 and adew1 like this.
  11. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

That is strange. When I ordered my Metro stuff around last August, Heyboer was just opening back up. I think it took 4 or 5 weeks but George was responding to my emails with updates. As I posted earlier, my band mate ordered Merren iron a year ago. Chris took his money but stopped responding a few months ago. So my friend ordered Metro stuff 5 or 6 weeks ago and, of course, hasn’t received that stuff either.

On another note, I ordered a Bassman kit from Mojotone 2 or 3 months ago and it came in a week. Heyboer makes their transformers. On top of that, the PT was defective and Mojotone sent me another Heyboer PT immediately even though it was listed as out of stock on their site. It’s hard to tell what’s going on.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. adew1

adew1 Active Member

Yes. He posts occasionally but doesn't appear to engage with people leaving comments.

Strange indeed.
    Like you, I ordered Heyboer stuff from Metro in August last year and received them about 4 weeks later, which was fine. This time around, very different experience.

I hear you. Delays can happen, that's ok. It's the lack of responsiveness that bugs. Even if Metro spec trannies are the unicorn's testicles, I won't order from him again. In the meantime, I've been able to get some Heyboer stuff from Amp Parts Direct's stock.

Kelia and Torren61 like this.
  13. Torren61

How do we know he's not planning on going out of business but still taking money for orders he doesn't intend to fill? We don't. And he wouldn't be the first one. That's the thing about not responding to queries. Now, my mind is free to wander about constructing possible scenarios. It's a sh*tty way to do business and there is no excuse for it. I wonder if he's gonna respond when I ask for a refund on my payment?

Kelia likes this.
  14. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

This is so unprofessional !!

Chris-in-LA and Torren61 like this.
  15. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

Triode is advertising USA Classic transformers available soon. Paper wound in Chicago, sounds like they may be available in a few weeks. Anyone know anything about them? I wonder if this is a spin off of Classic tone.

Might be a good alternative if Metro doesn't work out.

_Steve and adew1 like this.
  16. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

I hope so - I've used a bunch of Classictone iron in Marshall-esque projects and have been super impressed. I think they got a bad rap because they were cheaper and they didn't use fluffy, non-sensical BS claims in their marketing.

Travis398 and adew1 like this.
  17. cehuff3

cehuff3 New Member

Great news!... I got a very nice email from George @ Metropolous. It was exactly what everyone had said... factory delays, plus he’s been sick.
    Like I said previously, I’m okay with the delay. Now I feel much better about my order. I hope this helps others that have had delays. I’ll report back when the order is received.
    Also, I hope everyone took all this in the spirit it was intended. I would not want any of this interpreted as me trying to disparage anyone’s reputation.
    Anyway, I sure hope he gets better soon. He’s always been a super valuable member of the amp community.
    Cheers

Torren61, william vogel and adew1 like this.
  18. william vogel

George is an awesome dude. Like anyone else, he can get overwhelmed and take some me time.

cehuff3 likes this.
  19. Torren61

I'm fine with delays, too. But tell me what's going on, that's all.

adew1, Kelia and cehuff3 like this.
  20. Torren61

I'm sure he is and I wish him well. There must be SOMEONE who can field emails for him, though.

cehuff3 likes this.