Anyone actually use their Vintage Modern footswitch?

jimmyo

Reaction score
So was wondering. Vintage Modern is basically a one channel amp. I use mine with the high gain mode engaged and use my guitar volume to roll down for cleans. Occasionally I’ll use the lower gain mode for some vintage Marshall clean tones and use pedals to get the gain going.

I haven’t found much of a use yet for switching between high/low gain on the fly as the volume difference is so great, and reverb to me us usually set it and forget it. Usually off playing with a band with some delay in the loop.

Has anyone found a practical use for foot switching between modes? Maybe I’ve been missing something

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So was wondering. Vintage Modern is basically a one channel amp. I use mine with the high gain mode engaged and use my guitar volume to roll down for cleans. Occasionally I’ll use the lower gain mode for some vintage Marshall clean tones and use pedals to get the gain going.

I haven’t found much of a use yet for switching between high/low gain on the fly as the volume difference is so great, and reverb to me us usually set it and forget it. Usually off playing with a band with some delay in the loop.

Has anyone found a practical use for foot switching between modes? Maybe I’ve been missing something
Can you use it for lead volume boost?

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score

No. I pretty much only use HDR. The volume difference is way too drastic to switch between modes.

Can you use it for lead volume boost?

No. See above :)

JohnH

Reaction score
I dont have the switch, and I don't miss it either. OD pedals give me a solo boost if i want one.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Said it before - if the boost had been adjustable it would've been the perfect amp for me but for some technical reason I don't understand it wasn't. I loved it so much I persuaded a mate to buy one - he sold his for the same reason.

gregr

Reaction score
There can be a considerable jump in volume going from LDR to HDR and the reverb isn’t very spectacular, so what’s the point?

That said, the jump in volume from LDR to HDR isn’t that large when the amp is cranked well into compression, which, and correct me if I’m wrong, is how this amp was intended to be used.

A switch for the mid-boost might have made more sense, though I found I also had to redial the amp accordingly, so being able to do this on the fly still wouldn’t have been all that useful.

Last edited:

gregr

Reaction score
I use mine with the high gain mode engaged and use my guitar volume to roll down for cleans.
How clean can you actually get it? To me it seems the HDR mode pushes the amp into saturation which actually reduces dynamics. I think they got the names mixed up.

Last edited:

jimmyo

Reaction score
How clean can you actually get it? To me it seems the HDR mode pushes the amp into saturation which actually reduces dynamics. I think they got the names mixed up.

Not sure if mixed up. I use the higher gain mode to get a nice heavy rock tone and wind down my volume to clean it up, as I would on a single channel JCM800. It’s not a Fender clean, more a classic rock Marshall clean.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think it's been explained. The amp is not a two channel amp, it's two different modes. There is a big volume difference between LDR and HDR. I love the amp, but I hate the effects loop.
Cant the volume difference can be used as a lead volume boost if you can dial in an acceptable tone to use with it? LDR for rythm and HDR for lead volume boost.

jimmyo

Reaction score
Cant the volume difference can be used as a lead volume boost if you can dial in an acceptable tone to use with it? LDR for rythm and HDR for lead volume boost.

Yeah, sounds good on paper but I find the change in both tone and volume too dramatic. Unless you want clean and quiet to loud and high gain.

Took me a while to realize the way to use the amp is more the opposite and subtractive than additive, so starting on the high gain sound. I think one of the intentions of the footswitch was to use the high gain mode to dial in your sound, and could use the switch to lower gain to clean up instead of rolling down volume. I find this gives you a nice clean but to me it’s too quiet compared to the high gain volume. But maybe I don’t have enough volume with the power tubes compressing enough. Maybe I’m supposed to dial in the amp with guitar volume at 7, switch to LDR for cleans or wind up the guitar volume to 10 for solos?

gregr

Reaction score
Not sure if mixed up. I use the higher gain mode to get a nice heavy rock tone and wind down my volume to clean it up, as I would on a single channel JCM800. It’s not a Fender clean, more a classic rock Marshall clean.
You didn’t mix it up. I believe Marshall did. Once the signal starts clipping adding gain reduces dynamic range. In other words, LDR should be the high gain setting and HDR should be the low gain setting.

Tiboy

Reaction score
Yes I use the foot switch. I set the amp up for the HDR. I use the LDR in combination with pedals to achieve volume parity and/or different tones. For a long time I used the Exotic SL to get plexi tones in the LDR. In effect I use the HDR as is and the LDR as a pedal platform.

gregr

Reaction score
Hmmm....wow. A little over my head technically, but I saved this to present to my tech one day. This is strictly to make the fx loop more usuable and doesn'e affect the actual circuit in any way right? Thanks
Of course the circuit is changed. It flattens the frequency response of the loop and increases the input impedance so it doesn’t load down the tone stack. The level differences between bypassed, instrument and line settings has been improved significantly, though this actually matters very little.

Latest posts