Anybody use KT77s in an SV20?

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine neither, Bro.

"current blackbacks"- I like that. Only problem is that the current greenbacks (12M) sound more like the original blackbacks (12M). Celestion has confused us all.:lol:
Exactly!:agreed:

I should refer to them as "WTF" GB's cause I haven't a clue!:shrug:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a new 5150 👍 still want to try one. My vintage modern does that stuff good, Evh should be middy thought.
Yeah the Iconic is really good. Sounds epic through the EVH 412. I can't stop playing through it. Superb rock/hard rock amp. It goes in my "Marshall" stable how I set it up and play. Excels when soloing where it's most like certain Marshallz.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m a lot happier with the sound now, not that I wasn’t before but sometimes the tubes really do bring the best out of an amp. Now all I’ve got to do is get a cab with some greenbacks or old blackbacks and I think I’m calling it quits on the tone hunt
These are purported to be really like the old Mullard XF2's. I find them excellent in Marshall vintage circuits. Just put them in my 800 SC and smiled. It had EH6CA7's. I would recommend especially if you like the RFT's.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Look into a Two Notes Captor—matched with a pair of decent studio monitors you have a great low volume option for tube amps. I was in a city apt through the covid and IRs and studio monitors were my savior
I’ve been managing to get a sound I like with a cheap little Weber mass whenever I’m not cranking the amp but I’d have to imagine something like that and a pair of proper monitors will color the sound less than a Weber would?

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
These are purported to be really like the old Mullard XF2's. I find them excellent in Marshall vintage circuits. Just put them in my 800 SC and smiled. It had EH6CA7's. I would recommend especially if you like the RFT's.

I think I had a pair of those come with the JCM 800 I bought a couple years ago. I threw them in my SV20 for a while and they were nice but I ended up going to an EH EL34 and then these RFT’s

Next tube up will probably be a Sylvania 6ca7 or a rebranded 6ca7. I love my SV20 but I’ve got a curiosity about how big I can make it sound and I think an old fashioned 6ca7 is the ticket

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I had a pair of those come with the JCM 800 I bought a couple years ago. I threw them in my SV20 for a while and they were nice but I ended up going to an EH EL34 and then these RFT’s

Next tube up will probably be a Sylvania 6ca7 or a rebranded 6ca7. I love my SV20 but I’ve got a curiosity about how big I can make it sound and I think an old fashioned 6ca7 is the ticket
Only thing I find my 800SC lacking is a bit more "Bigness". So I put this on my wish list.lol

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been managing to get a sound I like with a cheap little Weber mass whenever I’m not cranking the amp but I’d have to imagine something like that and a pair of proper monitors will color the sound less than a Weber would?
IMO yes. Guitar speakers are not designed to be played quietly. Running your signal into an impulse response and out to near field monitors will sound much more representative of the amp/speakers real tone.

ken361

Reaction score
Got a tip on TGP on some KT 66 for 50 a pair from Angela music in MD so I ordered a pair for my vintage modern.

jeffb

Reaction score
Nice score for a good price @ken361.

I'd get a set myself to hoard for the Ori20, but I'm afraid they will be too big (not enough space between the tubes).

EC Strat

Reaction score
I swapped out the 5881’s in my JTM 45 for GL KT 66’s - like others have mentioned, the cleans are more clear and sparkly with the 66’s Very articulate- you can hear every string rake you do. I changed the bright cap to a 100 pf resistor - much better now.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

How would you describe the difference between the EH6ca7’s and the GT,s?

Latest posts