Anybody know anything about Katy, Texas (29 mi outside Houston suburb)?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
That’s one bullshit cop right there.

that was Fl at the time. dont really know if much has changed mitch.
fl and ga are hand in hand bitch buddies. i promise you, these two states will be the very last to make
the cigaweed legal too. doesnt effect me either way but im just making my predictions ahead of time lol.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I live in a small town SOUTH of Cocoa Beach. (Next one south of Patrick Air Force Base...excuse me, now it's Patrick Space Force Base.)

These days, in Brevard County, it's really hard to find cops with such a bad attitude as the one you described. Quite the contrary, our current Sheriff is quite clear in his advice to citizens to protect themselves and their property by all lawful means when the situation warrants it. And our police pretty much are all right there with him, in every department in every city. The result is that even the worst parts of the county have much lower crime rates than any neighboring county. Word has gotten out to the miscreants and those with criminal intent that Brevard is the wrong county to set up shop in.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@ricksdisconnected
I have been in an out of Atlanta a number of times, in my 20’s I honestly didn’t think it snowed out there , we have had a couple light snows at my elevation.
And yes people can’t drive for shit here either, used to drive through Katy to get there , and Houston which was my regular trip.
Cheers

Adieu

Reaction score
I did hear they were considered somewhat a flooding risk. Is this insurance-grade "aww dammit" nuisance flooding or "OH SHIII...we all gonna die" apocalyptic flooding?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
that place has GOT to be the hottest place on earth.

Not even the hottest in the USA ... though, I like warmth, so it's not a drawback for me.

Weird aside: We're covered in snow right now, and for the first time in many-many years, I'm absolutely loving it. I use to get excited about snow when I was a kid, but then I got into the cringe faze ... now I'm feeling like a kid again! Meh, in another month I'll probably be dreaming of the summer lol.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I live in a small town SOUTH of Cocoa Beach. (Next one south of Patrick Air Force Base...excuse me, now it's Patrick Space Force Base.)

These days, in Brevard County, it's really hard to find cops with such a bad attitude as the one you described. Quite the contrary, our current Sheriff is quite clear in his advice to citizens to protect themselves and their property by all lawful means when the situation warrants it. And our police pretty much are all right there with him, in every department in every city. The result is that even the worst parts of the county have much lower crime rates than any neighboring county. Word has gotten out to the miscreants and those with criminal intent that Brevard is the wrong county to set up shop in.

good ole Brevard county lol. as a whole that place wasnt to bad.
i remember Ron Jons when it was a brick building and not what it
is today. i liked it much better before. you remember this case?
Junny was a cool kid man. his family use to come to my fav spot
on the beach.
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/...ed-pedophile-brevard-30-years-ago/4875235001/

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've been here since 1975. When Ron Jon's was a small wood building. Today it's a stucco palace and retail tourist trap/shop. The glass bank in front of Brassy's was torn down years ago, and Brassy's was long gone before that. The last use of the glass bank was as a home base by a reclusive rich guy. He lived in it. City council didn't like that very much and tried to evict him.

I saw Leslie West play at Brassy's. I remember it was LOUD.

The port used to be a cool place, lots of local color and people just making an ocean based living. Today, thanks to Disney (Gag me...) and Royal Caribbean, they have made the place cleaner, more modern, and very boring.

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ricksdisconnected
I have been in an out of Atlanta a number of times, in my 20’s I honestly didn’t think it snowed out there , we have had a couple light snows at my elevation.
And yes people can’t drive for shit here either, used to drive through Katy to get there , and Houston which was my regular trip.
Cheers

@Mitchell Pearrow I lived in Atlanta for a total of 4 months. Long story. But from Jan through April in the very late 80's. BTW, it's farther north than Dallas, it just doesn't appear so. It snowed like I was in CO. Snow plows out, drifts along the steep roads. I don't know how often, or how much is normal, but my one winter there sucked! :lol:

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Texas ... anyone else love JR Ewing?

Never watched it. Most of my friends did, but I refused. It was a nigh time soap opera as far as I was concerned. If I remember right, it was on Friday nights. Because lots of my friends wouldn't show up to parties and stuff until after Dallas. :confused:
We were late teens to earlier 20's during its run. WTF, TV over parties and girls?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I've been here since 1975. When Ron Jon's was a small wood building. Today it's a stucco palace and retail tourist trap/shop. The glass bank in front of Brassy's was torn down years ago, and Brassy's was long gone before that. The last use of the glass bank was as a home base by a reclusive rich guy. He lived in it. City council didn't like that very much and tried to evict him.

I saw Leslie West play at Brassy's. I remember it was LOUD.

The port used to be a cool place, lots of local color and people just making an ocean based living. Today, thanks to Disney (Gag me...) and Royal Caribbean, they have made the place cleaner, more modern, and very boring.

i remember Brassys, innerroom caberet2 also.
my wife was the original mascot for Ron's when
they had the Roo supporting the aussie locations
in cocoa beach. i also remember Captain Ed's out at the port.
one of the best eats around too.

you DO know the story of ole Ron dont you? :cool:
not how he came to be, as thats a story in of itself,
but why hes not allowed back in Fl right? cant go into it
here but there is a reason.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow I lived in Atlanta for a total of 4 months. Long story. But from Jan through April in the very late 80's. BTW, it's farther north than Dallas, it just doesn't appear so. It snowed like I was in CO. Snow plows out, drifts along the steep roads. I don't know how often, or how much is normal, but my one winter there sucked! :lol:

they hardly have any of the snow plows or salt trucks any more.
maybe 2 of each but of all the yrs ive lived here ive never seen a one. EVER.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Ron DiMenna. Yes, his history is easy to Google. Rumor has it that the original Ron Jons shop was...."creatively financed"....and sold items that didn't have a thing to do with cash registers and receipts...

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
All I know about the Houston area is 100% humidity and 105 degrees in the warm months.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Never watched it. Most of my friends did, but I refused. It was a nigh time soap opera as far as I was concerned. If I remember right, it was on Friday nights. Because lots of my friends wouldn't show up to parties and stuff until after Dallas. :confused:
We were late teens to earlier 20's during its run. WTF, TV over parties and girls?

I'm a little younger than you, so my introduction to the show was through my folks. I also remember Knots Landing and Falcon Crest being on every week :lol:

Latest posts