Anybody buy an SV20h and not like it?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Msharky67, May 1, 2021.

1. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

You all are approaching this the wrong way. Just get a 100-watt Plexi and two 4x12 cabs. Crank everything on 10. Play for about five minutes.

You'll never get a noise complaint again, because everyone near you will be deaf.

tce63 and Marcomel79 like this.
  2. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

On a more serious note, there's a very common misconception about wattage vs volume. People tend to think:

"20 watts is 20% as loud as 100 watts."

No. 20 watts is probably more like 65-70% as loud as 100 watts. Five watts is WAY too loud for "bedroom levels," and one watt is iffy.

As I've said many times, I can tame ANY 100-watt stack for bedroom playing with a volume control in the loop. No loop? Use it in front.

Jethro Rocker and tce63 like this.
  3. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

If it were that only that simple , cutting volume in the loop or upfront doesn’t cut it imo .

Georgiatec and tce63 like this.
  4. Marcomel79

Marcomel79 Well-Known Member

It can work if one cant afford an attenuator i guess... nothing sounds like a cranked Marshall but sometimes one has to compromise....

tce63 likes this.
  5. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

Everyone wanted a smaller JCM800 and Plexi. They wanted a pedal platform. Marshall got the message.

Now everyone is debating if we should buy the gear or not.

The answer is a clear resounding yes. It is what you wanted! It's there. Get it.

If Marshall just decided to sit on their current line of amps for the next 20 years they would still be selling them. Wasn't the same with DSLs unless you got the full-sized ones.

Jethro Rocker, C-Grin and tce63 like this.
  6. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

I haven't read beyond the first page of this thread but I bought and returned one the same day. Wanted to love it, but even attenuated with my Ox it was too loud for "bedroom" use. It sounded pretty good with headphones coming out of the Ox, but its far too expensive of an amp to not love.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  7. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

I use an attenuator with a 1 watt amp :iough:

Old Punker, tce63 and GregM like this.
  8. Marcomel79

I should get an attenuator for my voice. Im italian. Eh!!

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, I don't get why you quoted 'when'?

10. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Actually, I have a confession to make...I have also been using my attenuator (PS-2) with my 1W amp... :eek:

to BOOST it!!

:applause: :flex: :D :lol:

11. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

I do the same haha. I can't crank my DSL1HR past 8-9 o'clock with out it getting too loud so I attenuate it to get the power amp cooking.

Old Punker likes this.
  12. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I think there should be a special forum section for "bedroom" players. Marshall's, even the 20w Studios, were not designed for bedrooms. Bedrooms are for sleeping, and at least one place for sex. I guess if your a teenager, you might be playing guitar in a bedroom, do we have that many teenagers here?

Jethro Rocker, scozz and Old Punker like this.
  13. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

Tried the SV20 when they came out. Was hoping to like it. Nope. Hated it. Waaay too bright and not enough gain. But right next to it was the SC20. Loved that right away. Bought it on the spot. Then 6 months later I stupidly sold it. Call it tone chasing. Call it a moment of weakness haha. Whatever it was a bad move. Couple weeks ago finally got another SC20 and it’s not going anywhere!

14. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Never played guitar in a bedroom...I'm a basement player. Concrete walls are a much better sound attenuator! :wallbash:

ken361 and LCW like this.
  15. Marcomel79

OP said he would put a master volume WHEN he gets the SV20H he would save up for, which costs more than the guitar he absolutely cannot save up for...:coffee:

mad5066, steveb63 and GregM like this.
  16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh I think I got two posts mixed up, I was responding to the OP, how he was complaining how expensive the SV20 is and he said “it should have the PPIMV installed for that price” :lol:

That’s the quote at the bottom.

He also said in another post, that when he does finally get a SV20 he would have a PPIMV installed.

Here’s part of the post

Old Punker likes this.
  17. Marcomel79

Yeah hes whining all over the forum how he cant afford a LP but hes gonna get a sv20h...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Old Punker, KelvinS1965 and tce63 like this.
  18. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

You don't understand, he has worked hard In RETAIL all his life, while us spoilt slobs working in dusty factory's, outside in soaring temperatures and freezing temperatures, doing overtime and working second jobs,which he can't do, because he is working on his house, have had all our stuff handed to us and always get the best bargains because we are selfish.
    Geesh, show the poor guy some compassion for gods sake. And don't forget to donate to his go fund me page!

19. Marcomel79

He has 10 times more gear than me and im still happy with what i got. Btw i really want a rolex, any chance i can set up a go fund me for it?

mad5066, WellBurnTheSky and GregM like this.
  20. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'd better not mention that I bought my SV20H about 2 years after my Mini Jubilee after I saved up some more 'guitar money'...then this year bought an ex demo SC20 combo after I saved up some more. ;)

I'm so selfish for saving up and buying gear before other people can. ;)

I use an attenuator with my SV20H, but only to trim the overall level when we rehearse in the studio; for gigs it isn't really needed, though I have used it on the smallest reduction setting at a smaller venue. When I play at home I tend to use the Mini Jubilee (2525H) and the master volume control, but I still play more than what I imagine is 'bedroom level' since my living room is acoustically treated and we are detached from the neighbour's house. Being UK it's made of brick, so sound is pretty well contained inside too. :headbanger:

scozz, Marcomel79 and GregM like this.