Any of you guys lost a band brother??

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Sg-ocaster, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Coming up on 3 years now one of my best friends that was with my long time band passed away. Kinna took it hard. Not a player but ran our lighting and handled our load in load outs. Probably around 1000+ gigs since 2001 from bars and field days thru trying to push our cd doing openers at better venues.After many shows we would stay up all hours usually at the drummers house were we would bring the trailer,Wed all talk band and the next step of the band.I never drank while I played but afterward it was game on back then we wouldn't head home till long past sun up. Lots of good times lots of fun memories . He passed of a heart attack at 49.
    Had a dream a couple nights ago we were in some building talking about electrical and plumbing(also did some contractor work on side with him)....vivid as shit....been thinking allot since then.....all the show's we did......the he'll we raised.....freezing in the cube truck......the family...miss my brother.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  2. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Guy I jammed with from freshman year of HS till about 10 years ago passed from a heart attack 2 years ago. Couple weeks before his 47th birthday. He left our band to raise his 2 kids and I always thought we would get back together and jam when they were grown enough to not need constant care. Sometimes there is no tomorrow. Giving his son lessons now so I kinda still have a connection with him. The kid looks just like his dad at that age mullet and all lol.

3. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I've never been in your situation but I think it applies that we've all lost someone close. I feel your pain brother and my heart goes out to you and his family. Stay strong and remember that we will all meet again one day.

4. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

My best friend since late high school, who was also the brother I never had. We played music on and off since 1985. Our band gigged at high schools, colleges, clubs and 3,000 seat theaters. It was our life for a long time. He eventually got his PhD and was a Professor of Economics at an LA college. The most incredible genius I ever met and best friend I ever had. He had a knack for business and I had a knack for music, and that's what made us successful.

He slowly went nuts and committed suicide in October 2015. It's been almost 5 years. His number is still in my phone, and I would give anything just to be able to call him again.

Life is short and it's fragile. Be good to your friends. Even if you only have one friend, you're a very rich person.

5. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    Two that I know of and one I suspect.

I still miss them even though I haven’t seen anyone from the band days for probably 20 years.

6. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous

I’ve got too many of those numbers in my phone.

I can’t bring myself to delete them.

7. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

I've lost enough family and friends killed by death. and like coyote keeping the phone numbers somehow helps me remember.

8. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

My bass player Pete was a sweetheart.

When he got married, my wife and I said this could be the best or worst thing for him.

It was the worst.

His little girl couldn't save Pete from drinking himself to death.

In another tragic note, I quit a band I played with for 5 years.

All my buds.

They went on tour and my replacement died with a needle in his arm.

RIP Warren.

9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Death is usually the thing most people are killed by. Just pointing that out.

jmp45 likes this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I lost my younger brother and jam buddy when he was 25 to cancer, that was 25 years ago. And I sort of lost my older brother although hes still alive but hes such a doosh a-hole I dont have anything to do with him, we haven't jammed in a long time. The 3 of us always had a built in jam at any time of the day or night when we were growing up, I always thought when we got older we'd have a band and play out together. We all played bass, guitar and drums so we rotated through the instruments whoever felt like playing what, they both sang Im not a singer, we would have had a pretty good 3 piece band! RIP baby bro :yesway:

11. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Half my numbers are past brothers. Have lost 3 bass players. Cancer, Cancer, And Staph.
    Stage Manager. Cancer. 2 Keyboard players. Heart disease. Drugs. Singer, Stroke.
    Guitar player/trumpet. Drugs. Sax player, Drugs. Guitar player/singer Polio. B/G singer and girlfriend. Murder. If i thought long enough I could probably come up with more. But that last one kinda got to me.

12. Redguitar

Redguitar Member

A band I was playing guitar in for quite a long time, had a few other guitarists that were in the lineup. They have both passed on.

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Remind me not to visit Missouri...

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  14. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Get the hell out of that band.. lol run! Sounds like the drummers for spinal tap.

MarshallDog and Vinsanitizer like this.
  15. dro

dro Well-Known Member

That band was in Central California

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  16. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Only to marriage.
    Once the ring went on, his jamming days were done.
    Too bad, he was a pretty decent player.

17. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

The other guitarist in the band I was in when I was in my 20s, who was about 15 years older than me (actually, all of the other guys in the band were 15 years older than me), passed about twenty years ago from heart failure. He was in his early forties. That's the downside to the rock and roll lifestyle.

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

The first group of buddies I ever played with. Our bassist Al passed away recently, and last Saturday a good friend of mine since we were in cub scouts passed away, he Steve used to come to all our gigs and take photos of us .
    R.I.P. brother’s

MarshallDog and CoyotesGator like this.
  19. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

I never been in bands long enough to call them brothers and as far as i know they are still around

20. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

Lost more than a few unfortunately. Thus is life I suppose.

Contractor here too buddy.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.