Any love for the old JCM2000 DSL 401 combo?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Still use mine on a regular basis. It's a 2009 model, so all the overheating issues seem to have been resolved. As JohnH said the speaker isn't up to much and I replaced mine with a 1980 G12-65. The singer / rhythm guitar in my jam band plays through mine all the time and loves it.

tmingle

Reaction score
I had a '99 DSL401. The board needed the solder joints redone after about 6 months. I fixed it 6-7 times while I had it.
A great deal on a DSL40C came up & the DSL401 went. I don't miss the 401 at all.

Toby Krewbs

Reaction score
Had one for a while.Bias current flowed through MV pot.
Oof!
The two DSL40Cs I have are far superior although I liked the clean channel on mine

Lots of heat bridge rectifier solder issues with mine

My tech stopped speaking to me over that amp lol!

konrad gibson

Reaction score
I had a '99 DSL401. The board needed the solder joints redone after about 6 months. I fixed it 6-7 times while I had it.
A great deal on a DSL40C came up & the DSL401 went. I don't miss the 401 at all.
Never had any issue with mine and I giged them hard then... so maybe yours was a "Monday production"....

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
A 401 was my main amp for about 12 years.
I had a 2005 401 I bought from new that gave me no issues whilst I had it.
The faceplate did get quite hot, but no mods were needed.
I even had it stacked on a 1912 cab to enrich the sound and projection.
On the downside though, I used it almost exclusively on the Clean channel, getting all my gain from an up-front Boss GT-10.
I like lots of thrashy gain and the 401 just couldn't deliver on that front (IMHO).
It was just too raspy for me.

As I started to lean more about valve amps and the 4CM setup (mostly from the MF'ers) I found other weaknesses that finally killed off my love of the 401.
Chief among them was the parallel loop, and my first attempts at 4CM using the GT-10 were a frustrating failure.
The use of OD's out front was great, but TBE's just seemed to drown in the loop no matter how it was set.
I tried using 'dry-kill' on the TBE module setups, but you can't really stack TBE's with 'dry-kill' on each one.

In the end I gave up and traded it on for a DSL40CR and treated it to a GT-100 and Zilla 112 cab upgrade.
Now that combination, using 4CM and MIDI, is fantastic.
Series loops all the way for 4CM setups.

Strangely, I did become a fan of the stock 401 speaker though.
My 401 came with a 16 ohm G12T-100, and I had to swap the 8 ohm G12B-150 out of the 1912 cab to be able to load it correctly.
I went (rather un-imaginatively) for another 16 ohm G12T-100 (for a parallel 8 ohm load) and thought no more of it.
After I sold the 401 I snagged a Valvestate VS65R and decided to run it with the 1912 rigged in parallel.
To do that, I had to swap out the stock 8 ohm Goldback SPK65, and went for yet another 16 ohm G12T-100, to bring the load back to 8 ohms.
The dual G12T-100, open & closed combination is killer for an SS hybrid amp.

So I leaned a lot about valve amps from the 401, and am respectful for that.
It also brought me to the MF :h5:

But in the end it just wasn't the amp for me.

Last edited:

tmingle

Reaction score
Had one for a while.Bias current flowed through MV pot.
Oof!
The two DSL40Cs I have are far superior although I liked the clean channel on mine

Lots of heat bridge rectifier solder issues with mine

My tech stopped speaking to me over that amp lol!
That was 1 of the issues I had with mine. The MV pot failed & red plated 2 of the tubes.

Moony

Reaction score
I'd always prefer a 2x EL34 over 4x EL84 when talking about Marshall amps.
So I personally would also chose a DSL40C (or CR) over the DSL401