Any happy WGS Retro/Veteran 30 owners out there?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Vesperado, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

I might be acquiring an empty 1960B to use with the Marshall, either full or standalone. I heard a few clips of the WGS Retro/Veteran 30 mix, and sounds very capable to me. Can anyone verify this mix in a strait cab with 16 Ohm types? Or would it be preferable to get an empty 2x12 cab and go with the 8 Ohm types?

Any sound clips would be highly appreciated!

2. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I have a Retro 30 and a ET65. I like the ET65 better, the Retro 30 is pretty harsh, something like a V30 but worse. I think it colors the sound to much. It’s a tough call, lately I’ve been really liking the GB128 from Eminence, in fact I’m ordering my 3rd one today.

3. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

After some reading, I think the Vet 30 maybe the way to go. The clips I heard of the Retro seem rather colored and a bit bright. Thanks for confirming.

4. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

No 4x12 experience, but I've just recently swapped the Celestion V-Type in my DSL40CR with a Veteran 30 and it just sounds better. Smoother highs, tames the brightness of the amp quite a bit and gives me extra mids and tight bass. I can actually bump the presence up to 10-11 o'clock and it's still usable. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing an ET-65 or a Celestion Creamback to pair with the Vet 30 in a 2x12 Laney cab.

5. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

I'd stay away from the Creamback unless you want high-def highs which fatigue the ear. I got a quad of H75s which I'm trying to get out the door...they color the sound too much and the ear fatigue renders them unuseable. My two cents.

6. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I have a 8 ohm ET65 for 75 bucks, less than 10 hours of play time, barely cranked, if anyone wants it hit me up. Just not doing it for me although a lot of guys seem to like them.

I really like the Eminence Governer and I may get another one OR maybe a Weber SilverBell ceramic 75 watter just to try it.

7. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

Good to know, thanks. Thing is, I'm playing with high set to 3 and presence at 2 and the V-Type that came with the DSL isn't too ice picky. But I'm very sensitive to excessive highs (tinnitus) and I might reconsider them. What other good 12" options I should be looking into then? I like smooth highs and full, creamy mids with gain.

8. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

I got Tinnitus in my right ear, trust me, the H75s are too detailed in the highs, too sensitive, and sound the same whether clean or driven. Unless you got a low-powered open-back combo, I doubt the H75s would be of much value to someone with sensitive ears. Unless you want piano chime in your drive "always on", then better to look elsewhere.

For me the English made T75s cannot be beat. Problem is, I cannot find any working singles anywhere, although you might come across a bogus listing here and there. I almost flipped mine, but luckily my curiosity saved them from the mistake of selling them once I finished re-voicing my TSL. They do everything very well, they excell in thundery palm mutes without out the icepick attack. The mids are a little flat, but can be easily dialed in with the Mid control or an additional EQ or Boost such as a TS. I don't get ear fatigue at practice volumes, but even at volume they don't fatigue as bad as say a V30 or CL80. I am on the lookout for another quad with them, but the days of taking peoples word on their used equipment has come to an end for me, so unless I can verify a working quad on the spot, Im off to trying out a new flavor or two for my 1x12 BH cab.

The Jensen NightHawk is OK, but the rumble is hard to tame, and at times I wish it had more top end. I was misled by marketing technique to believe that Jensen is made in Italy, but truth be told it seems to only be assembled there, or perhaps merely packaged. The fact that they offer 29 oz. and 51 oz. models is a give away to their origin. Anyways, until they fix their sound samples I am looking elsewhere. But if you want to try one out I can sell you mine for a reduced price, seeing how you asked. Overall the freq response is flat, and bass needs to be rolled back to keep the rumble down.

I hear a lot of folks like the G12-65. I would think any English made Celestion is preferrable to anything else out there. Problem is is finding one that is in working order, and the cost, of course. Some like to mix V30s, others, T75s, others, G12Ms, depends on what you want in your tone. If the DSL is too bright, you could either revoice the tone stack/gain shaping, or get a dark speaker, or EQ it. Personally, revoicing is the best solution, but that's just me.

Wish I had a better answer to give you.

9. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

Hahaha, that'll do :)) Very detailed thanks, some food for thought there. My DSL isn't in fact that bright and running the Veteran 30 in there now has helped *a lot* to tame the annoying high frequencies. I'm using a TS already (sounds sh^te to me without) and the overall tone is pretty friendly since installing the Vet 30, however I'd love to find a good 8 ohm pair for it so I can install both in a Laney 2x12 closed back cab, which has some really great bass and low mids. I might pull the trigger on an Australian made Lorantz which are touted here as the best Greenback replicas, they're actually recommended for open back cabs, but will see how it goes.

10. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

Good luck on what might suit you, I got a Vet 30 showing up on Friday.

11. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

Got my Vet 30 16ohm in. Will test 'er out in a few days...

12. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

First impressions:

Great bottom end response akin to a Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab sound. Can emulate 80's V30 metal with this driver! Highs are more rolled off than any other speaker I've tried, which tells me these are for playing some higher high-gain at volume. So far in the BH112 cab its an absolute beast. No compression or harshness anywhere, no ear fatigue either. Feels like I'm playing a V30 tuned a tad warmer. Only complaint is that the cleans are not chimey or spanky...but I'm eying the G12C/S for that.

jmp45 likes this.
  13. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

You've pretty much nailed what I'm hearing! I've got mine paired with an Australian made Lorantz in a Laney 2x12 and it kills, no ear fatigue at all.