Any Golfers on The Forum?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Georgiatec, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I used to play a lot of golf when I was younger. Then I got married, had kids and didn't really have time to play to a good standard anymore (I was a 6 handicap).
    I'm now retired have more time on my hands and it's a good way to keep fit. I started playing again with the same clubs I had 20 years ago....only to find I had shrunk 1/2 an inch and my swing-speed was a lot slower. So I got fitted for a good set of old bloke clubs and I'm now back playing as often as I can again.
    It seems I can only have GAS for one thing at once and my re-discovered hobby seems to have curbed my musical gear GAS...at least temporarily.
    Any one else out there on the fairways and greens?

2. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Lech-rechaun Gold Supporting Member

Avid golfer. Played today. Then an hour in the locker room ROTFLMAO before dinner. Where I live, it was around 80 degrees today.

If I was retired; after coffee and breakfast, I'd play guitar for a while, then head to the golf club.... every day.

Before going through a tremendous change in life a few years ago, I'd play 3 to 5 times a week, during Daylight Saving Time. Now, it's play once, maybe twice a week. A practice session once a week. Two times occasionally.

I took the top picture today. The second one a few days ago. The third one last year, Damn early sunsets suck, but they sure look good.

Sunset2.jpg

Sunset1.jpg

Sunset3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    PelliX, GIBSON67, Trelwheen and 3 others like this.
  3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

New golfist here (3 months)!

Never thought I'd try it, but after going to a pitch 'n' putt with my brother to kill the worst weather day of a family holiday, we decided to give the real thing a go.

I bought a Wilson (XD) package set, but I haven't managed to get a round in yet, beyond the local P 'n' P.
    Had a basic lesson at the driving range and am now reliably striking my irons, but woods (D, F, H) still elude me (next lesson).

The weather is now closing in in the UK, so I don't expect to get my 1st round in before March probably, but I'm practicing regularly at the range and improving as I go.

BTW There is a golf YouTube channel that I have devoured. Two UK comedians set up the 'Bad Golf' channel to have a laugh and encourage folk not to be afraid of being awful at golf, and just enjoy it.
    Not a technical gurus, just them playing rounds around the UK, improving a little, swearing a lot, and filming it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    GIBSON67, Georgiatec and Sapient like this.
  4. tschrama

tschrama Well-Known Member

ehhh.. yeh right after I play some AD/DC or motorhead, it is straight to the golfcourse... cus it keeps me fit... LMAO

seriously .. wtf is a golf thread doing in a marshall forum?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  5. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I tried it once, wasn't my cup of tea. On the other hand, it's about the approach; you can also see it as a nice opportunity with a couple of buddies to smoke a J, go for a stroll and refer to it as "sport". :shrug:

Calebz, GIBSON67, Georgiatec and 2 others like this.
  6. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I am thinking of spending a little more on a Callaway Triple Track to pickup my short game and add a little finesse, because I even suck at miniature golf.

7. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I tried midget golf, once. Could hardly stop the midgets from running away though. Way too exhausting for me.

8. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I am much better at playing try-to-hit-the-golfball-collector.

Georgiatec, Sapient and PelliX like this.
  9. C-Grin

C-Grin Well-Known Member

I golf occasionally, but watch out for Bob Barker he's tougher than he looks.
    happy-gilmore.gif

GIBSON67, Georgiatec and Sapient like this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Same story, played alot when I was young, no time to play after getting married, probably played 2-3 times in the last 25 years, my wife and I talk about maybe taking it up together when we retire in 10 years.

GIBSON67 and Georgiatec like this.
  11. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Used to accompany booze with golf back in the day. We were idiots. Sometimes we'd get the carts to full speed then do donuts on the morning mist. Almost ended up in the pond a few times. Everyone's got their golf stories and I certainly have no shortage of them. Especially near point blank ball to human collisions. Fargin' narrow fairways. Lol.

I have 0 interest in golf these days. In fact I gave my Callaway's to my brother to golf once. Once. He can keep'em.

By the way, TXOldRedRocker looks loaded!! :dude:

C-Grin and TXOldRedRocker like this.
  12. TXOldRedRocker

The 3 G's of life!

Girls!
    Guitars!
    Golf!

13. TXOldRedRocker

I don't live on the golf course, my very rich friends do. I'm just a member of the club, which is one of my favorite places on earth.

ClubhouseAP.jpg

My humble abode with the recently put up Christmas lights. Comfortable, and not house-poor.

HouseXmas.jpg

Georgiatec, GregM, SkyMonkey and 2 others like this.
  14. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Very cool! I love the stone work ..always have. I remember looking years ago for a house with stone that wasn't a mansion. Wasn't much.
    Maybe your area is different, but that's a nice size pad with the stonework. The driveway edging is kick @ss too.

Thanks for the pics, bro!

Georgiatec and TXOldRedRocker like this.
  15. Calebz

Calebz Well-Known Member

When I lived in Tacoma, I played 3-4 times per week. Then I moved to Texas and played a couple times per month.

Since I moved to France, I haven't played at all.

If you're playing old guy golf, I highly recommend small woods. 7, 9 and 11 woods can pick up a lot of the slack that medium and long irons used to give.

16. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

A golf course is a waste of a perfectly good shooting range..:lol:

I do remember once having a bit of fun with golf..I was working for a land surveyor as an assistant, and we were measuring up a lot that adjoined a golf course. It was a wooded lot, and next to a green (or whatever they call the place where the little flags go) I noticed there was a helluva lot of lost golf balls lying there in the woods, and decided it would be a kind gesture on my part to put them back out in the open where they could be found.

So, I started tossing the balls back out onto the green around the little flag as I worked. I had tossed around 20-25 balls out there, when I noticed several golfers working their way up hill toward the green. So I hid behind a tree to watch the fun..:naughty:

The golfers got up to the green, and utter confusion set in as they tried to figure out which balls were theirs, as well as where all those damned golf balls came from!
    I was rolling on the ground trying my best to keep them from hearing me laughing my ass off! :rofl:

17. TXOldRedRocker

Out here in the far suburbs of Houston, we have golf courses, shooting ranges, farms, ranches full of cattle, and lots of just open land. No waste going on here. ;)

18. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

It was supposed to be a joke..:rolleyes:

But I was pretty sure I would get a rise out of someone by posting it! :naughty:

Georgiatec and SkyMonkey like this.
  19. TXOldRedRocker

Got it. Notice the "wink" at the end. :)

DaDoc and SkyMonkey like this.
  20. DreamerDeceiver

DreamerDeceiver Well-Known Member

Early 20s it was fun to go and hack . Never took it seriously. Plus I worked grounds/greenskeeper as a late teen job on a few private courses locally.
    Had a really good drive and a fairly decent putt. But the iron shots i had issues with. I just could never connect the dots with all 3 disciplines. Also being a fairly expensive sport/hobby ....I opted for fishing the course ponds instead :)
    <No patience and golf doesnt jive