Any Celestion V30 experts here?

Kutt

Reaction score
I own 13 UK made V30's myself. Eight are 16ohm Marshall branded, four 8ohm Mesa branded and one 16ohm Celestion. I also own 8 G12T-75's and one G12H-30.

I have read and watched a lot on the Marshall Vintage vs. Mesa V30. One can go insane researching this stuff. If you could summarize the tonal differences between them in 2 sentences, what would they be?

Deftone

Reaction score
I have read and watched a lot on the Marshall Vintage vs. Mesa V30. One can go insane researching this stuff. If you could summarize the tonal differences between them in 2 sentences, what would they be?
oh wow....great question. Unfortunately I have only played the 8ohm Mesa V30's in a Mesa Half Back cab through a Mesa Solo Rec. The Marshall 16ohm V30's are in Marshall cabs and I have only played Marshall's through those cabs. So I can't accurately answer that question. I would have to use one amp and one cab and then swap the speakers. Maybe some day....

I just watched that entire V30 vid though, and that guy would have to be more of an expert than anyone on V30's. He said there was really not that much difference between the Mesa and Marshall V30's he tested. The construction is the same according to Celestion, the only real difference being the ohm rating. IIRC, he said from around 2002-2005 V30's he tested were the worst. Also, UK vs. Chinese made did not make much difference.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
I have samples of both of the same impedance. In a nut shell the Marshall Version is brighter. The Mesa version is warmer.

Kutt

Reaction score
I just watched that entire V30 vid though, and that guy would have to be more of an expert than anyone on V30's. He said there was really not that much difference between the Mesa and Marshall V30's he tested. The construction is the same according to Celestion, the only real difference being the ohm rating. IIRC, he said from around 2002-2005 V30's he tested were the worst. Also, UK vs. Chinese made did not make much difference.

Thanks man. I watched that video too and the kid does seem knowledgeable. However I don't believe him when he says there is no difference between the Mesa and Marshall. Nearly everyone says things to the contrary.

At any rate... sick speaker collection you have!

Kutt

Reaction score
I have samples of both of the same impedance. In a nut shell the Marshall Version is brighter. The Mesa version is warmer.

Thank you! I've got a 2551AV with a Marshall Vintage quad and have come very close to ordering a pair of Mesa V30s for a different 212 cab. Not sure if it's worth it or not which is why I am asking. I shall ponder some more.

Deftone

Reaction score
Thanks man. I watched that video too and the kid does seem knowledgeable. However I don't believe him when he says there is no difference between the Mesa and Marshall. Nearly everyone says things to the contrary.

At any rate... sick speaker collection you have!
Thank you. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Personally, I'm going to go with what that guy in the video said. I've heard all the stuff about the Mesa V30's being different as well, but it sounds to me like he knows what he is talking about and he tested them appropriately. The only way to really tell is to compare them though the same cab, the same amp, same mic, same room, etc... and he at least claims he did that. He looked at the data, not just listened to the results. Most people probably played the Mesa cab and the Marshall cab.

My background is MFG. Engineering and what he says about Celestion claiming all the V30's are the same and the cone being the biggest factor in tone differences makes sense to me. Of course, that's just my opinion, YMMV, etc....

junk notes

Reaction score
tone differences makes sense to me. Of course, that's just my opinion, YMMV, etc....
yes, using the same amp and in the room, a MESA 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30s will not sound the same as through a Marshall 4x12 that is also loaded with Vintage 30s. guessing that they would sound close when mic'd.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Even through the same cab they don't sound exactly the same, at least mine don't. Of course mine are all over 20 years old and some 30.

DumpsterChicken

Reaction score
My 2 cents. I have mesa vintage 30s, and bad cat vintage 30s, and I like the bad cats better. They seem warmer and have a great distortion tone.

Deftone

Reaction score
I believe he also said the only real difference was the cone. They aren't spec'd differently between mfg's but the pulp used to make the cone obviously varies so there will likely be some difference speaker to speaker.

20200414154650_PaperPulpSpeakerConesWeb.jpg

https://audioxpress.com/article/speaker-cones-fabrication-materials-and-performance

mickeydg5

Reaction score
Not in my experience (much to my disappointment) - see above!

But at the end of the day it's all subjective.....
I get that. What you pointed out about them is what I like best.
Something to not is that my G12Vintage are all in open back combo amplifiers or in open back 2x12 cabinets mixed with G12Heritage.

charvel2

Reaction score
When in doubt, I would contact Dr. Decibel at Celestion. Has always been a great help for me. Congrats in your purchase.

RCM 800

Reaction score
Ive got chinese and marshall v30's. I like them all. Never tried swapping speakers between cabs as I like the way mine sound as they are. Did pick up some green backs a while back but they are still waiting for me to build or buy a cab. Im in no rush lol. Ive honestly always been able to get a sound I could use out of most any quality cab with celestions. I use V30's because friends turned me on to them in the 90's and they are just what Im used to. My current most used cab is my orange 1x12 with an Or20. Sounds great.

Latest posts