Any Advice on Running a Second Cab from a DSL-40CR for Stereo Effects?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
To all,

Thanks for all the great replies! So, I tried several different options, but what seems to work best is the following:

First, I set the DSL40 to the 20W output. Then, I remembered (duh!) that I have a 20W Origin. Hooked up the stereo outputs from my chorus to the inputs on the two amps (as Whiteknuckle, Skymonkey, Jethro, and other suggested) and, as Springfield Scooter says, it sounds glorious! No way can I ever go back to mono!

Now, as many of will doubtless point out, The tone of the two amps is somewhat different, and the Origin does not have reverb or a dirty channel. But my bandmates, poor benighted souls that they are, don't like the sound of the dirty channel on the DSL40, preferring my Blues Driver. So this is not a huge problem. The reverb on the DLS40 is kind of anemic anyway, so after matching the volume output and gain on the two amps, it really does sound great. Maybe if someone buys my Gibson Flying V, I'll but another DSL40! Until then, this seems to be a good solution. Losing out on the effects loops, although there is problems some way to do even that.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions!

Rock on!

Cal
That is great news,, and I know they sound great together.. because I have ran mine the same way.

Mitch

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hi
You could consider a lower priced 1x12, run the stereo out from a stereo pedal to a small pedal amp and into cabinet. That way preamp for DSL is used via loop send and through to cabinet.
30 watts. Tiny uses a single pedal space.

614HCJrX3rL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Hi
Hi Jethro,

Since last posting I have been looking at these sort of pedal power amps. There are a surprising number on the market, including ones from Orange, Seymour Duncan, H&K, EH, the Mooer above, and others. It is actually very tempting to get something like one of the hybrid power amp pedals, a pre-amp pedal, and just have the whole rig on a board! Sure beats hauling 50-pound cabinets (i.e, magnets) around.

Thanks!

David

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
About buying another DSL40 -- do like I did and keep a sharp eye out for deals on used ones. I picked up my "cr" for what the used DSL40s (non-cr) are selling for. It looks unused. Saved about $500 vs a new one.
Excellent advice. There are some on Reverb that are in the $500-600 range, but they are all local pickup. Unfortunately, living in a small, rural community (Phoenix, AZ), there are none here. The least expensive ones for shipping are around $750.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
That is great news,, and I know they sound great together.. because I have ran mine the same way.

Mitch
Cool! Thanks for the great advice! The stereo setup is really what I was looking for and I figure, even running the DSL at 20W, it's still 20W per channel for a total of 40W. My feeling is that if that's not enough for the venue, probably best to mic the amps anyway...

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the great advice! The stereo setup is really what I was looking for and I figure, even running the DSL at 20W, it's still 20W per channel for a total of 40W. My feeling is that if that's not enough for the venue, probably best to mic the amps anyway...
My Origin is the 50H and only use my Dsl40c’s on full power, so all I did was match volume. If I could remember the clip of it together, I bring it here.

Thanks

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Excellent advice. There are some on Reverb that are in the $500-600 range, but they are all local pickup. Unfortunately, living in a small, rural community (Phoenix, AZ), there are none here. The least expensive ones for shipping are around $750.

I got mine there in mint condition around last November or for about $500 with the footswitch included.

If you prefer the CR then just make sure the one you order has 13 knobs because MF has both the C and CR listed in the same category.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
If you prefer the CR then just make sure the one you order has 13 knobs because MF has both the C and CR listed in the same category.
If the 2nd DSL is to be a slave then it may not matter if it's a "C" version, so long as the amps reverb is after the FX loop.
The whole (inferior?) preamp will be bypassed anyhow.
If a DSL40C is cheaper then go for it.

Cooltouch

Reaction score
I found my "cr" in the used listings at Guitar Center's website. I even called the store to double-check it was a "cr." I forget which location it was -- Michigan or Minnesota? I live in Texas. Shipping was about $50 as I recall. Worth it.

I frequently browse through the used listings at GC. I've found a few items that were priced under market there, which I subsequently bought. Haven't been disappointed yet. It pays to shop around.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
My Origin is the 50H and only use my Dsl40c’s on full power, so all I did was match volume. If I could remember the clip of it together, I bring it here.

Thanks
Oh, wow. Even better. The more headroom the better. Then you get little or no compression. Probably cleaner, too. Very nice!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score

I got mine there in mint condition around last November or for about $500 with the footswitch included.

That's a great price! I do not have a preference for the CR vs. the C, which would definitely save some money. Thanks!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
If the 2nd DSL is to be a slave then it may not matter if it's a "C" version, so long as the amps reverb is after the FX loop.
The whole (inferior?) preamp will be bypassed anyhow.
If a DSL40C is cheaper then go for it.
Excellent point. I'm not sure the C preamp is inferior as I haven't used one. Indeed...

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I found my "cr" in the used listings at Guitar Center's website. I even called the store to double-check it was a "cr." I forget which location it was -- Michigan or Minnesota? I live in Texas. Shipping was about $50 as I recall. Worth it.

I frequently browse through the used listings at GC. I've found a few items that were priced under market there, which I subsequently bought. Haven't been disappointed yet. It pays to shop around.
Good advice. Thanks! Will try it.