Answer me this. If Leo Fender were so smart, why did he not utilize Humbuckers??

Losper

Reaction score
Singles aren't for everyone. They don't work so well for gained up apications for most people, but there are exceptions.

I like P90s in LPs. They can get dirty in a good way.
Ritchie Blackmore, Uli Roth, and YJM might argue...If you don't like those heavy tones, fair enough....

Xirdneh Imij

Reaction score
Because you can't get the tone and dynamics of a good vintage spec single coil using a hum cancelling pickup. Unfortunately absolutely no one, no matter how "clever" they are has achieved that goal in close to 70 years. That's why people still use vintage style pickups in their strats and teles. They were good enough for Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and countless others who's tone have not been surpassed.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
All of my guitars stay in the bridge humbucker mode, 99% of the time.
I almost never switch to a neck pickup, of any type.
But,
My favorite local guitarist plays in a band that does Zepplin, Nugent, Black Sabboth, etc...
He is a great guitarist, with a great sound.
Oddly enough, he plays a Stratocaster, with some sort of (Fender?) single coil-sized humbucker in the bridge, and a Marshall 4010 combo that sounds absolutely great.
Everytime I hear him, I scratch my head and wonder why he chooses a Strat with a single coil sized humbucker.
Why not play a guitar with a traditional humbucker??
Whatever his reason is, thats what he prefers, and he always sounds absolutely great!
single-coil sized humbuckers sound tighter than full size, because the source of the pickup is tighter on the surface of the string. it cuts better.

Last edited:

10kDA

Reaction score
single-coil sized humbuckers sound tighter than full side, because the source of the pickup is tighter on the surface of the string. it cuts better.
Absolutely. I have single-coil size Duncan blade humbuckers on a Strat, and though they are louder, darker, and thicker than single coils, the general character of the tone is the same as single coils in all 3 positions. They sound like boosted and EQ'ed single coils. It's because the length of the string over the pickup is so short compared to a full size humbucker.

jnew

Reaction score
Yeah, I can’t really square with the question myself. How does PU choice have anything to do with how smart the guy was? That said, he created something for music that didn’t exist and 70+ years later, the greatest rock stars collect them for insane premiums, they’re cloned to hell and gone and there’s this forum and countless others that dissect them deeper than the Mariana Trench. And as far as amps go, how many did he design to fit into EVERYTHING! Bedroom beginners to arena icons and every smokey pub in between. I’d say the guy had some smarts but that’s just me. 😉

Silverdome

Reaction score
Because you can't get the tone and dynamics of a good vintage spec single coil using a hum cancelling pickup. Unfortunately absolutely no one, no matter how "clever" they are has achieved that goal in close to 70 years. That's why people still use vintage style pickups in their strats and teles. They were good enough for Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan and countless others who's tone have not been surpassed.
Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Ron Asheton, David Gilmour, Jeff Beck....

Last edited:

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if it wasn't for Western Electric, there wouldn't be a Bassman...not a history student, huh?
Yes. I know that. And thats where RCA got the basic design as well, and iirc that's what Leo copied. But thanks for policing. Not a Friendly type are ya?

My comment was in regard to the Marshall Fender connection. Giving respect to Mr. Fender. Who was a pretty sharp man.

My statement is what it is, and I meant just what I said. If Leo didn't do the Bassman, whatever his inspiration, The Marshall crew, Dudley, Ken and Ken, wouldn't of had it to copy. It wasn't meant to be a history lesson for cripes sake.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My broadcaster is 9 lbs.

Solid maple

Les Paul once said, "if it were not for the weight. The Les Paul would've been made entirely of maple."
I use and love my 9.25lb R8 but you feel it in the am after a 3hr gig. At home it's tits to wail on for 15-20m at a time, or if you feel fancy and bring a rack of guitars. Just bought another R8 lemonburst that's 8.5lbs and it really does make a difference.

dro

Reaction score
I use and love my 9.25lb R8 but you feel it in the am after a 3hr gig. At home it's tits to wail on for 15-20m at a time, or if you feel fancy and bring a rack of guitars. Just bought another R8 lemonburst that's 8.5lbs and it really does make a difference.
Buy different guitars for studio use. My #1 live guitar is Les Paul 8.5 lbs. Backup is SG

dro

Reaction score
I bought my '88 Asat as NOS in 1990. Great guitars back then and I totally agree about the great value they represented.

Seems like many of the great players have gravitated to Fenders over the years. For one thing I think the solidity of the bolt on design is at play. I'm not a regular Strat player but they are a very comfortable guitar to play too.
True, but if you look at rig rundowns. First thing is to toss the stock Fender pickups.
I'd rather buy something I don't have to chop.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
We still at it here talking about not smart Leo?? 😔

:D

You need a Well-Hung guitar strap!! Unique, custom, padded, excellent for heavy guitars.

oMmcyVX.jpg

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We still at it here talking about not smart Leo?? 😔

:D

You need a Well-Hung guitar strap!! Unique, custom, padded, excellent for heavy guitars.

oMmcyVX.jpg
Looks nice, but remember I'm a goon (that's what my Canadian friends call me lol). Can I get 64" long?

Latest posts