Another New Guy

kustombob

Reaction score
Hi All' Love this site. I have been visiting here for a week now. I am 57 and have been playing guitar from about 14. Started on drums. Their were alot of drummers in my neighborhood but few guitar players so I switch to guitar so we could start a garage band. Love all the bands back then. Their were so many killer groups compared to now. Some of my favorite back then were Grand Funk' Humble Pie' Allmand Brothers' Blue Oyster Cult ect. Later I fell in love with Bands like UFO KROKUS The Priest ect.

I started out with a Silvertone guitar that had the speaker in the guitar. Then I got a big Heathkit amp. Then a old Sunn Solarus I think it was' It had the Head buildt into the speaker cab. Cool amp. Then a old Blue Tube UnivoxHead with the matching cab that had 8 10's. Then I got a Sunn concert Lead. I played it though a old Acoustic 201 cab the amp cabs the Doors used. Had the 15's and horn. Then I ran into a guy who join our band that had a Old Marshall head 'cant remember what type but it was very old . He modified it himself putting a MV control on the back. He use it with a Old Marshall cab that had 8 10in speakers in it with the checker grill cloth. His sound made my setup suck. I became a Marshall guy then. My mission was to get his sound. I found a Old Mk 11 head and by chance the same cab he had. They were pain in the butt to move but those cabs sounded better that anything I ever heard even to this day. Our sound now was top shelf for young 17 kids. As life goes those days went by and married life came and sold my stuff. Idiot I was :mad: . Now days I collect vintage amps. Have many 1960 cabs' Some with vintage 30's others 75's and one I found for cheap that has green berets in it. These green berets are killer. Sounds real close to Greenbacks. I have no Marshall heads right now. I had two 900 heads but sold them. I have a Orange 120 Bugerra 1960 plexi copy A bugera 333xl ' Old Univox Tube head. Some old Acoustic control heads. A nice Johnson' Randall and old Kustom head.

I am bidding on a old 900 sx-l Head. Also thinking about one of the DSLh heads. Also a guy close to me has a JVM 4 channel Marshall Head. This thing has more knobs than anything I ever saw. Does sound good though. He is letting it go cheap. But I like one trick pony amps. I grew up keeping it simple. Use my guitar for volume and backing off for clean tones.

Well thanks for reading all. Will post pic soon of my junk. And look forward to meeting you guys. I allready have learn much reading here, Thanks Bob:wave:

Bear R.

Reaction score
Welcome man..sounds like that old Marshall cab with the 8 speakers in it was killer..never seen one one of those.wow, i know you regret that one..but ya gotta move on right?..anyways, glad to see you jump aboard..take care buddy.....Barry.

kustombob

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes those old Marshall cabs with 8-10in were the bomb. It was straight on the bottom and angled half way up. Like a half stack in on cab. No telling what their worth these days. I do miss it. Bob

kustombob

Reaction score
Thnaks Guys ' I have already learn so much here. One needs a PHD in Marshall History to know the in's and out's of all the different versions. Thanks Bob