And so it goes

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Australian, May 3, 2021.

1. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

So true and now that same stash of goodies would cost at least 15.00 and hopefully there are no pervs outside trying to abduct the Kid!

3. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I remember hoards of us kids would hit "Sev" (7/11) walking there. Daily ....f'n hourly. Hang for "buyers" ..."Hey, would you buy for me". Most would too. Mickey's malt liquor, byaaatch. I knew a guy who would 5-finger MD2020 frequently too. Funny shit, ....til the cock nozzle stole my Seduce cassette tape from my house.

Kids don't even go outside anymore, and you ever see them hangin'. I think it's the bullying epidemic and a certain something that has gotten in a little too close these days on their tracks. Too dangerous.

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

the inference in the OP, was that even though he had a buck, he used the 5 finger discount to get them.

but... now they have cameras...

5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah I know, I had no comments about that!

6. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Used to round up a 6 pack of empty Pepsi bottles. I could get 5 packs of David & Son's Sunflower Seeds.

7. Dogs of Doom

when I was a kid, the grocery store across the street, had candy bars for 7¢. The liquor store next to it, was 8¢.

note: liquor stores in CA, have always sold more than just liquor, they are more like convenience stores....

used to be state law (CA), that, if a store charged CRV (CA redemption value), the store was also mandated to pay the deposit back, if you brought in the container.

Back to the candy bars being 7-8¢ They were bigger, like what they call "king size" now. I remember they climbed their way up to 15¢ & we complained every step of the way.

Then they jumped straight to 25¢, then next thing they shrunk them to what are "normal" standard sized bars today. Years later they introduced "king size" again, for $1...

What a rip-off!

IDK what they are now, but... still a rip-off...

Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  8. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

My mate sold me on the best scam when we were 14. The store kept the crates of returned bottles in their rear yard, alongside their corrugated steel gates/fence. I sat atop the fence and passed him two crates, while the dog in the yard barked his nuts off. We took 'em back in and got the return on the crate, plus each bottle. Repeated the process 5-6 times, saying our brother just had his 16th party, when the 'keeper remarked on how many we had. We quit while we were ahead, he woulda killed us :lol: Same mate "found" a wholesale bag of lollies (candy) in the unlocked storeroom next to the rear pinball room of another shop, while I was kickin' arse on one of the machines, and we exited thru the second door. His favourite trick was to load up on stuff while the 'keeper made him a giant Icee (slushie), with her back to him. I got busted and kicked outta the shop when I tried it, not cut from the same cloth it seemed...

Trelwheen and MarshallDog like this.
  9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I could go into a candy store with $.25 and buy a cherry rickey for myself and my friend and get 5 Bazooka Bubble gums for us.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Yeah and I remember the day and the store. Curly's general store when Wrigley's Spearmint gum 5 packs went from $.07 to $.12 I couldn't believe it.

Remember the soda boxes with the water in them and you had to wind the bottles through a maze to get it out?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2021
  11. Dogs of Doom

I don't remember the soda boxes...

(I fixed the quote in your post)

12. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Big cooler boxes the size of a big meat freezer. Maybe bigger. filled with water. bottles were suspended in just above freezing water. Soda so cold it'd crack your teeth.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I remember working in a supermarket bagging groceries and being at the cash register.

It was 1969 and I was making $1.65 before taxes were deducted.

I rarely worked 40 hours.

It was more like 20 hours.

I saved to buy my Gibson ES 335 at Sam Ash for $250.00.

That was a lot for me.

My dad said he'd pay the tax; buy me the case and drive me to and from Ash when I was ready.

My girlfriend made my lunch so I wouldn't spend my $'s.

I still have that 335.

1969gibsones335tdc.jpg

I married my girlfriend 5 years later.

We paid for our wedding.

14. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

It's a different world now, I would not feel comfortable letting my 9-year-old boy play outside without adult supervision. it is sad that it came to this but that what it is. there have been many occasions where the dude was mustebaiting outside the playground, not sure if the police got him in the end.

the school my boy goes to had a renovation and they put see-through the fence outside play ground and you guessed it creeps were keep creeping at kids so they had to put non see through the net. It's a sick world these days...... I grew up all day playing outside and you would never fear creeps like these days.

15. Sapient

Do you have a lot of "immigration" now?

16. Ramo

Ramo Well-Known Member

I would not say a lot, it is as it was as far as I know. Why?

17. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@Australian : My "and so it goes" is that I'm still thinking about Bhad Bhabie! Your Bhad Bhabie post made me her fan fo' life, son!

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I can vividly recall all the different prices of the Snickers and Milky Ways going up, and when I was 18 Coors , Budweiser, Miller, 6 pacs were $ 1.75, cigarettes were 50 cents a pack gas 78 cents a gallon

Sustainium and MarshallDog like this.
  19. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

I remember going to the nearby convenience stores and spending hours playing the one or two arcade games they had. Punch-Out and Spy Hunter were a couple of my favorites. Fun times....

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. Sapient

Statistically speaking it's when crime goes up. You mention more crime or it being more dangerous.

Don't wanna get political, ...I was just wondering if you had a lot there.

MarshallDog likes this.