Amps we dont talk about in public.

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ricksdisconnected, Jan 15, 2021.

1. riefil

riefil Active Member

I currently love using my Boss Katana 100 version 1. After several tweaks using the software, got it sounding pretty damn good. Won't replace my DSL40C, but its a lot of fun for noodling around in the living room. My wife likes the power scaling feature the best!:applause:

2. DC135er

DC135er Member

I have three Carbine that I think sound better than anything I've ever used. One from the late 70's, one from the early 80's, and one of the carpet-heads from the 90's.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  3. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

marshall.jpg Still loving my Legend Rock N Roll 50 after 40 years of marriage. Playing it thru my extra Marshall 425B cabinet. The speakers made a huge difference. Pairs well in stereo with my VM, loves pedals, it's 2 channel nice cleans with huge headroom, separate back panel controls control each channel and loop levels. Solid state amp with a tube pre-amp. Everyone know the the yadda yadda, Billy Gibbons, ZZ Top, blah. Great Amp, I've only had to fix the "lighted" power switch (Marshall replacement I believe) changed pre-amp tube and kept the cabinet oiled.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  4. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

When I first started playing at 14 yrs old I didn't have hardly any money. I scraped together enough money working after school and bought a very well used Sunn Coliseum power amp, built my own crappy cabinet with a 15" speaker and learned to play. It was really really horrible, but I didn't care. It made sound and it was mine.

5. MikeT

MikeT New Member

I've been repairing and building tube amps for over 30 tears. I have a house full of them. My furniture is all Fender, Marshall, Vox amps and a couple chairs. But I use a Quilter now. Never thought I would ever let a solid state amp in my front door. I suppose being 68 and not wanting to carry a tube amp around has something to do with it, but damn....it sounds good.

6. groovenev

groovenev Member

I had one of those in the 90's it was great! Sounded excellent... clean amp wish I kept it... light and loud :)

GIBSON67 likes this.
  7. groovenev

groovenev Member

I had one of those in the 90's it was great! Sounded excellent... clean amp wish I kept it... light and loud :)

8. francisca

francisca New Member

First amp I had as a kid in the 80s was a Gorilla GG-25. My recollection is that is wasn't half bad from an absolute perspective, and quite good when considering the money I spent for it.

[​IMG]

PaulHikeS2 and RCM 800 like this.
  9. francisca

francisca New Member

Heh, before the Gorilla I just posted about, I used to plug into the 1/4" Mic jack on my Mom and Dad's Stereo. LOL. I guess that was my actual first amp.

10. Mike J

Mike J Member

Back in the late 70's I had a Peavey Classic VT. At the time I thought it was awesome, especially with that built in phaser, but then again I was just learning back then (on a Sekova LP copy). Not sure what I would think about the solid state preamp today. Either way, I would consider getting another one if only for the nostalgia of that being my first amp. Who knows I might be surprised and still like it.

11. treblebooster

treblebooster New Member

Not new if it has to be new, but I still use it all the time- my Pignose tube head. Beefy 6L6 tone, decent reverb, loud as hell. I’ve left it out in the rain (literally). Never replaced a tube. Occasional scratchy pot is the only maintenance issue. Only thing I’d change is making the boost footswitchable.

12. groovenev

groovenev Member

I have a Seymour Duncan Convertible 100w combo 1x12 Two Channel from the 80's it is Killer, early example of analog modeling you can change the pre-amp config to emulate almost any amp tone... way ahead of it's time but heavy!! I have 17 pre-amp modules...and was still using it for small rooms until covid... (good when you have trouble fitting the Marshall.... LOL [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  13. Joe Boots

Joe Boots New Member

I just ordered, and am awaiting delivery of, the SPARK practice amp. I was in the market for a newer practice amp, and wanted a new distortion pedal, and was interested in getting a DAW to record some stuff. After doing some research the SPARK amp delivered all of this. The reviews I saw were pretty decent, so I pulled the trigger on it. It was only $250 bucks ("only").

Does anyone on here have one? What is it like?

fitz288 and ricksdisconnected like this.
  14. stevoc

stevoc New Member

This was my first amp as well... loved the tube stack!

my next amp was a 90 watt crate stack. I don’t recall the model but loved and played it for years.

after that I went to a rocktron v50d, then one of those Korean made 50w Randall tube combos. Both were decent amps.

15. Dirty-D

Dirty-D Member

my firat amp was the headstock of my guitar pressed up against the sliding glass door untill l moved up to the microphone jack on the stereo reciever and a boss HM-2 . . . pretty ghetto but determined to rock!

16. Leo27

Leo27 Member

I have an Engl Screamer 50. Really versatile.

17. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

love the HM2

18. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

Off topic:
    When you get the Spark, start a new thread, I'd like to hear what you (and others) think about it.

ricksdisconnected and Joe Boots like this.
  19. Rorer714

Rorer714 Member

I love my Pignose G40. I upgraded the speaker to a Celestion, replaced the tubes with Groove Tubes and with the right stompbox, it absolutely screams. And it's very portable. My only gripe is it's a 10" speaker but the 60 watt model has a 12" so maybe I'll get one someday. Or not.

20. Husky77

Husky77 New Member

I love the ID core for early morning headphone practice

Gunner64 and ricksdisconnected like this.