Amps we dont talk about in public.

MickeyS

Reaction score
I have three....my second amp ever owned (purchased new) is a 1981 Peavey Heritage VTX 2X12 combo loaded with Black Widows. 130 watts of 6L6 power. I added a peavey 4×12 Scorpion loaded cab. Reverb, phaser, dual channel, channel combining....it was a new version of the Mace/Deuce I believe and it did all of the Southern rock stuff with ease. I still own it. Next is the beast of all beasts, my Peavey VTM 120 full stack, with factory loaded G12K 85s, which I still own and use at practice. Peavey took the Butcher and made it nasty. It is an 800 with more gain, more low end, just more lol. I'll never part with it. I ran an Ibanez 7 band eq out front with the mids pushed and it just kills. Too bad it's so heavy and ugly lol. Number three is an early 90s Triumph PAG 60. Active eq I believe, and very Boogie ish, lots of gain and low end, just like the 90s lol. I still own them, but the only one I still play pretty regularly is the VTM. I would recommend a VTM to anyone who digs 800's.

80sTone

Reaction score
Forgot about this thread...I have a crate power-block that I just put an RP500 into - fun to play with - never use it out though but super compact for practice anywhere.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I usually buy and look for older
UK made Amps. Couple months ago
I stumbled upon a little Kustom 5H
Head, bought it just for kicks and
have to say its a nice little Amp for
50 quid used.

Its just a brightcap away from
bassically sounding like a Marshall,
but its playable right out the box.

I specifically bought it for the industrial
look to use as a testing rig poweramp.

Of course the seller managed to just put
it in a bassically shoecarton with little
bit of crap around so it came with a crooked
volume Knob and almost busted EL84,
but all good now.

The worst are the ones who say " I know
how to package an Amplifier" if you ask them
nicely beforehand and offer some packaging
tips. Ive seen it all, guitars plus amplifier
thrown in a huge ass carton with one
newspaper crumbled around it.

The best one i had was a motorcompany
engineer...he said when i offered packaging tips
"I know how to package an Amplifier".

The JCM800 Combo came packaged in
its accompanying Dustcover. Nothing Else.

His Answer when i showed him the damages:

"But i put orange tape around which says
dont throw! It should have only been
transported by HAND!"

I never mailed him again and ate the
damages. Sorry for the off topic rant.

Last edited:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I have three....my second amp ever owned (purchased new) is a 1981 Peavey Heritage VTX 2X12 combo loaded with Black Widows. 130 watts of 6L6 power. I added a peavey 4×12 Scorpion loaded cab. Reverb, phaser, dual channel, channel combining....it was a new version of the Mace/Deuce I believe and it did all of the Southern rock stuff with ease. I still own it. Next is the beast of all beasts, my Peavey VTM 120 full stack, with factory loaded G12K 85s, which I still own and use at practice. Peavey took the Butcher and made it nasty. It is an 800 with more gain, more low end, just more lol. I'll never part with it. I ran an Ibanez 7 band eq out front with the mids pushed and it just kills. Too bad it's so heavy and ugly lol. Number three is an early 90s Triumph PAG 60. Active eq I believe, and very Boogie ish, lots of gain and low end, just like the 90s lol. I still own them, but the only one I still play pretty regularly is the VTM. I would recommend a VTM to anyone who digs 800's.

I love the VTM!
Couple years ago i almost purchased
a brandnew storekeeper in Box, i thought
i was dreaming!

I had the price down to 300€.

They get this thing ready to send out
but tell me there will be import taxes.
The shop was about 5 km from the
border. Total cost would have been over
600 shipped. I let it go. But was really pissed at
the Man once more, because VTMs are the
rarest Amps in Europe!

Edit: I think the VTM is one off the most
cool looking amps besides old Marshalls
and Selmer and and...it reminds me much
of military aircraft cockpits.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Greetings to all, I recently acquired a Fender Champion 50XL combo. I truly didn't need it since I own a Marshall Ori20C and an Orange CR35RT. However, after trying it out at my favourite store, I acquired it. First, I couldn't believe how light the thing is (and it has a 12"). My Orange with its 10" weights more. I owned, a few years ago, its older brother the Champion 40. However, though it did a pretty good Fender sound, it didn't produce the Marshall like sound I do prefer. The 50XL is much, much better. It doesn't feature as many Fender types, but the heavier Brit amps selection makes it ideal as a very affordable and light amplifier to carry around. Its speaker is very good. I'm a Celestion Greenback guy. I believed it could need replacement at some point. Not needed at all. It's perfect. And the GB would add weight. At my age, it does matter. I highly recommend it. BTW, if loud is needed, this amp is LOUD!

mantrasky

Reaction score
I try to keep these two away from the public :)
1RQfm6kh.jpg

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I'll never part with my Line 6 Flextone II. In fact, I have a backup for it. It's my living room amp. The original Modern Hi-Gain tone, to me, is incredible. But once they released the Flextone III and POD XT, they ruined their own brand as far as I'm concerned. They haven't made a product I like since.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
The non-Marshalls...
The Park...ok...that's a Marshall, but it's sitting on top of a Peavey Classic 30. Sounds good, loud, light, great for grab and go and works great with a pedal board. Not worth getting rid of.

Next to the Park is a late 50s Silvertone 1391. Was my dad's, 5 watt 6v6 and pretty cool. Works great for harp players. It sits on a H&K 20th Anniversary which has been main gigging combo last few years. Nice clean channel w/ near closed cab is a great sounding & punchy pedal platform. I don't like the overdrive on it, and the reverb doesn't work anymore..

Top, far right, a a Yamaha G50ii (1x12) that someone chopped into a head format. I found at Goodwill for $25. With some cleanup and some minor repair that thing has become is a very vibey, and chimey, solid state option.

Since this photo I've gotten a Jet City JCA22H which is a rockin' little beast, I've got a mod kit I have yet to install on it.

20200817_124713_a_sm.jpg

Last edited:

Bull Rock

Reaction score
This will hang pretty good with most amps in volume and tone, even on the lower 25 watt mode. El34s. Heavy sumbiatch though. Paid $299 used. Original retail $1800 bones lol. There's a little Bogner wizardry and beefy transformers in dere. 20220313_123039.jpg 20220313_123152.jpg

Last edited:

Metroman

Reaction score
1970 320w Sunn Coliseum Lead with 8 JBL D120s speakers. I got it in 1974. Talk about heavy?? And loud. I only use it at home because its to heavy to move. Best solid State amp ever built in my opinion. Clapton, Jeff Beck, Santana, John Mclaughlin, and a few more have all used this amp. Clapton used it on Derek and the Dominoes at the Fillmore. Some of, if not his best Strat tones

1992 Peavy Classic 50. Some of the best cleans out there. Good enough for Steve Hackett. A very overlooked amp, especially for the money they go for used. Ive got 2 of them. One is the head version, the other is a 4 x 10. I dont know if the new ones are the same as the originals, but a new one can be had for $1000. Ifs its as good as the original, is the best deal out there for $1000.

Hiwatt DR405. Maybe the loudest amplifier ever made. The head alone is also as heavy as most combo amps. I got it in 1973. Head only. Still in perfect condition. Gotta have alot of spea\kers to run this baby, or it wwill fry them in short order. Ive got 4 original Fane 100w Cresendo As, and 2 100w Rawson Sparfield Starfinders I run it through at home. It never gets past 2-3 on the dial, and noon on the Master volume though. Its to loud. Its only been gigged 3 times I think in reality they more like 340w is what Ive been told.

2001 Fender Cyber Twin. A highly overlooked amp, and I got mine new in 2001, and is my practice amp, and my grab, and go amp. I swapped out the original 12ax7s for NOS Mullard I61s, and 1 90w Celestion Cream, and 1x 150w Celestion Redback. was good enough for Steve Winwood for almost 20 years. I think hes using a Fractal now. The louder you play the CT, the better it sounds. This amp was made for gigging level volume.

Bull Rock

Reaction score
I'd like to get my hands on a Cyber twin as a take out to jams and parties kinda stuff, but around here the lowest I've seen one is $700. I'd go 300ish...

JBA

Reaction score
Now you did it...at least I ain't the only one who will be ignored. Lol..
How dare thou name be spoken here. I hear if you put one beside a Marshall they will scrap it out... in Stereo. :hbang: