Amp's Emulated Output without a Cabinet

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by willelwin77, Nov 24, 2020.

1. willelwin77

willelwin77 New Member

Hello Everyone on this forum,

Today a Marshall DSL100HR head arrived into my hands, I have ordered a marshall cab to match it but that is being built in the meantime until the start of next year. The head does however have an emulated output. I am familiar with how it is bad to not have a cab load connected to your amp whilst using it but also know some amplifiers are designed to be okay with it. I thought i'd ask due to the thought that surely you would be able to just use the emulated out for the time being and that it would be safe otherwise there is little reason of it being there. I also know it probably will not very good but it just got me curious whether this amp is also designed to be okay with not having a cab connected.
    Any thoughts or knowledge would be brilliant and have a wonderful rest of your day! :uk:

2. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

One use for an emulated line out is to feed into a PA while you're performing, so yes there's a purpose for an emulated line out even if it couldn't be used without the amp powering a speaker.

However, I downloaded the manual and read it for you. Standby cuts off the power tubes but not the preamp, so the emulated line out can be used for silent recording (or to drive a PA without the amp powering speakers) with the switch in the standby position.

Marshall says you should still have a speaker connected to the amp, but that's because of the risk of inadvertently switching the standby switch to one of the operating settings. If you're super careful to have the switch set to standby, you can use the emulated out without a speaker connected.

Note that it's pretty easy to bump the switch, and without a speaker connected you won't hear anything to warn you that your amp is about to blow up. Run it without a speaker at your own risk.

If you have any sort of speaker you could hook up to the amp, your safety factor goes up -- even some little 2 watt computer speaker would alert you if you bump the standby switch. Might kill the speaker, but it would give you time to put the switch back into standby before you kill the amp.

Jethro Rocker and South Park like this.
  3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

you can pull the power tubes out & try it...

Just keep track of where the tubes are L-R & don't break them...

Just put them back, in the same order, when you get the cab & decide to use it normally again.