Ampeg vh140c

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by vscrl1, Oct 23, 2020.

1. vscrl1

vscrl1 Member

So I don’t normally post anything about solid state amps nor do I usually like them at all, but this thing is awesome. It’s like a 5150 but with slightly less mids. I was hoping someone here could tell me how to mod the amp to have more midrange like a 5150. I have the mids maxed and to me it sounds like a 5150 with the mids on 2. Anyone know how to boost the mids without running an eq in the loop? I’m completely fine with working on it. Just did some repairs to the preamp area (bad input jacks and busted effects loop Jack). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

2. thetragichero

thetragichero Well-Known Member

post a schematic

3. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

best bet, try an EQ in the loop & add a frown.

You might not like the amp w/ an exaggerated mid.

A buddy of mine had one of those in a combo. Interestingly, he was getting a Boston type sound. I asked him if he liked Tom Scholz, & he said mainly his tone. I could hear it, & it sounded good.

For some reason, I hooked up w/ him a couple years later & he was playing through some Crate ½ stack & it sounded horrendous.

That little solid state Ampeg rocked though, for what he was getting out of it.

4. vscrl1

vscrl1 Member

Yeah this amp sounds pretty tube like. The only thing that’s keeping it from sounding 100% tube is the lack of mids. It has mids but even cranked it’s like the high mids or something are still scooped out. Hard to explain lol. Super impressed by it though for sure.

5. vscrl1

vscrl1 Member

6. thetragichero

Screenshot_2020-10-24-08-47-02~2.png

that's a bridged t notch filter. easiest way would be to make P3 bigger or make its connection to ground switchable. you could mess with the filter values but that's maths

heck for testing purposes, if you're decent at desoldering (ie you're not gonna kill the board and/or component) remove the mid pot and see how you like the sound

7. thetragichero

channel b is your standard tmb fender tone stack with the treble pot all the way up 'embiggen' P8, 50k seems good (your bass knob is greatly affected by the mid knob. if it's too bassy with bass at 0 and mids pegged, turn down the mids. any higher than 50k and the bass knob will be useless)

Screenshot_2020-10-24-09-11-04~2.png