Amp versatility test! (JVM410H, 6505 & 31 more...)

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Guitarjon, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Well-Known Member

Hey all!

I'm starting a new amp demo series in the form of the 'One Song, One Amp' series.

This whole concept originated from when I was trying to come up with a cool idea for a new epic amp comparison with 32 amps or so. The basic idea was that I'd write one song that does a good job of testing the versatility of an amplifier by going through multiple genres and tones with a bunch of different guitars. I realised that the final video will take a looong time to complete and it will be a very long video so I figured I'd release each individual amp video seperately. In the end when all the individual episodes are done I'll make one big compilation video that will be called something like 'One Song, 32 Amps!'.

These are the tones/guitars that are featured in the 'One Song':

-Clean (Telecaster neck pickup & bridge pickup)

-Crunch (LTD Elite Eclipse-I with SD JB)

-Heavy Rock (Fender Jim Root Tele with EMGs)

-Solo Leads (Ibanez RGT320Z with Dimarzios)

-Heavy Metal (PRS SE277 Baritone with Dimarzios)

For that last segment I'll likely use a boost pedal in front of most of the amps, just to see how well they perform when boosted. I know a lot of guys who play the heavy genres like to boost their amps. For unboosted high gain rhythm tones just reference the 'Heavy Rock' section.

The first amp that will be featured in this series is the Marshall JVM410H:

It's a great amp! I got this amp second hand a year or two ago and it instantly was a favorite. It's just such a versatile amp! The cleans on the clean are nice but I actually prefer the crunch channel for my clean tones as it's nice and bright/chimy, so that's why I went straight to the crunch channel. The tones on the regular clean channel are a little too dry for my taste most of the times. Not bad at all, I just prefer the crunch channel. [​IMG]

Love the crunch tones as they sound very organic and have that nice 'pillowy' saturation. This channel is very versatile as it can do a lot of classic Marshall tones in one!

The heavy rock tones on this amp are great! Love the OD1 channel on the orange voicing for rock and heavier stuff.

The lead tones also came out quite nicely. Plenty of saturation with nice compression but clear pick-attack. Not bad!

The boosted metal riffs also sound great! A little noisy with the staccato parts but the way I record my tracks inherently introduces some noise with such guitar parts. Anyway, this sound is thick, punchy and gnarly but still with that full sounding Marshall frequency spectrum. My new Laney Steelpark does a great job at boosting the amp. The PRS SE277 can get a little muddy on the lows so this pedals helps to make everything sound more angry and tight.

Overall impressions of this amp in this particular test are very good! It's a modern Marshall with many options and plenty of gain where you need it, but it doesn't lose it's classic organic Marshall tone!

Ok, that was the first amp! 31 to go! What did you think of this amp? How well did the Marshall JVM410H do in this test?

2. giblesp

giblesp Active Member

Very well recorded and played as always. Same chain as you use with your other amps, on your Chanel?

How do you find it compares with your JVM 205H? I got one of those last week, am digging it...

Guitarjon likes this.
  3. Guitarjon

Cheers! Yes, same chain as always indeed. I have never tried the 205H but I imagine it's quite awesome!

Mitchell Pearrow and giblesp like this.
  4. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

Awesome playing and tone.

Mitchell Pearrow and Guitarjon like this.
  5. Guitarjon

Cheers! More amps coming to the series soon! :)

6. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Good video, good tones, good playing.

What's interesting is that you are using Crunch channel/green mode for your clean tone. I, too, find crunch channel/green mode a good choice for clean tones if looking for a different kind of clean tone than clean channel/green mode.

It's also an valuable experience hearing all these different guitar and different pickups with the 410H. The unboosted sound of the "heavy rock" section sounded impressive with the Jim Root telecaster!

Overall, a very tight, focused/well-defined sound.

Question: what amp will you feature in your second video for this series?

7. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Great sampling and playing. I love the JR Tele! :applause:

I own the 410H also. It is far beyond my capabilities (but I try). :drunk:

8. Guitarjon

Thanks! Yeah, I tried the green channel and wile it sounded good, it was just a bit too dry for me and not bright/chimy enough. I like the cleans of my SC20H or SV20H and those tend to be more in that direction. So the crunch channel seemed to be perfect instantly for me :)

I already have a couple vids lined up but the next one will likely feature the ENGL Fireball 25 or Mesa Mini Rectifier... Could be something else though.... ;)

MonstersOfTheMidway likes this.
  9. Raimo

Raimo Member

Great demo! Keep it up? Will you test the 6100?

10. Guitarjon

Thanks! I don't have one of those so not this time, no.... Would love to try one in the future though!

Raimo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. The Dose of Harmony

The Dose of Harmony Well-Known Member

Great video man!
    One of the best ideas or the best idea I have seen lately , Great playing too.
    I am sad that you are not gonna cover the 6100 thats one of the best Marshall ever and there is only two great reviews on you tube for the 6100 .

i was wondering why you did not pick any Gibson with 57’s or 498 thats a classic right there!

Are you gonna test the Tsl 100?

keep going my friend you deserve an A+++ score!!!!

long life to the Marshall forum and all the ampcoholics out there!!!

Sustainium and Guitarjon like this.
  12. Guitarjon

Thanks!

I do not have a Gibson at the moment so that's why I didn't feature one. I do like my LTD-Elite a lot though I love it as much (if not more) than the Gibsons I used to own tbh. Would love to test a 6100 or TSL but I don't have those unfortunately.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

@Guitarjon, the Jvms are Marshalls most versatile amp and they do everything great imo.

Great playing and great video as usual Jon!

Well done, looking forward for the rest of the videos.

14. axe arsenal

axe arsenal Well-Known Member

Any Friedmans in the future?

Guitarjon likes this.
  15. Guitarjon

Would love to but my budget does not allow amps from that price range right now... never say never though!

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Excellent job on your vid , playing and tones across the board are flawless.
    Thanks for sharing
    Mitch

scozz and Guitarjon like this.
  17. Guitarjon

Here's the next episode! This one features the ENGL Fireball 25, a new amp from this legendary German brand. It's not a Marshall but I figured I'd post it here anyway to keep everything contained in one thread. 6 other Marshalls will follow soon though ;). The Fireball 25 is based on it's bigger brother, the Fireball 100 and it does a great job of recreating that sound in a smaller package! The FB25 has 6L6 power tubes unlike a lot of other small amps and this does help to give the amp a little bit more headroom.

There are some features missing from the larger head. The bright and bottom switches are gone, possibly to save space, and there are no seperate master volumes this time. It does feature the excellent noise-gate, just as it's big brother, and that is a HUGE plus! The power scaling and soak are very cool as well.

Here's episode 2 with the ENGL Fireball 25:

What do you guys think? Sounds pretty sick huh?

Mitchell Pearrow and Sustainium like this.
  18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

You should add edge of breakup to the list. That old school Malcolm sound on the High Voltage album.

Also, I guess lots of people are using IR's at home these days, but to my ears they really take the life out of amps compared to real cabs. The dynamics suffer alot, the low end, mids, and highs. Just all around worse.

I like the premise of the series though. But hearing amps through IR's isn't really hearing amps, in my opinion.

scozz, Marshall Boogie and Guitarjon like this.
  19. Guitarjon

Our experiences with IRs seem to be very different. I have a couple of real cabs here as well and I've done and witnessed various A/B tests where you simply can't hear there difference between a real cab and IR. I personally love IRs, their sound and what they have to offer overall. If that's not for you, absolutely fine of course! Micing up a real cabinet with loud levels simply isn't doable in my appartment.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Maybe it depends on the context. Specific amps, whether it is turned up, speakers, and attenuator / load box? But every time I hear a flattened lifeless recording of an amp, I look and find that an IR is being used. See Leon Todd's youtube channel for tons of examples of that flattened sound due to IR's.

Marshall Boogie and Guitarjon like this.