Amp Simulator Software? Any Good?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by justinrhoads80, Jun 15, 2018.

1. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

I have been looking to a quieter solution to my Marshall DSL40c and I planned on getting either a Boss Katana or selling my amp, buying an EVH 5153 and using the headphone jack and use it that way.

Though I really do not feel like selling my amp and then spending upwards of $1000+ on gear that I really cannot experience it the way it should be. I do not plan on selling my amp either since there is no need to whatsoever.

I was thinking if a Amp Simulator software would be a better option? I know that a lot of people use it and get really good sounds out of it.

Though is it worth it? I am new to this stuff and don't know much about different softwares and how they work specifically.

Any tips on this?

2. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Marshall Code 25 or 50?
    Quieter than your DSL40C, headphone option, and very versatile Marshall tones at low volume!
    Plus they are inexpensive enough, you wouldnt have to sell any of your existing gear!
    If you like Marshall crunch, I dont think you will like the Katana...at least I didnt.

3. justinrhoads80

I am looking for the metal side of things.

4. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Amplitube

5. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

Deep Purple fan likes this.
  6. justinrhoads80

Not a big metallica fan.

I am going more for a Slayer/Behemoth/Pantera/Iron Maiden when it comes to the amp.

7. justinrhoads80

Would you say it replicates the amps it is simulating very well? I know that there is a lot of software for this stuff like Overloud TH2, Guitar Rig, and countless others

8. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I have used it with an I phone and I liked it but I don't know if covers the real heavy stuff . I think it has a slo100. I don't know how close it is but you can record and play back . It is good for practice at lower volume with headphones.

9. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

I have two suggestions for you:

Get a Two Notes Captor. 250 bucks. It comes with the Wall of Sound software which gives you 16 different cabs to work with in your DAW, plenty of mics and amazing possibilities to mix and match. Additionally it has a 20db attenuation option and allows you to play your DSL dead silent in the middle of the night through headphones. Keep the feeling of the amps pre and powersection working, add the IR and you're 99% there. Feels amazing to play and responds great since the Captor is a reactive load. Have a listen, both clips recorded with the Wall of Sound software doing the cab sims (real amps used: JCM 800 on the blues track, Laney IRT Studio on the Megadeth song):

If you don't wanna spend the cash google LePou, KeFir, 808 free plugins. Should give you everything to get started and give you some results. The Captor option will feel better when playing though since you're working a real amp and there are less to no latency issues.

Good luck, keep us posted. Cheers!

TKB and justinrhoads80 like this.
  10. TKB

TKB Member

Just my 2 cents worth....I come from a computer background and with that said I am using a zoom pedal into a 4x12 cabinet simulator. I know this will bring out the haters but since processing is being done with 32 bits instead of 16 bit the tube realism is amazing....and I own a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier (I also own a Marshall code 50 for the occasional "EL34 Heaven" setting) that is collecting dust because of the new technology sounding so good. When it comes to software, I use a brainworx bx_megasingle (a Mesa Boogie software plugin) into my Cubase. I have a friend that uses S-Gear http://slatedigital.com/s-gear/ and he comes up with amazing sounds. Good luck and remember....if it sounds good, IT IS GOOD!

11. justinrhoads80

I will give that a look. Seems like a viable option and a less expensive one. What about headphones? any good ones for this type of stuff?

12. justinrhoads80

yeah. I know I will get recommendations for the Kemper which is fucking amazing, but for me $2600 is a lot. Like a huge amount. I have heard though differing things thoughn on the computer side since some people say it is better than the real thing and others say it is a hunk of junk. I also don't want to buy an interface and then buy the software, not like it and not being able to return it. There goes $250 or whatever the software costs. So that is the one thing i am afraid of

TKB likes this.
  13. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

I have some Audio Technica ATH-M50X, got them following a friends recommendation. He is an Audio Engineer and uses em in the studio. I got a 100 Euro voucher from my friends for my birthday and bought them with it, so I only paid 50 bucks. They should be around 150 bucks. Very flat in the EQ curve, if you listen to music through them you hear every nuance of every instrument in the mix. Rather boring and lifeless for someone who wants to hear the bass thumpin (just get some beats yo) but for me as a musician I really love em. Keep in mind though that you should only use headphones for practice, listening back and not for actual mixing. For that task a pair of proper monitors is a must.

If you just wanna jam out in the middle of the night I'm sure there are cheaper options. I'm not an expert on headphones so some googling might help ya out here.

14. eastsidecincy

eastsidecincy Well-Known Member

I used to use Guitar Rig...which was great...but like all pcs...the hard drive crashed...had to get new Windoze pc....no more Guitar rig...may have to buy new version of it...:jam: