Amp owners opinions

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by ibmorjamn, Jul 9, 2020.

1. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I am focusing this post on Friedman 50w Runt so if you own one you have the floor .

I know the Marshall purist opinion , there are 100’s of opinions on your favorite amp .
    Only reason I put this up is I feel priced out of the older Marshall’s .

I had some opinions from a post here years ago about a JMP , I really wish I had ignored every single word because I passed on a modded JMP fo $900 . Never saw that price again . The mod was done by Jerry Blaha who recently passed . He had that amp documented .
    The Friedman is priced better used and has good quality . Proven circuits.

2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I don't own a Friedman, but, if you get a good price & you are wanting something along that vein, I'm not going to talk you out of it.

The Friedman amp's are built off of the plexi base & adds a couple tweaks. A lot of people like what he does. Obviously, he's doing something right. I'd choose Friedman over Mesa anyday, but, that's because I like the Marshall base circuit.

the SV20 is nice & goes for around $1300 new, & $900 used. It will be pure Marshall tone, whereas the Runt will have the Friedman mod tone. Either way, you should be happy. The SV20 will probably get you the old Schenker tone from Phenomenon - Lights Out/Strangers. The Runt will get you close...

3. ibmorjamn

I was on board with the SV20 or classic but given modern amp design they are more complicated but I have not seen a schematic of either but the old plexi is built so straight forward .

I just listened to a EVH 5150 3 50w EL34 and it had a nice tight bottom end maybe more so than the Friedman . I know where a new Friedman SS-100 is right now . Damn nice amp but new and pricey but no more than a 1987x

junk notes likes this.
  4. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

The SS is my favorite Friedman for the Big Rock thing...

ibmorjamn likes this.
  5. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

Have you heard a Metz ?

[​IMG]

tce63 and ibmorjamn like this.
  6. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I just bought a Friedman Runt 20 head, and I love it. It sizzles like my old JCM800, but the gain channel has heck of a lot more gain. No muddiness at all when playing chords. It is a very loud amp in a sense that you can't go much past 2 or 3 on the volume knob with gain at about half way up.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  7. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Damn! That's too bad. Even for a couple hundred more that amp woulda been worth it!

As for the Friedman, I don't think you can go wrong, they're on the pricey side but deliver the goods in spades (never had the Runt but I believe it's in the same vein as the Smallbox 50w which I did own for years and loved). Not trying to come off as a fanboy - but not only are the components, build and loop excellent to go with the great tones, they also sound amazing at lower volumes. Good luck!

ibmorjamn likes this.
  8. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

"Don't shoot!"

In the near future, shortly after getting familiar with one, that it will be on the bench, and having my filthy hands all over the circuit board.
    I am making my own Superbass. Shared cathode.
    I have already gotten flak that it will be going through variac's...
    I am totally cool with the animosity.

BTW warranty means nothing to me.

ibmorjamn likes this.
  9. ibmorjamn

I have a 10w plexi build on hold right now . Should be good if I ever get back around to it.
    Still , 50w runt at $1200 . It is more than I want to spend .

10. ibmorjamn

No , I have not .

tce63 likes this.