Amp Modifications

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Murfdog, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Iron Mang

Iron Mang New Member

I think there has been some excellent points made here, made by some people that obviously have some real experience!

I see that a lot of the younger guys now days need to have, “this certain amp, with this certain mod!” and then they believe that they’re sounding Holy Grail, when they can’t play for kaka. And the cheapness in which things are made now days, it drives the budding or real genuine player to boutique amp guys just to get decent quality.

I play for mostly enjoyment now days, but I still want tone and real tone not a bunch stomp boxes professing glory tone. So that is why I had my brother build my Marshall Major clone. It just don’t cut it with out the real mastery of the tube guy and don’t mean all the dime a dozen internet gurus. And I have to agree with the rest on the standing of, ‘RI’s do not sound like the real thing, EVER!

2. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

And as of the early 2000s the self proclaimed internet gurus are out there more than ever. With the advent of "build it yourself" amp kits, people automatically think they're builders/techs and yet don't even know so much as how to read a schematic.

There's a big difference between an "assembler" and a "builder". An 'assembler' can put one together either via "paint-by-numbers" or memorizing the physical component/wire layout without knowing how the thing actually works...kinda like a worker on an assembly line. A "builder" is someone who can tell you the function of every component, where current flows and how it flows through the circuit, transpose from schematic to layout and vice versa, come up with his own designs, know where and how to make improvements to a given circuit as well as the HOW and WHY behind those improvements, as well as being able to figure out on his/her own HOW and WHY a particular amp is built a certain way, etc etc. There's A LOT that goes into earning "tech status" and I don't say that to sound pompous or holier than thou in any way. It's that people assemble one amplifier, it works, and then they think they're on the same level mentally with those of us who've been doing it for a lot of years and they're not even close! Not one of them that I know of can even troubleshoot one past the valves and fuses, which is proof of this fact.

Now in regards to "a lot of the younger guys"...thank God I don't fall into that category. :D

3. 00jett

00jett Member

I like this, but i do have one question. I am a younger guy (mid 20s) and i dont claim to be a tech at all but i like to tinker. I dont mod my guitars and amps because im chasing some elusive sound, but rather because i enjoy working on things and that is how i learn. So my question for you 'not as young gurus' is what do you recommend for someone like myself who just wants to learn. I dont want to be an amp tech but i love knowing how things work and fixing things myself. I grew up in the garage with my father learning how to do stuff for myself by asking questions and making mistakes. I bought some books on electronics to try and understand things more, but what im wondering is where did you guys start? I honestly come to this site because there are tons of ppl who know way more than i do, so i listen and learn. (and let them offer the tech advice;))

4. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

Well I started electronics at the young age of 12...reading basic electronics books and what not.When I got into amps, the book that got me started there was "Inside Tube Amps" by Dan Torres.

The main thing to know is to stay away from the "if/then" way of thinking. When learning electronics theory, forget about tone. Lots of guys falter at learning because they're trying to relate the theory to the tone they hear. The BEST way to learn the theory is to just learn how the amp can take a weak signal and make it into a signal strong enough to drive a speaker. Assume that this signal is just a single frequency. Thinking of amps in this way when first learning the theory will simplify everything. Remember, tone complicates everything. Why is this? This is because there are no constants when it comes to tone. It's all subjective and all opinion based so there's no way to calculate it. However, thinking of amplifiers as if they just amplify one fixed frequency and that their only purpose in life is to make a stronger signal out of a weaker signal, things will be much easier to understand.

5. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. Anyone can assemble (well almost anyone) a kit amp. That doesn't prove anything to me. Someone that can fix, design and build an amp with the electronic theory to back it up is a whole different story.