Amp head suggestions

Cbcoleman03

Reaction score
Im in the market for a new amp head. I mainly play 70s blues rock such as Mountain, Cactus, Humble Pie, ZZ Top etc. Im wanting a tube head *preferably under 500bucks* that will get me in that ballpark. Wattage is not a priority. I have looked into a Marshall Origin, but from what Ive saw they may not be what im searching for. Also, I do not use any pedals so I dont want anything that will require a od or distortion to sound halfway decent. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

PelliX

Reaction score
If new means "new in box", then I think Ricks suggestion is pretty much correct. I'm not sure where you are, geographically, but a used DSL head might be available for 500. I was looking at a TSL for just over 400 the other day. I think the DSL/TSL is probably the most versatile here.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I do not use any pedals so I dont want anything that will require a od or distortion to sound halfway decent. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Suggestion #1: Find a different hobby - a $500 amp without pedals will only satisfy you if you dial it in and like to play the same song over and over again.

Suggestion #2: Get over your ridiculous "I do not use pedals" foolishness and get some pedals and an Origin - endless tonal options.

Your welcome.

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
If new means "new in box", then I think Ricks suggestion is pretty much correct. I'm not sure where you are, geographically, but a used DSL head might be available for 500. I was looking at a TSL for just over 400 the other day. I think the DSL/TSL is probably the most versatile here.

those are usually $700 here whe you can find them.

Markfresh

Reaction score
What about a Dsl1h?
They are cheap and can get some good sounds out of them , also in regards to "wattage isnt a problem" can you elaborate a bit more?
As for example if ur playing at home, there are some amps you will not get good sounds from if u cant turn them up hence why some people dont rate the origin etc.
(there are ways with pedals to make the origin sound ok at low volume but you stated you dont want to go that route)
I own a Dsl1h a Origin20h and a Mg100hfx, my favourite is the Dsl but i play heavier stuff but it cleans up nicely, i only play at home atm.

PelliX

Reaction score
Yeah, that TSL I was looking at was dirtcheap. Cheap enough to make me suspect there's something a little wrong with it. Still, could have been a case of a loose wire or just some bad valves.

When I recently bought a VOX AC15, the guy I bought it from told me about how it had always been to [insert name of renowned business] for service, etc. The name won't tell you much, but they are *the* place more or less in the east of the Netherlands. While he was telling me this, I casually pulled out a screwdriver and removed the two (!) non-original (!) screws holding the back panel in place. I jokingly asked if they had a screw shortage and had half-inched the 13 missing ones. He stuck to the 'service contract' line while I looked at the board, wiring, caps, etc. I bought it for a very nice price, and after cleaning the pots, fixing a few dodgy solder joints and replacing a couple of caps it's a happy amp again. Three of the pots are beyond repair, but I've ordered replacements together with a couple of the plastic corners. Interesting, how these presumed professionals also replaced the handle on the top the wrong way around... :shrug:

ampeq

Reaction score
Im in the market for a new amp head. I mainly play 70s blues rock such as Mountain, Cactus, Humble Pie, ZZ Top etc. Im wanting a tube head *preferably under 500bucks* that will get me in that ballpark. Wattage is not a priority. I have looked into a Marshall Origin, but from what Ive saw they may not be what im searching for. Also, I do not use any pedals so I dont want anything that will require a od or distortion to sound halfway decent. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
This is the only amp I know of that will fit your requirements. You will have to wait 2-3 months probably but it is well worth the wait. (I have one) It's the sound of an 800 Marshall (2203/4) and has great gain built in. Very versatile and controllable. You WILL have to spend a few hundred more than your target price but there is nothing worth owning at that price point anyway. (Unless you find a good deal on a used amp.)
http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2202/

If you want a great amp at a very cheap price, find a Carvin X100b combo from 1989-90 (Make sure it is from these years as they are all different.) Aprox. $300 - $500 and worth every penny.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Im in the market for a new amp head. I mainly play 70s blues rock such as Mountain, Cactus, Humble Pie, ZZ Top etc. Im wanting a tube head *preferably under 500bucks* that will get me in that ballpark. Wattage is not a priority.

To be honest, you’re options are pretty limited for brand new amp heads, but you might be able to find something used around that price. I know there’s a lot of hate for Behringer/Bugera stuff out there but honestly the V22 is a pretty cool amp, and the head is less than 400 bucks (if you can find one). Despite aping the Matchless design (cheaply), the V22 is internally pretty much its own thing and sounds pretty dang good for cleans, blues, and classic rock. The “Infinium” models with the red LED fixed a lot of the QC issues with the original blue LED models.

If you want a Marshall you’re down to one watt with the DSL1HR, but boy, is it a good one-watter. I’ve played the combo and I was surprised just how nice it was - pretty authentic Marshall tones in there, and louder than you would expect. The clean channel cranked makes a heavenly sound.

PelliX

Reaction score
I also understand the 'no pedals' desire - I don't sport a pedal board myself, either. There are some good modeling/FX units out there for little money, though. The Roland/BOSS GP-8 and GX-700 that I use are some of the best I've encountered and not very expensive anymore, but something like a reasonable DigiTech RP-something shouldn't set you back more than a few tenners.

Peter McAteer

Reaction score
Suggestion #1: Find a different hobby - a $500 amp without pedals will only satisfy you if you dial it in and like to play the same song over and over again.

Suggestion #2: Get over your ridiculous "I do not use pedals" foolishness and get some pedals and an Origin - endless tonal options.

Your welcome.
This ^^^^ is pretty good advice.

TheToneDig

Reaction score
A Boss Katana is that budget. Personally, I would buy Line 6 Helix Stomp and do it digitally for budgets under yours but it will be extra $100 and then another couple for the FRFR speaker.

I would save and get the SV20h but you will probably want to attenuate if you plan on using the master volume on high in a small environment.

Latest posts