>

Amp Case Question

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by MikeyDude, Sep 16, 2021.

1. MikeyDude

MikeyDude Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought I'd ask the tech savvy guys. If this is in the wrong place - please move it.

I have my DSL 100H in a live-in flight case. The rear vents and top vents are NOT covered by anything, but the front top of the amp is. So there is no air flowing through from the front to the rear of the case. The top is layered with 2 sheets of foam and one layer is trimmed to make a 1 inch gap between the top of the amp and the case where the top vents are located across the entire width of the vents (hope that make sense).

Should I cut the top foam to increase the gap over the vents to 2 inches?
    OR should I cut the foam to allow for front to rear air flow?
    Or is it okay as it is?

Thoughts?

2. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

There is practically no 'airflow' through the front of the amp, but it sounds like it might be impaired in radiating some of the heat away. I'd always recommend to remove it from the flight case and/or get an extractor fan on the back cover. How hot does it get (for example after an hour when touching the front controls/panel and the back cover plate)? If it's unpleasant to the touch, it will be cooking inside which won't do it any favors. A picture often says 1000 words, too... just sayin'. :)

Pete Farrington likes this.
  3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Should you really be running a head inside a case anyway?
    I get that it needs protecting during transport, but when you get there go the extra yard and take it out.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  4. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Well-Known Member

5. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I keep my 2555SL in a flight case. I haven’t played it for long sessions in the case in a long time, but I’ve never had problems. Before I had the 2555 I used to have 9VDC fans attached to the grate on my old JCM2000, which was in the case. The wires were hanging out and terminated to a plug for attaching a 9VDC wall wart.

SkyMonkey, PelliX and MikeyDude like this.
  6. MP+

MP+ Member

I've found the vent set up on 100 watt heads to be barely enough as it is. I had a 50 watt Jubilee which was in the smaller "club" version sleeve. After long practice sessions that thing practically radiated heat through the timber case and the power transformer was very hot to touch. That case had no vent opening at the top as the 100 watt heads do but it really could have used one big time. The internal heat just builds up and multiplies, anything to improve the venting is in your favor.

7. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Well-Known Member

I wanted a case that could hold my effects and the amp in a ready to play state, with all the patch cables etc in place. So I designed a 4U chassis that left the tubes in open space then mounted it in a suitable case. Then I did it again. I took all the parts from a 2550 and made it into a 2204.

SkyMonkey likes this.