Amp advice

Venn91

Reaction score
hello everyone,
I don't know if a similar post already exists but I wanted to ask:
I'm a big fan of Frusciante and I would like some advice on a tube marshall for rhcp sounds. I know that the studio versions of the plexi and silver jubilee are out and they would be perfect but they are a bit too expensive... I wanted to know if with a marshall origin 20 I can get the sounds I'm looking for, since it is more in my budget and also has scalable power to 1w (if I'm not mistaken).
I only play at home and I have an attenuator that I already use with my fender amp and pedals.
I read in various forums that any marshall sound is enough but I would not throw money away .. unfortunately the store in my area has only the DSL line but I was not convinced so much

thanks to all :)

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
I don't know if a similar post already exists but I wanted to ask:
I'm a big fan of Frusciante and I would like some advice on a tube marshall for rhcp sounds. I know that the studio versions of the plexi and silver jubilee are out and they would be perfect but they are a bit too expensive... I wanted to know if with a marshall origin 20 I can get the sounds I'm looking for, since it is more in my budget and also has scalable power to 1w (if I'm not mistaken).
I only play at home and I have an attenuator that I already use with my fender amp and pedals.
I read in various forums that any marshall sound is enough but I would not throw money away .. unfortunately the store in my area has only the DSL line but I was not convinced so much

thanks to all :)
:welcome: to the forum.
I have the Origin20 & the DSL20 and can get great tones from both, but I'm also not opposed to using a variety of pedals to shape the tone...
Just watched some live RHCP vid, and JF has a pedal board the size of my dining room table.
Amps are a big part of the signal chain that starts just above the fretboard, but just an amp is not going to get you Frusciante tone.
If you can play like that, with a few pedals, any amp in your budget should get you there.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t own an Origin20 but l think that amp will get you in my paisan Dave Frusciante’s ballpark. He uses a wide variety of clean and distorted tones so maybe a Tubescreamer or an Sd1, or almost any od pedal, with an O20 would get you there. :cool:

speyfly

Reaction score

Welcome to the asylum Venn91!​

I too just listened to some live RHCP vids and I think you'd be very happy with an Origin matched up with good quality speakers in a closed back cab.

The Origin is great by it's self but to get the gain going you need to crank it. With pedals as fitz and others have stated, you can sculpt the tone to just about anything you want. Add in a good OD, a delay, and a good quality 20db boost pedal to juice the power section of the amp, you'll have all the gain you would need.

Rolling tubes is another great way to find your tone but I'll leave that for another thread.

Here's Johns pedalboards from the beginning.

https://www.jftab.com/john-frusciante-gear-effects.php

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
I have the Origin20 & the DSL20 and can get great tones from both, but I'm also not opposed to using a variety of pedals to shape the tone...
Just watched some live RHCP vid, and JF has a pedal board the size of my dining room table.
Amps are a big part of the signal chain that starts just above the fretboard, but just an amp is not going to get you Frusciante tone.
If you can play like that, with a few pedals, any amp in your budget should get you there.The one thing I can say is over the last 10 years I spent more money on amps trying to save money buying lesser expensive amps and I would have been miles ahead by just buying a plexi even if it cost $2800
fitz I somewhat agree but since I have been on this forum I heard a lot of amp advice and followed some. I know people who make the DSL sound good but it disappointed me even after I changed the speaker.

The one thing about the right amp is it will get you closer right off the bat. You can get better at playing but once you own a amp , well.
The one guy who recently asked about getting rhcp clean sound out of a Jubilee got nearly every answer he wanted but the right one. Lol
I found this video and the amp is pretty close but like the op said they are pricey.
Man I wish I had a good answer. As he stated in the first post , a wild guess is the Origin. I have not experienced it my self.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
If I had half the money I have spent in the last 10 years on amps , I could have just bought a plexi or a JCM 800 2204 and be ahead. Thinking every purchase I will spend less and when I did I got less results. Of course being able to play like your favorite player doesn’t come in a box. Lmao

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
fitz I somewhat agree but since I have been on this forum I heard a lot of amp advice and followed some. I know people who make the DSL sound good but it disappointed me even after I changed the speaker.

The one thing about the right amp is it will get you closer right off the bat. You can get better at playing but once you own a amp , well.
The one guy who recently asked about getting rhcp clean sound out of a Jubilee got nearly every answer he wanted but the right one. Lol
I found this video and the amp is pretty close but like the op said they are pricey.
Man I wish I had a good answer. As he stated in the first post , a wild guess is the Origin. I have not experienced it my self.

If you are suggesting the Origin will get closer "right off the bat", I'd say that I've heard both the Origin and DSL 20's both sound great, and both sound like $#!+ in YT vids.
I've heard the Origin described as a "great pedal platform", and more of a "classic" Marshal tone.
Having both, IMHO, the DSL clean channel is more of a versatile pedal platform throughout the volume range.
Throw in the Ultra channel on the DSL and for me the possible tonal varieties are, well, kinda doubled.
As you crank the Origin, it gets more and more into a native, natural overdrive.
Like I've said, I like them both, and with pedals, I can actually get insane DSL like gain from the Origin, and smooth, mellow "classic" OD tones from the DSL clean channel.
Speaker, tubes, guitars and pedals all change what these amps can do.
Finding the combination of what works for you is the rabbit hole.

Listogast

Reaction score
I use a DSL40 and get a really close tone.

It doesn't really matter so much as to what amp he uses, rather it's the way he uses them. He cranks the volume and gain until they just start to break up which gives a lot of punch to your tone. He also uses a Boss CE-1 to split his signal between two amps and that pedal also has it's own unique preamp that adds more crunch to his tone.

Setting up the amp properly really is key as well. I have my treble set all the way on 0 and bass maxed out. I've tried matching his tone through recording, and I've found that you want your tone to be really dark. Not muddy, but you don't want any of that stereotypical fender sparkle in your tone.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
If you are suggesting the Origin will get closer "right off the bat", I'd say that I've heard both the Origin and DSL 20's both sound great, and both sound like $#!+ in YT vids.
I've heard the Origin described as a "great pedal platform", and more of a "classic" Marshal tone.
Having both, IMHO, the DSL clean channel is more of a versatile pedal platform throughout the volume range.
Throw in the Ultra channel on the DSL and for me the possible tonal varieties are, well, kinda doubled.
As you crank the Origin, it gets more and more into a native, natural overdrive.
Like I've said, I like them both, and with pedals, I can actually get insane DSL like gain from the Origin, and smooth, mellow "classic" OD tones from the DSL clean channel.
Speaker, tubes, guitars and pedals all change what these amps can do.
Finding the combination of what works for you is the rabbit hole.
It just seems more in the realm to me of basic tone. Origin is by design less gain and I would guess a bit less preamp gain. Hell , you can disregard all of that. I have neither of them. You have the floor. Lol

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
:welcome:
To The Forum
I believe you could very well get there with the Origin as well.
And I am an owner of both the Dsl40c and Origin 50H.
Good luck on your tone quest..
Mitch
Mitch , would you think the clean channel with a clean boost on the DSL ? What about the Origin ? No pedals or clean boost as well ?

Venn91

Reaction score
I use a DSL40 and get a really close tone.

It doesn't really matter so much as to what amp he uses, rather it's the way he uses them. He cranks the volume and gain until they just start to break up which gives a lot of punch to your tone. He also uses a Boss CE-1 to split his signal between two amps and that pedal also has it's own unique preamp that adds more crunch to his tone.

Setting up the amp properly really is key as well. I have my treble set all the way on 0 and bass maxed out. I've tried matching his tone through recording, and I've found that you want your tone to be really dark. Not muddy, but you don't want any of that stereotypical fender sparkle in your tone.

wow that's really useful, did you also have the master volume cranked as well as the volume and gain? in this case I should live on a desert island to have 40w at full power ahah instead use pedals for the gain and have the amp at a lower volume can be a solution?

Listogast

Reaction score
wow that's really useful, did you also have the master volume cranked as well as the volume and gain? in this case I should live on a desert island to have 40w at full power ahah instead use pedals for the gain and have the amp at a lower volume can be a solution?
Well mine is actually the 40C so I don't have a master volume knob. So yeah it was just cranked up pretty loud. But you can get a similar tone with a pedal while keeping the amp quieter. The only difference is that you don't really get the punch that comes with cranking it up. But in a recording you wouldn't really notice much of a difference.

Most of the time I have an overdrive pedal called Tone City Golden Plexi that I have the gain set really low on and I have the crunch channel set really clean and that usually gets the right amount of break up for the tone. Or you can just use the crunch channel with the gain at like 5. I have that about matched with my overdrive pedal so both have the same amount of gain, but you can totally get the right tone straight from the amp without any pedals.

In the second video I actually had it at bedroom volumes and then used a MXR Dyna Comp to get the spongy compression. That's definitely a big part of the tone from that era.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Welcome aboard new MF'r! :h5:

I am not that familiar with RHCP but after listening to a few of the videos posted I feel an origin would work. I have the Origin 50C and love it from nice Marshall cleans to just past the edge of breakup with a Les Paul Standard. Then, add an OD pedal of choice and look out and the power scaling option works really well. Good luck.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Mitch , would you think the clean channel with a clean boost on the DSL ? What about the Origin ? No pedals or clean boost as well ?
Clean boost and EQ for me, but I am not after his tone.
And I would do the same with the Dsl40c, but I usually live in the ultra red 2 area on the Dsl40c with a clean boost as well.
Cheers

Latest posts