Am I the only *No Treble* on a Marshall dude?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Neptical, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Schenker in 2000...

2. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

You’ve all pretty much not considered the most important factor when it comes to how much treble and presence to use , the master volume level . If you’re master is on 1 then sure , you don’t need much high end . If you’ve got it on 8 then yes you will need more highs , simple as that .

3. dro

dro Well-Known Member

It's my presence that stays low if not off.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I run my treble about 4 and presence at 6 but then again most of my amps have the brite cap reduced and I use either Green or Creambacks!

5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I run the presence down really low, usually turned off.

Treble is generally somewhere around 5, never more than 7. This is with humbuckers into a Superlead or 2203 or JTM45, into Greenbacks or Greenbacks and Creambacks. I run the treble a bit higher when using the cab with only Greenbacks in it, because Greenbacks have a well rolled off treble response.

I don't own any "modern voiced" Marshalls. I don't care for their fizzy overdrive. I'm addicted to the roar of a Superlead driven too far.

6. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I am in full agreement and thats why the only newer Marshall I own is the Origin!

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am going to step in and say my piece
    Treble-8
    Presence-8
    This is on both of my rigs Origins
    Dsl40c’s
    Bass -5
    I like what I hear, as volume goes up on the Dsl40c’s. I might roll down the tone pot on my guitars, but this is my preference, not everyone’s.
    Cheers
    Mitch

8. 80sTone

80sTone Well-Known Member

Depends on what I am in mood for may be low may be high on treble depending on what else I decide to move around....I dont mark any settings anymore....but no I don't just turn it off completely...But I use a 2204 and have found I could play more through more than one with same settings and they all have different character.

9. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

I’m a zero Presence, maybe 3 or 4 Treble no Bass and 10 Middle guy usually. JTM 45 or Origin 50H into vintage 4x12’s w/Greenbacks. Volume up on both amps 7/8 on JTM maxes on Origin with gain at maybe 4

10. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Yeah man, absolutely zero mud. Using my maple neck HSS Strat, I got all the grit and kerrang. I was on the volume today and it just gets better with volume and opens up even more.

My settings are night and day to my Boogie Mark IIIs ( obviously since the tone stack is different). My Treble is on 8 for those but that's where the gain starts.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Awesome! I'm not alone :fever:

But also not worthy! :bowdown: haha

12. Matthews Guitars

A lot of your tonal preference may be related to the condition of your hearing.

When I hear a player who sets his amp to "SO SHRILL IT KILLS" then I KNOW he has blown his ear tweeters.

I've managed to preserve my hearing very well and I intentionally back off the treble a lot because I'm happy when there's enough treble to get clarity, and no more than that is needed.

If you've got the treble and presence cranked and you are using speakers that don't have a reputation for being dull sounding, do yourself a big favor and schedule an appointment with an audiometrist. You may have more hearing damage than you can guess.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  13. Scallywag77

Scallywag77 New Member

I’m the opposite and keep my bass very low, mids in the middle and treble up. But I like a cutting tone. I play mostly old punk which was never big on bassy guitar sound. To each there own I say.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I like some sizzle. But it is amp dependent big time. The 800s have that high end o course so treble is maybe 4 or 5. Never zero.
    6101is pretty bright too. Jubilee? Nope. Tone stack jn a different place it needsmore.
    Most of mine TSL, 800s, 6101, tone controls sit close to 5 , plus or minus some. Jubes a bit higher. Depends on song too and even venue and volume.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  15. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Interesting topic...

I've run through nearly every combination on my Marshalls and it varys depending on model but I personally never found the treble that low even remotely usable .. granted I have different models.

I find a quick goto setting for some classic Marshall crunch and sizzle is Bass 0 Mid 10 Treble 10 Presence 4-6 or to taste. I personally prefer some mids rolled off but that setting is always fun to jump into and let off some steam.

My usual settings are around this, Bass 3-5 Mid 3-6 Treble 6-8 Presence 5-7

I know on my 2266 the bass spends most it's life at 0.. Now that amp is "all about that bass"

16. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

^^ +1

I originally bought my SC20H to play classic punk and hardcore and most of the songs that were recorded using JCM 800's were pretty bright, so I use similar settings.

One thing I did notice, however, is that if I switch off the Holy Grail reverb that I have in my loop, suddenly my tone becomes seriously bright. If I want to leave the reverb off then I have to turn the treble and presence down on my amp. I have noticed this same effect on my Rectifier too when I have the Holy Grail in the loop.

Has anyone else with a Holy Grail (Max) noticed theirs cutting a lot of treble out of the signal? :scratch:

17. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

18. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Maggot Brain likes this.
  19. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

You sound like the news media here in the US, "if you don't feel the same way as I do there must be something wrong with you" lol. I'm sure if my tone were dangerously earplittingly shrill I would get complaints - I think I'm good.

My Marshall benchmark tones are high mid driven with little to no low end. That's how you work together as a band--excess low end is distracting and mostly unnecessary, as you can hear below in the Slash clip--one of the most coveted Marshall tones of all time.

20. Matthews Guitars

What you've got there sounds good to me. It's by no means a bass heavy tone but it's FAR short of that "shrill kill" sound that I expect means the guitarist has blown up his hearing in the treble range. Let's just say that if you're adding an EQ treble peak PLUS having treble and presence already maxed out, that IS a warning sign.

Besides, everybody should have his hearing checked routinely at least once every 10 years anyway.

You can just do it at home using some free online hearing tests that you can get on the web. Use your best headphones and take the test.

Maggot Brain and Old Punker like this.