>

Am I the only *No Treble* on a Marshall dude?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Neptical, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

'ello Marshall Fam!

Please take no offense ( and this is IMHO) but that (T) dial takes the cake for adding horrible, sizzle. That knob just doesn't benefit me on any of my Marshalls ( DSL 50,100, SLX 2500, (6) 3210s, (1) 3315). At most I can add a VERY fine hair (1-2) before it sounds like a crackling AM radio.

I swear that knob is why I own a good amount of y'alls Marshalls. Lol A juicy, beefy and punchy Marshall ( to me) sounds best at Presence (9), Mids (7) Bass (7) Treble ( 0 ) through fatty G12T75s.

Edit: Presence and Mids shift Marshall to Marshall. The dials will sometimes never move on either.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

No, I like my Treble pot low (below 5) and Presence almost off. Both on my DSL100 and SV20H, no matter what speakers I use with them.

3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

4. AdrianDSL

AdrianDSL Active Member

Well I'm in good company, it seems.
    20210415_155404_1.jpg
    But I'll have to try the 0 treble, full on presence, looks very intriguing :)

L.E.: Wow, that's very cool. I tried 0 treble and 9 presence but it was too much for me, then I went 0 treble and 5.5 presence and that's pretty good, on the DSL OD2 ramping up the presence seems to emphasize the pick attack nuances, the deeper I dig the better, chewy it sounds. I like it :)

5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

None of my Marshalls sound good with Treble off, mind you they are all ‘proper Marshall’s’ (lol) made before 1972!!!
    Seriously though EQ is just that, tweak to your needs however if multiple users. need to turn one to zero or 10 al the time it does question the quality of the design.

6. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

Presence 2 1/2
    Bass 4
    Middle 5
    Treble 3 1/2
    Preamp 8 - 10

Classic rock breakup tone. For me.

Also, 95% of the time, I'm playing humbuckers.

7. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

Yes, the sizzle lives on the treble knob. That’s also the part of the EQ that can make an amp sound really loud too. I keep my treble pretty low as a rule. You do need it more to cut through a mix, not so much in your living room.

Mr. Natural and Maggot Brain like this.
  8. FracStrat

FracStrat Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Neck Pick-up… Light on the Treble …… Robin Trower

9. spacerocker

spacerocker Well-Known Member

There are no rules....but to me a Marshall is a Bright-sounding, cutting amp with a lot of upper mids! This applies to my vintage 2203 and my JVM410 equally. Of the two the 2203 is brighter as stock....

I think a lot of Marshall's reputation comes from a bright cutting sound (Plexi, 2203...) which really cuts through the mix..

But it can be tiring, and will damage your hearing eventually at high volumes. Prehaps these days (with PA's and micing) a bight sound is not necessary?

But for me, it has to be that classic, searing Marshall sound, so I have to have the treble up 3/4 and the presence up by the same amount too!...

10. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Very cool and I actually like this tune ( not the Meaghan Trainor version ) Thanks Rick !

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  11. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

1000%. Sizzle is part of the Kerrang—why inexperienced players tend to get lost and need to turn up too loud to be heard when they play with other musicians.

One of the greatest, most emulated and revered guitar tone of all time:

Adey1981, Timo V, Old Punker and 6 others like this.
  12. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

Cool, glad you dig it!
    These settings work pretty fantastic on the DSLs. I should have mentioned that my Presence and Mids vary each Marshall. Some amps I really dig it cranked up and then some it doesn't really move too much. Whatever it takes to obtain a fatter and tighter tone. Goosed with an SD-1 is tonal oblivion.

Marshalls already have the kerrang naturally.

13. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I think the comments about "cutting" are pretty relevant. At home, whatever sounds good to your ears, playing in a band, especially a 2 guitar band, you'll be turning those highs up (or not be heard). It depends on the amp and speakers, of course, but even at home, I typically run my Treble around 4 or 5.

14. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

Shoot, the treble knob is the only one I’m not running at 10! But I’m still dialing it at like 6-7.

Old Punker and Neptical like this.
  15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I always have the treble on 4, presence at 7, mids at 8, bass at 5... preamp volume set to taste...

16. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

lol, different strokes for different folks. I cringe at how muddy that would sound the same way you would cringe how bright my tone is. Heck just point your cabs backwards and put a blanket over them. :duel:

17. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Well-Known Member

Anymore, everything seems too bright to my ears, but I have some serious miles on them from a few different "loud" activities, music being only one. It doesn't matter what model of Marshall I'm using, the Treble and Presence eq are usually below 3. Even less in the past few years.

I'm now to point of wanting plexiglass shields in front of my cabs just to cut down on the frontal SPL blast and damaging hi freqs. I love my Marshall's but even Joe Bonnamassa gave up his Marshalls and Dumbles for Tweed combos. When I saw him live, he was still using plexi shields in front of his Marshalls. It sounded great to me, but exposure will catch up to a person after awhile.

To each his own.:agreed:

Old Punker, Sustainium and Neptical like this.
  18. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

100%

Maggot Brain and El Gringo like this.
  19. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Active Member

I keep my presence and treble knobs at around 1 because damn those JCM 800s are bright as hell.

Neptical likes this.
  20. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I keep my treble at 5 and I like my presence low. This is on a jubilee though and I am guessing if I was runnnig a 2203 at home I might want that treble to be much lower.

Neptical likes this.