All in the family - Jamming w/Wives & Others, do you?

Riffraff

Reaction score
While complimenting JParry335 for his Nashville performance with his wife in this thread https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/i-wonder-live-at-bobby’s-in-nashville.123759/ I mentioned that my wife is a singer too and we play together every now and then. Jim asked me to post a few songs so I started a new thread on the subject. Here are a couple that were captured via cell phone. We've been really busy for the last few months so it's been a while and she has let me know that on numerous occasions. :nono:

I really like dong my recording in Reaper and keep trying to get Liz to do a recording with me that way but she hates all of the techy stuff. She is more of a grab the acoustic and do a couple of songs sort of girl.

This Jewel song was done late one Saturday night spur of the moment. I had been drinking bourbon so there are some major clams in this. :rofl: I can't drink & play and it had also been a long time since I played this song so I didn't even attempt to finger pick it this time, especially since the capo is on the 7th fret which makes the frets very cramped and at that position the action on this guitar quite high. The odd crinkling and squeaking noises in the background was our dog Folly. She was desperately trying to turn the attention to her by jamming a crinkle toy in our laps while we were playing this. :lol: I think this was just before Christmas last year and our house was trashed so it was just an audio recording.

Liz recorded this with her cell phone by just setting it on the table so it's a bit of a dark recording. This Led Zeppelin song was really too low for Liz but she pulled it off great anyway. Afterwards she told me I should have used a capo because it was hard for her to get so low in parts. I didn't notice her struggling. I'm just a guitar guy, what do I know. :rolleyes:

I don't remember when we did this Miranda Lambert tune. It was just an audio file on my phone.

Last edited:

JParry335

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
While complimenting JParry335 for his Nashville performance with his wife in this thread https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/i-wonder-live-at-bobby’s-in-nashville.123759/ I mentioned that my wife is a singer too and we play together every now and then. Jim asked me to post a few songs so I started a new thread on the subject. Here are a couple that were captured via cell phone. We've been really busy for the last few months so it's been a while and she has let me know that on numerous occasions. :nono:

I really like dong my recording in Reaper and keep trying to get Liz to do a recording with me that way but she hates all of the techy stuff. She is more of a grab the acoustic and do a couple of songs sort of girl.

This Jewel song was done late one Saturday night spur of the moment. I had been drinking bourbon so there are some major clams in this. :rofl: I can't drink & play and it had also been a long time since I played this song so I didn't even attempt to finger pick it this time, especially since the capo is on the 7th fret which makes the frets very cramped and at that position the action on this guitar quite high. The odd crinkling and squeaking noises in the background was our dog Folly. She was desperately trying to turn the attention to her by jamming a crinkle toy in our laps while we were playing this. :lol: I think this was just before Christmas last year and our house was trashed so it was just an audio recording.

Liz recorded this with her cell phone by just setting it on the table so it's a bit of a dark recording. This Led Zeppelin song was really too low for Liz but she pulled it off great anyway. Afterwards she told me I should have used a capo because it was hard for her to get so low in parts. I didn't notice her struggling. I'm just a guitar guy, what do I know. :rolleyes:

I don't remember when we did this Miranda Lambert tune. It was just an audio file on my phone.

Fantastic job you two!! Nicely done by both of you. I think it’s great when couples perform together whether it’s a full blown production or a phone capture. The Doc and I celebrated our 38th anniversary Saturday night. We met while in the music biz, raised a family and worked day gigs while she pursued her education. Getting close to retiring and not too long ago started gigging a little for fun. Keep doing what you love to do.
You guys sound great and we look forward to hearing more.
Liz! You’ve got a great voice! Let Ron do his magic with Reaper and put something together now that you’ve tempted us with these tunes.
Bravo!
:h5:

Riffraff

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Jim. I will try to play something with Liz over the holiday break. It's been a while with all of the house repair work we have been doing to get that house on the market. We finally finished and got it listed a couple of days ago. Thankfully that's over. Now maybe we can fix up our own. It's been ignored and is now a disaster. :facepalm:

Last edited:

tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's nice RR.
Foolish Games is specially good.
Good singing there. There is substance or maturity in the voice.

Riffraff

Reaction score
That's nice RR.
Foolish Games is specially good.
Good singing there. There is substance or maturity in the voice.

She is really good. I've taken her to a few bars on Karaoke night to watch her blow minds and get standing ovations. She doesn't do the regular stuff you hear everyone sing. She sings songs I've never heard anyone even try before and nails them. Songs like Dixi Chicks Sin Wagon which is really fast & hard as hell to sing.

All in the family - Jamming w/Wives & Others, do you?
Yep. It's all I do.
With enough wives and daughters you can get these cool wolf sounds in your mix:

Little Red Rooster
https://www.dropbox.com/s/efnjftefop8pfnz/little red rooster.mp3?dl=0

LOL! That howling is crazy. :D Cool clip brother.

Last edited:

JParry335

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
She is really good. I've taken her to a few bars on Karaoke night to watch her blow minds and get standing ovations. She doesn't do the regular stuff you hear everyone sing. She sings songs I've never heard anyone even try before and nails them. Songs like Dixi Chicks Sin Wagon which fast & hard as hell to sing.

LOL! That howling is crazy. :D Cool clip brother.
Again, she sounds great and I have to say, you do a great job on that as well. Do you finger pick? Or play hybrid style?

Riffraff

Reaction score
Thanks brother. It depends on the song. That one sounds better finger picked but my Ovation tends to sound dark finger picked and since we were recording I decided to use a pick. I was also half in the bag and knew I would screw up more finger picking that. :facepalm: I prefer to play acoustics without a pick though.

We have a lot of acoustics in the house but most are cheap ones. When I taught Liz how to play I showed her a few cowboy chords & taught her to read a chord chart. Then I showed her the Ultimate Guitar website where she could look up the chords to any song she wanted. That's all I had to do. She got the fever bad and was playing & singing songs in a matter of a couple of days! I was kind of blown away. The fact that she was able to play & sing from chord charts in days was a little mind blowing to me. Her memory of melodies is amazing. I think that's a big part of why she sings so well.

After that she went on a guitar buying blitz and had to have anything she liked the looks of. It was like I was watching my own guitar experience only sped up 1000%. :lol: She finally found her #1 when she bought her Taylor GS Mini. That stopped the hunt so I guess that's where our guitar experiences differ. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All in the family jamming?

I would have posted this earlier if I were not so challenged by modern technology.

There is some mention of 'family' right there in the name of the song.

We Are Family: link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y73o2d8i3idostn/12 we are family.mp3?dl=0

I know - we are not a good enough band to be playing this.

Also, all posts from RR these days are good for the forum: so I want to reply to them.

Derek S

Reaction score
I jam with Dad every once in a blue moon...would love to get one of those recorded but never seem to be able to make that happen (he's pretty stubborn these days)

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Boy,the way Glenn Miller played.........."

Somewhere is a VHS tape of me trying to play with my Great Aunt (grandpa's sis on my dad's side) on piano and me on a National reso
But she was playin all these church chords and not hittin the 7ths ...it was fckn annoying ...She was a music teacher for 40 years !!!!

Back in the late 70s ,one of my mom's sisters had a juke joint in her basement .Her husband had a '63 oly strat and a 1x15 Univox amp down there. Aunt Lu used to sing while I played

My oldest brother Dan (9 yrs ahead of me) is a pretty badass longtime bass player .He auditioned for Montrose when Bill Church jumped ship wih Sam. We jammed together ONCE in 1990 . It could happen again ,although he might be a little too "high strappin" fusion oriented for me ....or I may be too "dumbed down" rock n roll for him ...although He's the one started me on Zeppelin and a Band o' Gypsies

So back in 1973 (I was 10) my brother Ric got a new cheap plywood acoustic for Xmas. My mom always made big breakfasts and my dad's Uncle Ruben knew that . So he shows up for breakfast Xmas day . After eats , he picked up my brother's guitar .He tuned it to what I now know as an open chord ,and proceeded to play some boucin ass John Lee Hooker style rhythm . Us boys sat there with our jaws on the floor . Of course , our Uncle's "cool factor" increased ten fold. A few years later ,when I was 17 we sat in my Grandma's living room, he was on the piano playing some slow rolllin' Sunnyland Slim sounding thing and I was playin slide .I had a tape of this until a fuel can turned over in the back of my truck and spilled on some tapes ........:( F*** !!!!

Eric'45

Reaction score
I jam with Dad every once in a blue moon...would love to get one of those recorded but never seem to be able to make that happen (he's pretty stubborn these days)
Same here :rolleyes:. On the plus side, my father has his Instruments currently stored at my place. I shurely take care of his Rickenbacker :agreed:

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My youngest stepdaughter, 16, is about 8 months into becoming a bass player. I think we're not far off from her and I being able to jam together. Obviously, we could try at any time, but her teacher, has her on a specific path and us jamming is "pretty soon."

No one else in my family is musical. So this will be a first for me, jamming with a family member.

Riffraff

Reaction score

Secretly record the audio with your cell phone. The grumpy old man don't need to know. We gotta preserve stuff like this for historical reasons. :naughty:

Riffraff

Reaction score
"Boy,the way Glenn Miller played.........."

Somewhere is a VHS tape of me trying to play with my Great Aunt (grandpa's sis on my dad's side) on piano and me on a National reso
But she was playin all these church chords and not hittin the 7ths ...it was fckn annoying ...She was a music teacher for 40 years !!!!

Back in the late 70s ,one of my mom's sisters had a juke joint in her basement .Her husband had a '63 oly strat and a 1x15 Univox amp down there. Aunt Lu used to sing while I played

My oldest brother Dan (9 yrs ahead of me) is a pretty badass longtime bass player .He auditioned for Montrose when Bill Church jumped ship wih Sam. We jammed together ONCE in 1990 . It could happen again ,although he might be a little too "high strappin" fusion oriented for me ....or I may be too "dumbed down" rock n roll for him ...although He's the one started me on Zeppelin and a Band o' Gypsies

So back in 1973 (I was 10) my brother Ric got a new cheap plywood acoustic for Xmas. My mom always made big breakfasts and my dad's Uncle Ruben knew that . So he shows up for breakfast Xmas day . After eats , he picked up my brother's guitar .He tuned it to what I now know as an open chord ,and proceeded to play some boucin ass John Lee Hooker style rhythm . Us boys sat there with our jaws on the floor . Of course , our Uncle's "cool factor" increased ten fold. A few years later ,when I was 17 we sat in my Grandma's living room, he was on the piano playing some slow rolllin' Sunnyland Slim sounding thing and I was playin slide .I had a tape of this until a fuel can turned over in the back of my truck and spilled on some tapes ........:( F*** !!!!

:rofl: To your Great Aunt not hittin the 7ths.
It must have been so cool to have all of those those family musical influences so early in life. Great post my friend. :dude:

Riffraff

Reaction score
Same here :rolleyes:. On the plus side, my father has his Instruments currently stored at my place. I shurely take care of his Rickenbacker :agreed:

I'd love to have a Rick layin about. :agreed:

My youngest stepdaughter, 16, is about 8 months into becoming a bass player. I think we're not far off from her and I being able to jam together. Obviously, we could try at any time, but her teacher, has her on a specific path and us jamming is "pretty soon."

No one else in my family is musical. So this will be a first for me, jamming with a family member.

Nice job planting the seed. I'm so glad I started young. Music has been the one constant in my life, always there to get me through life's struggles. :cheers:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rofl: To your Great Aunt not hittin the 7ths.

Oh man ,it made me cringe
She had a B-3 on one side of he living room and a piano on the other . Now it's funny because in about 1978 she and my grandma had a "jam" and they were hittin it RIGHT ....maybe my grandma was hittin the 7ths and prompted my Aunt to get it right

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

Dude , you are kidding me she sounds great on “Thank You” I could only imagine a good Mic , pre amped with reverb. I think she is singing lower than plant which is cool .
You are a blessed man !

Riffraff

Reaction score
I thought she sounded good too but that wasn't a serious recording. It was a spur of the moment bad cell phone recording. She just put it down on the table with the recorder running facing the ceiling and it was next to an electric space heater. That's what that hissing noise is, the fan blowing in the heater. :lol:

She just sang it to match the key I was playing it in. I didn't bother to put a capo on so it was lower than normal.

Latest posts