Alec Baldwin..

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Marshall Stack, Dec 5, 2021.

1. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

No. None whatsoever! And there's supposed to be a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to that crap..Like I said before, that is something that would get one ejected from a set PRONTO. And probably get them permanently blacklisted as well.

The fact there was live rounds on that set, along with the fact that a lot of the crew walked off due to safety concerns, all indicate there was something VERY WRONG going on there..Production should have been shut down until things were fixed.

I would suspect incompetence and a lack of patience, along with a "Let's get this thing done!" attitude on someone's part who was in charge of things..Wasn't Baldwin himself involved with the production team?

Granted, I wasn't there..But given Baldwin's ego and inflated sense of self-importance, along with his temper tantrums and intolerant attitude, I would guess that lot of the problems on that set could quite likely be traced back to him.

When I was working on one of the projects I did last summer, I overheard some of the crew talking about going down to N.M. to work on that set, and when I heard Baldwin was involved, I kept my thoughts and opinions to myself but at the same time was thinking "No way in HELL would I work on anything Alec Balwin is involved with!"

I'm very glad now I didn't.

I've had to work with azzholes in various jobs throughout my life, but that was only because I took the jobs before I knew there was azzholes working there.

However, if one takes a job in which they already know that there's one of the crown princes of azzholes working there..Well, that's just stupidity (or desperation) on their part! :shrug:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    StrummerJoe and Marshall Stack like this.
  2. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't know if the question is valid since Alec sure thought so when
    he shot and murdered that woman in cold blood anyway.

Alec is a famous murderer. He shoots and kills people with guns.

3. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

I had watched Combat! where they had commentary after the episode. I remember that they said that when they showed bullets tearing into a building or whatever that the special effects people would put small charges there camouflaged and then set them off when it was time to show bullet strikes. They said they was concerns on the set about safety but they didn't have any problems. Unfortunately Vic Morrow was killed on a movie set filming The Twilight Zone.

Like you said, CGI takes care of that stuff now.

DaDoc likes this.
  4. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Somebody aimed a loaded helicopter at Morrow.

5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

How long will it be before someone photoshops Baldwin into this classic?

6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

7. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

This guy is a phuckwad at best, too bad he wasn't pointing the barrel at his head in stead some other poor victoms!

StrummerJoe likes this.
  8. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

In a way, he kind of did. I'm not sure how the criminal trial will go, but you can bet the civil suits will rip him to shreds. I think that's why he did that interview-to try to influence public opinion.

9. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

I will say this..I read some angry social media posts he did in which he was talking smack about shooting people he didn't like.

It's likely those have been deleted in the wake of this incident, but I'm sure the prosecution will exploit it..That is, if he even goes to trial.

StrummerJoe likes this.
  10. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

That exactly why he did it! He's in full-on damage control mode right now.

11. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Are prop guns supposed to have real firing pins?

12. Frodebro

I don't think it will help him. If anything, it's making things worse.

StrummerJoe likes this.
  13. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

VERY good demonstration on how the single action works!

In all fairness, there IS a chance that the gun could have been malfunctioning or messed with in some way, like the guy in the video said.

But the bottom line is, there was live ammo on the set and in that gun, and that lady died because of it..No excuse or rationalization is gonna change that!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  14. Frodebro

You can't ignite the primer in a blank without a firing pin. But the issue isn't the gun-it's the live ammo that was on the set.

15. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

A blank can be just as dangerous as a live round at close quarters..But yes, the issue is the live ammo, rather than the gun itself.

Blaming the gun is the typical rationale of gun-haters.

16. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i dont know. i dont think they use the actual sound of the gun going off but dub
    a sound in its place these days. the real recorded sound might be there for the
    exact placement for the overdub effect. again i dont know for sure.

StrummerJoe and DaDoc like this.
  17. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I still think any criminal charges are unlikely. Or at least they will be minor charges.
    Does anyone know how the state treats accidental shootings?

Here's a recent article about one accidental murder in NM that resulted in no charges-
    https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/ne...forest-sheriffs-office-washington/7776372002/
    Rust being a workplace accident is a bit different of course but it's still an accident.

I still think all accidental shootings should carry a penalty but I suppose it may be hard to get a conviction if a jury is sympathetic. If you have shown yourself to be incapable of owning a gun you should at least lose the right (at least for some time). Society seems to generally not take accidental shootings very seriously although I recall a case here in Michigan where a hunter shot onto private property and killed someone; resulted in charges/conviction.

Really had not followed the Baldwin case until this thread. I gather the producer had some problems with shootings in the past. And the armorer evidently had a bit of a checkered past and had given a child actor a gun in a previous movie that raised concern as she had loaded on the ground in the dirt.
    She also reportedly said she didn't really check the Baldwin gun "too much" because it had been in a safe??!!? Too busy with selfies?[​IMG]

All three of these people deserve some share of the blame unless the investigation does turn up sabotage. Which seems unlikely as the most likely cause is stupid human error.
    I think attorneys like to float the "sabotage" angle early so they have a possible avenue of defense if there are charges.
    Still a terrible tragedy for everyone though!

18. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

He has a rep for being a major hot head at times, that certainly won't help his case.

19. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Sometimes they still use blanks, but the current trend is CGI.

The firing pin on the hammer could be removed, but it would be glaringly obvious to anyone watching that it's incapable of firing, which could render the scene as bogus. And when it comes to period westerns there's plenty of movie-goers who are sticklers for "authenticity".

A pet peeve of mine for years now is when they use a cap and ball revolver and try to pass it off as a cartridge gun..That's something they did a lot in the old spaghetti westerns. When cartridge guns came on the scene a lot of the old cap and balls were converted to use cartridges..Otherwise with those pistols one had to re-load each cylinder with powder and a round ball, then cap it. Sometimes they would carry extra loaded cylinders, and swap them out as they emptied them..In the movie "Pale Rider" there's a scene in which Eastwood's character is walking down the street swapping out cylinders on his pistola without looking down..He did a darned good job in that scene!

Something a lot of people might not know is that Wild Bill Hickok used cap and ball pistols throughout his life, he preferred them to cartridge guns apparently..He would shoot, clean, and re-load them every day. He also never used holsters, he wore a waist sash and carried his pistols stuck down in the sash..Anyhoo, I'm getting off topic here.

Again, the issue here is NOT about guns or firing pins..It's that someone brought live ammo to the set, and for whatever reason it wasn't taken care of right away. If there had been no live ammo there, this tragedy wouldn't have happened, and if Baldwin had checked the gun it wouldn't have happened..Bottom line!

Many mistakes were made that ANY single one of would have been grounds for stopping production until things were fixed!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  20. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that would even be deemed relevant to the case. If the gun was checked twice and he was told it was safe he does not seem liable on the surface...except that he is executive producer which means he hired the idiots that didn’t verify the gun was loaded.
    Assuming no sabotage is found will the armorer ever find work in the movies again?
    Don’t think I’d want to work around her. lol

ricksdisconnected likes this.