Agile guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Felipfrom212, May 1, 2014.

1. Chainsaw Omega

Chainsaw Omega New Member

Figured I'd throw my two cents in here.

Someone had a Tobaccoburst 2000 on craigslist a month or so ago for $100, so i figured why not? The guy I bought it from put a higher nut on it because he used it as a slide guitar. The finish was immaculate. It looked like he had never even touched it. After replacing the nut, stringing it to where I like it(B standard), and giving it a proper setup, I plugged it in and gave it a go. I've done a feel comparison to a couple guitars, including an Edwards Custom, a couple Electra LP Customs, and a full comparison to a Epi LP Custom and a Gibson Flying V. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Gibson LP at the time, so wasn't able to do the "true" comparison I guess.

In terms of feel, the neck is a bit thicker than the Edwards, which is pretty comparable to most high-end LTD and ESP guitars I've played for a point of reference. Weight would be on par with the Edwards, and heavier than the Electras, AKA it's ****ing heavy. Probably close to my Rickenbacker 4003. There were no jagged ended frets to be had. A couple imperfections with the binding, but nothing you would see unless you were actually looking for imperfections. The finish is beautiful. I could definitely see it being too high-gloss for people used to American paint jobs, but I think its great, and not at all distracting or "low class" looking. Overall, feels as good as any of the well-respected Japanese copies that I have touched. Also, feels better than the Epi Custom my brother has, hands down.

For sound, it left a bit to be desired. I would say the stock pickups in the 2000's are almost indistinguishable from the Epiphone 57 copies in the Custom I played. A bit brittle and tinny. last week, I put a 498T in the bridge spot, and now it sounds absolutely spot-on Gibson. I would say it is a bit brighter sounding than my Flying V, probably due to the paint and the maple top, as the V is a faded model that is just a stained mahogany body. They are definitely in the same class now tone-wise though.

I really wish I had a Gibson LP to compare it to, as from what I have experienced, it could be on par with a Standard, given that you upgrade the pickup, which in't a huge deal by any means, as I got a 498T for $50.

Would I buy another one? Yes, absolutely. Would I instead go for a 3000 series instead of the 2000? Maybe. I have a pretty strong affinity for the 498T, so even with the better pickups on the 3000, I'd replace it anyway. this leaves the benefit of an Ebony fretboard and Abalone inlays. The ebony looks nice, but I personally think Abalone looks terrible, so if I could find one without it, which is seems they do make every so often, I would probably try it, because at least I know the build quality of the 2000's are good.

The million dollar question is would I buy it over a Gibson? Depends. Currently, I am not the most financially stable, so even a used LP Standard is out of the budget. There are Gibson LP Studios that show up around me for $500-$600 frequently, and if I had the money, I would probably take that over an Agile, but mostly because a Gibson LP is something I've always wanted to own.

2. JSJ900

JSJ900 Well-Known Member

I've got an Agile Dauntless. Replaced the pups. It's great. I'd buy another, probably go for a 3000 over a 2000.

3. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

My ex-boss ordered one once and had it delivered to the office. We opened it up and pulled it out and he was like, OMG!! He handed it to me and I almost lost my balance. It was the heaviest guitar either of us had ever held, by far. It was sent back before lunch.

4. Mr Jones

Mr Jones New Member

5. Chainsaw Omega

You do realize you said the exact same thing 5 posts ago?

Also, REALLY? The difference in the 9.7 lbs of a Gibson Les Paul(on average) and the 12 lbs you claimed 5 posts up(which i would say is a liberal estimate) is not that much. If a kilo is back-breakingly heavy to you, I would suggest never leaving your house.

6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Very well then, I'll tell you what; you play the 12 lb Agile and I'll take the 9.7 lb Gibson and we'll all be happy-happy-happy. :)

How's that sound?

blues_n_cues likes this.
  7. Chainsaw Omega

Sounds great, and when I get another Gibson, I'll play that for some thing and the Agile for other things.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  8. YetiVanMarshall

YetiVanMarshall Member

I bout a SAM ASH 2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's tribute leftover for 649.00 on Saturday and returned it on Sunday. Restrung the studio and did a fret treatment. I did a side by side comparison with my 10y.o Agile 2000 and my Agile just sounded fuller and plays faster and smoother, better sustain. My wife also greed the Agile sounds much better. How can my used Korean agile which paid 175.00 used sound better than a new Gibson with burstbucker 1 and 2 sound better? Ialso tried 3 2014 Les Paul standards and they are no better sounding or playing than the Agile. How is this possible? I've been playing for 47 years and I know tone well.

9. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Well-Known Member VIP Member

10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

It sure is pretty and I always thought about trying one myself, but I got thinking why would I pay $200 for a cheap but "pretty" knock off when I already have quality guitars. Am I really gonna opt to play the "pretty" Agile over any of my other good guitars that feel and sound great? If you have a spare $200 I suggest investing it in a good pedal or some electronic upgrades on one of your existing guitars or amps.

If youre starting from zero and on a tight budget then I can understand buying one, and theres nothing wrong with that, or a gigging musician that doesnt want to bring out the expensive stuff. Its your move Blues...

11. blues_n_cues

I just like the top but I've seen just as good on Epi's & that Agile is $495.
    then there's that god awful headstock & lower horn....

meh,I'm still looking to build this ('58 spec) one eventually-
    [​IMG]

pedecamp likes this.
  12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I think you'd be better off.

13. RiverRatt

RiverRatt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Blues, if you're planning to change the pickups you can get basically the same guitar in the AL-2000 for $200 less. The "downgrades" are single-ply binding, a rosewood fretboard with MOP inlays, and the cheaper pickups. If you get it and don't like it, you can easily return it.

I was skeptical until I actually had one in-hand. I had to sell off my high-end guitars and I've been looking for an affordable LP style guitar that I could bond with. I've tried MIK Epiphones and even a LP Studio and the Agile is the one I really liked. I''ve been playing since I was 11 (38 years) and I don't care for cheap-feeling guitars... lord knows I've owned enough of them, and the AL-3000 I own feels like a quality hand-crafted instrument.

[​IMG]
    Agile AL-2000 HSBF Flame Wide

blues_n_cues likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

River's correct. All the Agile-branded guitars are made in the same Korean plant, just with different quality and branded electronics and hardware.

15. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

16. RiverRatt

And what are you basing this insightful post on? Your experience with Agile guitars or your experience with turds? :cool:

17. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I had these..............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before Rondo moved from Union, NJ, they had a fire sale where they sold off everything they could.
    I got these for about 1/3 of the cost.
    Anyone could have bought these for a steal too.
    I remember those Strat and Tele wannabees were about $59.00each.
    They'll get the job done but they weren't anything special.
    IMO, the Valkyre was the best of the bunch but it went with the rest of them.
    The polishing of the turds was sarcasm.
    Didn't mean to offend.
    Sorry.

I sold all of them.

18. RiverRatt

All tongue-in-cheek, no offense intended or taken. I just couldn't resist taking a pot shot. :wave:

I've been bottom feeding for guitars for awhile now. I like my Agile AL-3000 a lot but I know they aren't for everyone. I'm just putting my experience with mine out there to offset some of the negativism. I think the quality is at least as good as any other MIK guitars I've owned/played.

19. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I always thought you wanted a nice heavy dense body. I actually thought thats what made the LP shape so favorable was the big thick chunk of wood over the slightly smaller strat. I think i would of given it more time then that.

I had a Dean Vendetta and it was the lightest guitar ive ever owned my friends didnt even think it was real wood they thought it was a foam core fiberglass or something like a surf board. Played like dog poo. No sustain at all it was very flat and always sounded like the strings were old. You want a light guitar get one of those.

20. blues_n_cues

nah,I want to do a "historic" build but w/ a Floyd on it. contradictory & controversial,that's how I roll.:lol: