Affordable tube amp

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by superhooperduty55, Jan 4, 2021.

1. superhooperduty55

superhooperduty55 New Member

i bought a MG30FX, last week, New Years Eve. Found it did what I thought were some strange things, like a fair bit of volume from speaker when gain was up about 1/10th of the way, both master volume and volume were down as far as they would go, took it base , Long & McQuade had a employee test it , I explained what was happening, but it worked fine for them, so I said I’d give it another try. Tried it again today , with gain set as before, master volume less than 1/2 way and volume set down as far has it would go, I got quite a bit of sound from speaker, I then turned up the volume, heard a clicking noise again turned volume down a far as it would go, no sound this time. Turned amp off, back on a same thing, sound from amp with volume off.
    Going to take it back, see if I can get it exchanged for a different model.
    Question do they make decent tube amp at a decent price, I jam jam at home, no playing for anyone else.
    Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  2. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Well-Known Member

What's "affordable" to you? Peavey Classic 30's are super loud and you can snatch them up for $200 to $300 used all day long. I bought mine for $150 from a friend.

3. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

Try the master volume at zero, gain at 5, channel volume at 5 (both about noon).
    Strum a chord and slowly turn up the master till you get a volume you like.
    Cranking the master to half way and sending it no signal might be causing your "noise".

4. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

DSL...

If you like more '70s, try an Origin...

The DSL will get you into early Metal territory no problem. It can do some semi-less distorted stuff too, but, it excels at the time around 1980 +/-. The Origin will get you that more classic tone.

They make both in different wattages. The different watt will sound different. You might like one over the other. But, the overall tone from each line will be there, throughout the range.

Lower watt will be cheaper.

1 watt will be a lot louder than most think. 5 watts will get plenty loud for home use, 20 will get you into band territory & 50-100 will be gigging stuff...

The Origin, relies on volume, so, if you go that route, you might think conservatively w/ power, so you can crank it. Warning, like I said about 1 watt being loud, 20 watts, will have your wife kick you out of the main house... :)... :wave:

The DSL, you can turn them down (even the 100 watt) & they'll sound decent enough to play, even at whispers.

W/ the Origin, you can always run a pedal up front to give it more gain...

Anyway, either of these can be had under $500, if you shop right.

Depending on your budget, there's quite a few more options moving up to the $1200-1300 range...

scozz, jmp45, tomsvintage and 5 others like this.
  5. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

Volume no issue?... 'Origin' -- all day.
    Need a master volume... 'DSL' -- will give you the goods.

6. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

DSL1CR or DSL5CR. Try them both, pick the one you like better, and never look back again.

wakjob, SkyMonkey, Neptical and 2 others like this.
  7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I am with wackjob, and DOD but I am biased in this, because I have both, and they both get the job done.
    Cheers ...
    And
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Mitch

jmp45, Dogs of Doom and wakjob like this.
  8. Neptical

Neptical Well-Known Member

DSL50 or DSL100. Tones for days, very versatile. Own and love them both just as much as my JCM 900 SL-X 2500. Tighter, more refined even. Nab one while you can. I have a feeling these amps aren't going to be around at these prices for too, too much longer.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. superhooperduty55

10. superhooperduty55

Sorry I’m going to clarify my post. I do hear a lot of hissing noise, but what i’m Concerned about is, that with channel volume set as low as it will go, I get lots of guitar sound from the unit and it’s not consistent, one time with channel volume set down , no guitar sound, next time it has plenty of guitar sound, sorry i’m Not able to explain it more clearly.
    Thanks

11. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to quote my self because I think you may have skipped over it.

Turn the channel volume up and the master down.
    Tweek the channel volume/gain to taste.
    Control the output with the master.
    Report back with results.

12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

You are still likely ultimately better with a tube amp. Whats the budget? Try a DSL20 maybe or even the 5 watter. What style do you play?

13. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

The best bang for the buck is the Origin 50. 50 watts of pure valve tone, with 50, 10, and ~5 watt modes. If there isn't enough gain for you in the preamp stage just put an EHX Hot Tubes (valve version) on the front end.

Mitchell Pearrow and K2JLX like this.
  14. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

this.

15. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Haven't tried the Origin 50. Had the Origin 20h. Operative word here is Had. The 20 didn't ring my bell at all. Was looking for a smaller version of the Jtm45. The Origin (billed as a mini 1959) may well hit that mark. I've never had a 1959. And if the Origin is any indication, I don't need one. Have played a few DSL's supplied as backline. Wasn't impressed with these either. Then again I tend to have my own preferences. I think the term affordable tube amp. Is an oxymoron. Like Jumbo Shrimp. Save your ducketts. And get one that sounds good to you.

Jethro Rocker and tce63 like this.
  16. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

I'm with @dro - save your money and keep looking. I tried to cheap my way - excuse me budget my way - in to tube amps. I also thought I could get the classic Marshall sound from Fender style amps [the internet promised me!?!]. Utter fail to my ears and I wasted $$$ and more importantly time chasing my tail. Stopped looking at price tags and started listening.

The biggest aid was finding other amp guys who could answer questions about EQ and tweaking for my best sound. They had lots of amps to demo and I learned a bit about guitar playing too.

Another shortcut was to look at what the bands were using to generate the tones I wanted. That narrowed the search significantly.

Russ

Mitchell Pearrow and dro like this.
  17. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

The Origins should not be compared to a 1959. Sure, the 1959's patchable Lead and Bass inputs have been somewhat morphed into the Origin's tilt control, but the 1959 shipped with 5881 power valves and a GZ34 valve rectifier while the Origins use EL34s and a solid state rectifier.

Still, the Origin, at least the 50, is very versatile. Its key is properly dialing in the EQ and Tilt controls for tone, and the Gain and Master controls for dirt. It can go from Fendery clean to heavy distortion, but I run mine clean with an EHX English MUFF'N (Plexi gain stage and tone stack) on the front end for distortion as needed. Also, a guitar's pickups have a big role with this amp. I would not buy the Origin for single coils, but it really sings with humbuckers.

A JTM45 2245 (Made in England) sells for $2,600 while the ORI50H (Made in Vietnam) goes for $500, or $10 per watt. You'd be hard pressed to find a better deal in a good entry level valve amp. I think the JTM45 would be a better investment in the long term, but at the moment the ORI50H is holding its resale value nicely.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  18. donwagar

donwagar Active Member

L&M are usually really good about bringing it back. It won't cost that much more to get into the low wattage DSL or Origin, take a test drive of them first.

Also, check their Gear Hunter for a good used one in your price range. But remember if you find one in a different store, you have to pay the shipping. Bonus to used gear from L&M is you can put their warranty on it.

19. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Also what musical styles does OP play? They might have a good Traynor, maybe a used YCS50 or such. There is a good versatile tube amp although not Marshall.

20. Headache

Headache Well-Known Member

Old 100w peaveys,like the supreme, or even valveking.... the Marshall DSL, also the bugera 333xl is a decent, cheap copy of the JSX.

If you hunt them you can find a great deal, be ready to spend 100 bucks on new tubes though.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021