>

AFD100 v. Ceriatone AFD #35

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by 5150evh, May 10, 2021.

1. 5150evh

5150evh Member

Hey Guys!

So I have been trying to get my hands on an AFD100 for some time now and they are incredibly hard to get a hold of (for obvious reasons).

So recently somebody posted a couple of clips of the Ceriatone AFD #35 in action (see below) And well, I’m pretty impressed with the way that it sounds, especially through a reactive load box like the Captor X.

I've heard about Ceriatone for several years now, but I never seriously considered buying one of their amps, until now, with how difficult it’s been to get a hold of an AFD100.

So, does anybody own one of these amps here? I would absolutely love your feedback and experience. Thanks!

Ceriatone AFD

Ceriatone #34 Mod

2. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

I dont think that is the ceriatone AFD amp. I think it is their Yeti that someone is eq'ing to sound AFDish. I have a ceriatone chupa and a marshall AFD100. The chupa is brighter than the yeti, so would have a better change at being closer and I would just say no. The chupa has its own thing going on. What makes the marshall AFD so good is that it is incredible bright, but not thin. normally one does NOT go without the other. I think ceriatone makes great amps, but would want to hear Nik's take on the AFD, not someone eq'ing a different amp to try to get the tone. I have a ton of marshalls, and the AFD100 truly is its own animal and sounds every bit as good as you think.

5150evh and JacksonCharvelAddict like this.
  3. 5150evh

5150evh Member

Thank you very much for the reply! Nice catch, you’re 100% correct I guess that is not the AFD but the Yeti eq’d to sound like the AFD. Maybe I should learn to read

And you’re spot on, I do feel like the AFD100 is something special, and I do love the way that it sounds. I just can’t seem to find one for sale anywhere.

4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I think this is the one you want,
    http://www.ceriatone.com/hot-rodded-plexi-afd-35-100/

I too have a Chupacabra and a 2202 combo, both are outstanding and the best amp I’ve ever played in each field. Very well made stuff and well worth a try. However be prepared to wait for it, maybe 15-20 weeks. When you get it you’ll know why you waited.

5. What?

What? Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, the character of the amp sounds really good. But something is up with the recording. What's with the crazy noise and all the compression? And the recording sounds distant in a weird way, not like a good reverb sort of way, but it's just not up front and present. I would like to hear the amp miked up through a real cab, dry. This is a Yeti with an AFD mod, or something else?

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  6. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Read the description McFly (to self). It's just a Yeti.

7. bigbadorange

bigbadorange Well-Known Member

Most of today's youtube videos are using cab sims of one sort or another. So be carefull that they are actually using a cab and a mic. I have no problems with modelers and frequently use them, but I am highly irritated by the amp reviews that use cab sims. ESPECIALLY the modeler comparisons to real iron. "Hey look they sound the same! I took away the speakers, the cab, the mics, the room, the interaction of the amp and the speaker cabinet and they sound the same!" To me its like taking a Ferrari Body and sticking it on a Toyota Camry running chassis, and then comparing that to a toyota camry. "They are the same!"

fitz288 likes this.
  8. JP2036

JP2036 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The SIR amps that Frank Levi reworked [not Caswell] while working @ SIR which the AFD sessions were recorded with are nothing like the Marshall AFD project Mr. Alverez designed or anything Nick makes but to each their own.
    Frank was very disappointed Marshall never asked him to participate or even acknowledged his contributions.
    The Marshall AFD project was not historically accurate.

Last edited: May 11, 2021