AFD100, JTM 45, 1987x, 1959slp. Which is right for me?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Redstone, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have decided to get a new amp, the problem is I don't know what to get or even what some of these amps sound like. I have a general idea from Youtube videos and stuff, but nothing solid. I have a lot of questions so I am just going to list them out. I will add more if I think of any. Also I mainly play at home so I will need an attenuator. I will be going to have a look at an AFD100, JTM45 and a few vintage amps (1972 JMP 50 and a 1980 2203(It dowsnt say JCM 800 or JMP on it)). I am mainly into the kind of AC/DC sound but I sometimes change it up and add some extra gain (I have a pedal that does the job). I have played a JTM 45 before but only at low levels in the store. It didn't break up at all. They let me turn it up to about 7 or 8 for a few minutes and it was way too loud for me.

1) What is the difference in sound of the JTM 45 and the 1987x?

2) What is the difference in sound of 1987x and the 1959slp?

3) If I plug in to the low sensitivity input with a humbucker will I get a more plexi sound with less gain on an AFD100?

4) Would A THD hotplade bring any of the amps I listed above to a bedroom volume (e.g. A bit louder that a cell phone ringing or maybe a bit louder)

Thanks for the help guys.:headbanger:

2. Marshallmaniac

Marshallmaniac Well-Known Member

Hey man!

1. Difference is wattage and the 45 has a tube rectifier which is saggier than it's solid state counterpart. If you're looking more modern tones then the SS rectifier is more suited to your tastes because they stay tighter. The rise time between SS and tube rectifiers is about 20x faster than tube if you look at the actual signal from a pluck of the string to full power.

2. Bugger all. You don't need a 100w, especially at home thats for sure!! Some say the 100w is 'bassier' than the 50 but I believe that to be attributed to the larger transformer and louder volume.

3 Yep. But I wouldn't use it personally, many do though, it just wears out your power tubes faster than some other methods. I can share a little secret with you though that will allow cranked tone at bedroom volumes if you PM me. I don't want to share it here yet as I'm considering selling them.

3. Redstone

So is the JTM 45 or the 1987x closer to the AC/DC plexi tone? Thanks for the advice :D

4. Marshallmaniac

Whoooo, good question! :D I prefer the 1987x for AC/DC becasue it feels 'tighter' but the 45 is just fine and if I was playing in an Accadacca tribute band the 45 would be great. But for versatility it's gotta be the 87 for me.

What other bands do you like and what styles of music do you play?

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

If your primary duty is bedroom-rocker, I'd get a class 5 or one of the 50th Anni 1 watters.

If you don't have a problem with pedals or multis, I'd run a multi-effect through a Class 5 & call it a day.

6. Redstone

Guns n Roses, The Drills, Metallica, Thin Lizzy, Rory Gallagher, Dire Straits, Bob Dylan. To be honest I justen to just a few songs from a LOT of bands, but I listen to a lot of songs by Guns n Roses and Accadacca. I have been leaning towards the 1987x the past few days as I research them. I cant find any 1987x's in any stores in my country. There is a JTM 45 in the store that I'm am going ot soon and they have one of those Hotplate Attenuators in stock so I might have a try of it with that.

7. Redstone

To be honest, I am not much of a pedal guy. I have gone through about 10 different pedals trying to find one that is right for me and even still I prefer the natural sound of my amp. I mainly use a Digitech Bad Monkey got a bit of a gain boost, other than that I have a Boss ME-50 which I basically just use as a looper. but honestly I mainly just play straight Guitar-Amp. Those 1 watter amps are quite expensive in my country. I was considering getting the JMP and JCM 1 but they are more expensive that most of the amps I am looking at. Thanks for your help :)

8. Marshallmaniac

The 87x will suit all of those bands. Although you'll just need a good overdrive such as the SD-1 to run through it for heavier stuff.
    Let me know if you do get one and I'll tell ya how to run the attenuator, it won't cost you much at all, I'm still a bit iffy If I want to let the cat out of the bag just yet, sorrry man! :( The 87x cleans are beautiful, too! I think you can get a SS rectifier adaptor for the 45 too, just look into that becasue tey're great amps too and extremely similar to the 87x if you can't get one.

9. Redstone

I am going to have a play of the amps in the store and then decide. I will probably end up getting the 1987x though. The only thing that is stopping me from just going ahead and buying it now is the EPA on the AFD100. Don't worry about about the cat lol. It will be going straight from the bag into a locked safe with no key, but hey, it is your secret and I know it is almost impossible to trust anybody on the internet these days, so it is your decision. Thanks for all the help

10. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

The EPA on the AFD is worth it's weight in gold =)

CaptainZero and pavs like this.
  11. Redstone

I have heard a lot of good and some bad about it. I think it is a GREAT idea and should be on all amps.

12. Redstone

Another Question I have is, is a new 1987x similar to a 1972 JMP 50?

13. Marshallmaniac

Yea man, they're pretty similar is terms of sound, except the master volumes on the later JMP's are ther main difference. I really do love those things though but both are incredible amps. Oh (EDIT) I didn't see the '72' before. The plexi reissue IS actually based on the 72 metal panel JMP Marshall, except they placed a plexi cover plate on front and back and called it a plexi, then put it in the special small box. They are based on the 72 circuit that had slightly more gain and treble (mainly due to the high treble cap as used in germanium treble boosters at the time) Some remove it completely or use a different value but I'd never do that. Many say it's too bland without. Either way, the more you turn up the high treb volume the less it is in effect so if you're cranking the preamp (which you will be ;) then you needn't worry with this. And for clean it really shimmers!

14. Marshallmaniac

Ahhh feck it, I'm not going to try and make these, there are other people and theres too little coin in it to even bother.
    See the comments here in regard to 'power tube distortion' and the simple volume box that achieves the same thing through non MV amps. Not much point using them in MV's but KILLER in these old girls. Enjoy :slash:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsG09KDRlqE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsG09KDRlqE[/ame]

dptone5 likes this.
  15. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Great tone.....love the crunch of the speakers too. That's why the greenbacks and scumbacks compliment the Plexi style amps so well!

Marshallmaniac likes this.
  16. Redstone

Does anyone know of any YJM100s in Ireland? I can't find any for sale. The only place I know near Ireland is Andertons in Guildford UK and they are 1515Pounds or about 1900 euro which is crazy money. I found a sold one which sold for 1450 euro. I know in the US that they go up to about 3000 dollars. I would prefer to buy it new so I can have a warranty so My local music store will give me free tubes and stuff like that.

17. dudu

dudu Active Member

(Un)fortunately, they don't go that high. More like $1,700. It's a shame that
    a product made in the UK is so much more expensive in the UK than in the US.

18. rjtm

rjtm New Member

The yjm would get you all of those tones easily without the use of any pedals and at a nice bedroom volume. If you are only using the amp for bedroon playing and no gigging or cranking at all, the jtm, 87x, and jcm 800/jmp is very impractical. All of those will need to be very loud to get a nice crunch sound. Also, a class 5 or anniversary amps seem like awesome practice amps, and the jmp 1 and jcm 1 have built in boosts so you will not use pedals. The YJM might just be too powerful for you if you are playing at low volumes, but if you gig or play loud or jam, it would do the things you asked for. Same with the AFD

19. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

The EPA is awesome on the AFD, and I'm sure on the YJM too. Works perfect.

20. mr.brownstone

mr.brownstone New Member

From those u mentioned I just have experience with the AFD100. And for what you play u can't get much better.

It nails perfectly vintage hard rock tones.

You have also the Vintage Modern which is great too. But sounds a little bit different.