Advice on Marshall Amp JTM-45 (Vintage?)

gsnake

Reaction score
hi guys,

I own a Solid State amplifier (Boss) and always wanted to have a Marshall tube one. So, someone I know sells his mint condition 1989 Marshall JTM-45. I am wondering if this amp would be a good one for a beginner player. I play classic rock mostly, from Beatles, LZ, AC/DC and such. As there is no overdrive I am guessing I would need to get a bunch of pedals to have OD?
This amp is a reissue one but it is kind of vintage as it is from 1989 and in pristine condition! Does it matter it is 1989 vs 2022?

Attachments

• marshall_jtm45.jpg
    marshall_jtm45.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 19

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
This type of amp has plenty of grit and grind for the style of music you are talking about but you do have to turn them up. They are too loud for home use without an attenuator. They do sound great with a boost or overdrive for more modern sounding stuff.

I never played the Marshall JTM45 but have two kits. The older Marshall reissue has EL34 tubes I think, the newer ones (and many kits) use kt66 tubes. I’m not sure what effect that has on the tone or overall volume. I have a feeling that the el34 version might be a little louder.

V-man

Reaction score
It would be a good amp for a beginner player in that you have “from day one” acquired one of the most legendary Marshall tones for much of what you love playing and (unless stupid) you have an amp worth keeping from your continued improvement throughout the days that you continue to play.

It would not be a good amp for a beginner who is uncertain whether guitar is more than a passing interest, or one who is not willing to do more than the bare minimum for supplementing and maintaining gear. The supplemental requirement would be to get a proper load box or attenuator to control the volume for your purposes. The Maintenance requirement (other than 15 min worth of learning operations) is replacing tubes and capacitors as necessary over the years/decades (which can be done by your tech).

GregM

Reaction score
Advice ? Umm buy it !!! You most likely won't get the chance ever again !

gsnake

Reaction score
Advice ? Umm buy it !!! You most likely won't get the chance ever again !
thanks all!
- which attenuator would you recommend for this amp?
- does 1989 year makes it more desirable (and expensive). the price is about 1000 dollars
- one concern I have I noticed the fuse is not 3 Amp but 15! Not sure if this was an ignorance or there is an issue

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
You should be concerned about a 15A fuse. Did the seller tell you they put a 15A fuse in it? Did the seller say why?

I would guess the seller was having problems blowing the proper rated fuse, then put a stronger fuse in instead of getting it serviced, which isn’t a good thing. But, if you get the amp properly serviced, it’s probably still a good deal

gsnake

Reaction score
You should be concerned about a 15A fuse. Did the seller tell you they put a 15A fuse in it? Did the seller say why?

I would guess the seller was having problems blowing the proper rated fuse, then put a stronger fuse in instead of getting it serviced, which isn’t a good thing. But, if you get the amp properly serviced, it’s probably still a good deal
Thanks. The seller says he got it like that and the guy who gave it to him said the amp was sitting for 15 years without any use.. who knows..

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

or... probably some schlep, that, didn't know any better & just threw in the 1st fuse he could find. Think of how many people used to wrap a busted fuse w/ aluminum foil, plop it in & when it worked, never changed the fuse... :shrug:

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
or... probably some schlep, that, didn't know any better & just threw in the 1st fuse he could find. Think of how many people used to wrap a busted fuse w/ aluminum foil, plop it in & when it worked, never changed the fuse... :shrug:
That’s fair. Leave it to me to see the worst in people, lol.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
That’s fair. Leave it to me to see the worst in people, lol.
well, that's not the best in people either... :)...

The amp, should be gone through either way, especially, since the guy said it hadn't been played in 15+ years.

The fuse just gives 1 more caution to throw at the wind.

steveb63

Reaction score
To answer your question re: attenuator.

This is what I'm using with my JTM 45, sounds great to me. Two Notes Torpedo Captor 16
torpedo_series_captor.jpg

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
thanks all!
- which attenuator would you recommend for this amp?
- does 1989 year makes it more desirable (and expensive). the price is about 1000 dollars
- one concern I have I noticed the fuse is not 3 Amp but 15! Not sure if this was an ignorance or there is an issue
If you haven't bought this amp yet, unless the guy is holding it for you, you should before someone else does (assuming you want it). All it takes is the guy mentioning to someone that he's selling it, and it could be gone. That happened to me with a car I looked at (69 Camaro convertible). Guy had it for years, and after I went to look at it, he mentioned it to a co-worker the next day, and the car was gone. I eventually got the car, but after it had been sold yet once again, and at a higher price than I could have gotten it for had I not doddled. A bit off-topic, but you get the jist.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Have it checked by a qualified technician before you buy it, as a condition of buying it. Have him replace the fuse with the correct value, and if the amp should then blow fuses, that needs to be investigated. It may mean that an expensive repair is needed.

I sometimes wish that fuses were made so that each fuse value had a unique shape and no idiot could force the wrong fuse size into a fuse holder. If it takes a 3A slow blow fuse, then literally nothing else would fit.

But that's not reality. Reality is a blown fuse is an IQ test. If you put in a larger substitute for the fuse, you failed.

gsnake

Reaction score
If you haven't bought this amp yet, unless the guy is holding it for you, you should before someone else does (assuming you want it). All it takes is the guy mentioning to someone that he's selling it, and it could be gone. That happened to me with a car I looked at (69 Camaro convertible). Guy had it for years, and after I went to look at it, he mentioned it to a co-worker the next day, and the car was gone. I eventually got the car, but after it had been sold yet once again, and at a higher price than I could have gotten it for had I not doddled. A bit off-topic, but you get the jist.
Yeah, of course I got your point :)
I am ok till tomorrow. the problem is I talked to a guy who is repairing these amps and he said he got a backlog of 8 weeks..

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Yeah, of course I got your point :)
I am ok till tomorrow. the problem is I talked to a guy who is repairing these amps and he said he got a backlog of 8 weeks..
Your deal, of course, but here's what I would do...

Get a fuse that's the "correct" size fuse for the amp.
Go to the guys house and install the "correct" fuse.
Fire the amp up and give it a test drive.
No blown fuse, and no funny noises, buy the amp for the best price you can get it for ($1000 is a good price).
Fuse blows, or other funny noises (hum, scratchy pots...) use the fact that it's going to need some servicing as a negotiating tool, maybe get a hundred or two knocked off.

gsnake

Reaction score
ur deal, of course, but here's what I would do...
Your deal, of course, but here's what I would do...

Get a fuse that's the "correct" size fuse for the amp.
Go to the guys house and install the "correct" fuse.
Fire the amp up and give it a test drive.
No blown fuse, and no funny noises, buy the amp for the best price you can get it for ($1000 is a good price).
Fuse blows, or other funny noises (hum, scratchy pots...) use the fact that it's going to need some servicing as a negotiating tool, maybe get a hundred or two knocked off.
Makes sense, thanks! There is some hum from transformer I guess and some static noise if the guitar is not in my hands, as soon as I touch it the static noise disappears. Not sure if this is normal, I spoke with local technician and he said its fine..

Latest posts