Advice Needed 1966 Park45/100

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Humbucking, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Humbucking

Humbucking New Member

Hi, I was hoping for a little advice. I havent used my 1966 Park45/100 is about 10yrs. It has the original (HUGE) transformers, but was never wired for US voltage. I ran it in the past with a step up transformer at 240v. The transformer in the amp has the tap for 105/115, but when it was wired up at the factory, they never ran the wires to the selector.

The voltage selector says 240/250. I have 245v coming out of the step up transformer when I meter it. Is that Okay or should I cool down the step up transformer with a variac first to give it 240V on the money? I am not sure if these old amps were really designed to run at 240-250v or if they liked to see a little less juice. I typically bias & run my vintage marshalls with a variac set around 108-110V.

Or should I just wire up the connection for the 105/115V from the tap to the selector & run it like all my other vintage marshalls/Parks? Thanks

2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I would pull the tubes and put it through the variac into your step up transformer (235-240v is perfect) over a 12 hour reform.
    Once you have done this dial it in so that you get 6.3vac on your heaters and you will then know it is spot on.
    Humbucking from Plexipalace?

3. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

The selector says 240/250, and you measure 245, so what is the issue here? I'm sure it'll run just fine even at 280 volts. If I were you, I would hook up the selector if you're skilled to do that, to get rid of the step up transformer. Cheers

And like neikeel says, I you haven't fired it up in 10 years, be aware that your electrolytic capacitors need attention

South Park likes this.
  4. Humbucking

Humbucking New Member

Thanks Neikeel & StingRay85. Yes, from the old Plexipalace forum. I'll pull the tubes & let the electrolytics reform. Thanks again

5. Acvox

Acvox New Member

Should you decide to run your amp at UK voltage, I know from experience that
    voltage measured at the wall here in the UK tends to be under 240V more often 236-7 Volts. I mention it on the off-chance that it is of use to you.
    All the very best..