Advice from the "Sound guy"

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
When breaking in new sound guys I would have them come up and stand on stage next to me during the sound check after I got my rig sounding the way I wanted. I'd play for a couple of minutes and say "That's what I want it to sound like tonight." Most of them got it, and they tried to keep the house sound pretty faithful to what they had just heard. Often these guys had never before taken the time to stand right in front of the amps - or drums - they were mixing. They had listened only through the mics -> board -> phones -> mains during sound checks. But most of them got what I meant when I wanted them to hear what I heard.
When you hire experienced sound "engineers", they usually already know that. I say that to point out the difference between the noobs and the veterans. When I see a sound guy who looks like he's in his twenties, covered in tattoos and his entire head is pierced, I know I'm working with a noob. If the sound guy looks like he's well into his 40's, and maybe his hair is turning a little gray, I know I've got a guy whose on my team.

... usually. But not always.

Last edited:

AtomicRob

Reaction score
When you hire experienced sound "engineers", they usually already know that. I say that to point out the difference between the nobs and the veterans. When I see a sound guy who looks like he's in his twenties, covered in tattoos and his entire head is pierced, I know I'm working with a noob. If the sound guy looks like he's well into his 40's, and maybe his hair is turning a little gray, I know I've got a guy whose on my team.

... usually. But not always.
Yeah... the older/experienced guys seem to have no hearing left so even though they may know how to do their job, the FOH sound is always too loud and bright because their hearing stops at 12khz....

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
what was this in response to?

looks like a random troll comment, in reply to an article. What was the article? The guy seems to be agreeing w/ something, to start off his girly-man rant.

So, if you're a touring musician, sponsored by Marshall, you go on tour, tell Marshall "f*ck you, sound dork says, I need to use a bunch of plug-ins" & if your bass player is sponsored by Ampeg, tell them the same. If your drummer is sponsored by Sonor drums, tell them to also "f*ck off..."

Hey, I get it, mr sound guy can sponsor & pay for your tour...

&... he can do it for every band that follows his advice, just so it makes his job easier.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah... the older/experienced guys seem to have no hearing left so even though they may know how to do their job, the FOH sound is always too loud and bright because their hearing stops at 12khz....
That simply is not true, unless maybe you're talking about a guy in his 70's. I've never had a sound guy that had "hearing problems" in 40 years.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Don't forget the flip side. You know, the guitar player who decides, after the levels are all set, that he should be louder so he turns the volume knob on his amp right before the first song. Or he has a pedal on his board that increases his volume by 20 percent. Or the bassist who decides that he doesn't like the mic placement in front of his cab, so he moves it.

junk notes

Reaction score
and maybe his hair is
Blonde and young as Ted Templeman's. :D

His pardner is a little older, I think.

AtomicRob

Reaction score
That simply is not true, unless maybe you're talking about a guy in his 70's. I've never had a sound guy that had "hearing problems" in 40 years.
Well then, case closed!

Plot twist: We're comparing the pristine ears of Marshall amp users up against the equally pristine ears of guys who work sound in loud venues week after week for decades...

keennay

Reaction score
The part that got me rolling years ago, either on this or another forum, "No one cares about your Jose / Cameron / Fortin modded amp with NOS tubes, 4x12 pre-Rolas, MJ wound JB alnico modded pickups on your rare mahogany limited edition guitar in a live setting where half the audience is drunk." :D

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
what was this in response to?

looks like a random troll comment, in reply to an article. What was the article? The guy seems to be agreeing w/ something, to start off his girly-man rant.

So, if you're a touring musician, sponsored by Marshall, you go on tour, tell Marshall "f*ck you, sound dork says, I need to use a bunch of plug-ins" & if your bass player is sponsored by Ampeg, tell them the same. If your drummer is sponsored by Sonor drums, tell them to also "f*ck off..."

Hey, I get it, mr sound guy can sponsor & pay for your tour...

&... he can do it for every band that follows his advice, just so it makes his job easier.
I took it as if the OP was pointing out the ridiculous attitudes of a lot of sound guys these days. The trend is "less sound onstage", and a lot more output from the sound guy. In my experience with it, starting about 12 or so years ago, what that ends up translating into, is that the sound guy starts gaining too much control over the band, and oftentimes, starts trying to be the director. Before you know it, you're the sound guy's gig, rather than the sound guy being there to support the band he was hired to work FOR, not WITH. From a guitar player point of view. When it comes to plexi glass shields and in-ear monitors and silent stages, I'm out. And that's one of the primary reasons I quit gigging. I saw the trend creeping in all around me, and I was like, "Ok lookit: there is no way I'm going to be leaving my life's dream rig at home and show up with a fecking Line 6 POD, a $3K Les Paul, a guitar cable, and stand there mixing my ear buds on a tiny AVIOM in-ear mixer on the end of a frigging chrome microphone stand. THAT is NOT Rock n Roll. What that IS, is GHEY.

And I'll tell ya one more thing: every time I see a guitar player up on a stage, however big or small, and he/ she's got an iPad on a mic stand, I wanna walk up there and biotch-slap that thing across the stage, grab the guitar, and walk off with it.

:D

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
:yesway:
, what that ends up translating into, is that the sound guy starts gaining too much control over the band, and oftentimes, starts trying to be the director. Before you know it, you're the sound guy's gig, rather than the sound guy being there to support the band he was hired to work FOR, not WITH. From a guitar player point of view.
I spent beaucoup and have invested decades into the sound I am representing.. you will be hearing that.

dro

Reaction score
Now this it something that pisses me off.
This guy must have 10,000 songs on his cell phone. And thinks they sound good.
The first thing I'll leave at home on a 300 seat gig.
Is the "Sound Man"
Mic the kick into one sub behind the drummer only.
Powered 815's for mains and monitors.
Vocals and acoustics only in the PA.
If you've been playing long enough. You'll remember how to gig like this.
If not, I feel sorry for you.
On a 300 seat gig, there is no need to run everything into a mixer, and give some dip shit control over your sound.
Again, in the old days, only time you got a sound system was in a theater, or larger venue.
Want to be a disappointed guitar player? Plug your $ 4000.00 Les Paul into a fucking Line 6 POD.
And walk out in front of the PA, to hear your "Sound Man" who is paying more attention to the drunk girl at the table closest to him, than the band.
You'll get the same sound if you use a $200.00 Samick into anything Line 6.
If your sound guy want's you to use a Lin 6. It's obvious, he's not listening.
I bought my Tube Amps because I was tired of hearing the digital blanket.
Digital sounded like shit, on recordings, sounds like shit live.
Stay the fuck home, sound guy. and let the band play.
Sorry for the rant.

Latest posts