addicted to cabs?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Exotic, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Paul Petraitis

Paul Petraitis New Member

I have lots of cabs but I want something different so I'm making some modifications to my existing cabs. Starting with my Marshall 4x10s. I'm removing the bottom two tens and fitting in a downward firing 15 in their place. I'll keep you updated as me and my carpenter start rolling with this and a couple other "Maxi Cab" projects. Why have all the same speakers in one box?

Mitchell Pearrow and Exotic like this.
  2. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Do you have any experience in downward firing speakers or are you experimenting?

Exotic likes this.
  3. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Active Member

These are my favorite cabs.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 10.43.16 AM.png
    Oh wait, wrong kind of cabs.

4. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

um,what is downward firing ? thank you .
    anyway even though i don't need it ,i'm planning on going monday to see if the kustom is still for sale ,if it is i'm going to shell out the 60 bucks and bring it home ,if not then even better . my stack will be ,4 marshall vintage ,and 4 g12t-75's .
    no more x pattern ,the drive cab with madison archer speakers didn't work out so hot for me so i'm taking out the madison's and replacing with g12t-75 . IMG_3338 (Mobile).JPG IMG_1803 (Mobile).JPG IMG_3261 (Mobile).JPG IMG_3222 (Mobile).JPG

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

ok it was a total disaster today first the cab was sold ,so i figured i'll just take out the madison archers and replace with g12t-75's ,easy right? wrong ,u can't pull off the back of this drive cab ,i have to pull out the speakers from the front ,ran into a stripped screw head causing me to lose track of which was plus and which was minus ,but that's not the worse part .
    this jack has 2 inputs a normal one and the other smaller one i had cut one wire before and it was still working so i figured i would cut the second wire because i figured it wasn't necessary because it was probably just connected to that second jack i don't need ,so i got all 4 mounted all 4 plugged in and nothing ,no reading on the dmm . so i'm like what did i do wrong? so i saw the dangling wire i had cut through one of the 4 holes in the back and i simply wrapped it around one of the speaker terminals ,and did the 9 volt test and bam 2 speakers were pushing out ,the other 2 nothing ,did the dmm test and i got a 32 ohm reading ,now these r 16 ohm speakers mind u . i had also cut 2 of the wires on the input jack to the input i don't need so i thought to myself i better connect those back and maybe just maybe it will work again ,but wrong i was getting like a 0.8 reading very wierd . i'm lost ,gonna bring a speaker pro here tomorrow to pick up the cab and get r done if the quote isn't too high ,if it is i don't know what i'm going to do with this wierd front loaded double input cab .any ideas? advice?

IMG_3220 (Phone).JPG IMG_3219 (Phone).JPG
    IMG_3221 (Phone).JPG IMG_3231 (Phone).JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  6. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Its a ported bass cab anyways.

Exotic likes this.
  7. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

It's a frontloader.

That's how they work. That's normal (except the stripped screw issue)

Exotic likes this.
  8. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

well i hate front loaders ,i think it is a horrendous design .
    a ported bass cab ,well can't i just cover up those holes in the back and use it as a guitar cab? it has 4 celestion g12t-75's in it . all i need the repair guy to do is to wire it correctly ,i think i'm pretty much done tryin to do it myself ,i have no workbench ,no tools ,no knowledge ,no help ,no strength and no desire to finish it ,so ,how much is reasonable price for a speaker repair man to charge ,if all he has to do is solder 2 wires and hook it up properly ?

you know spiders love those holes in the back it's a perfect home for them .which is just the worst design i have ever seen .

9. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Of course you can, but you can also dump it and look for a decent guitar cabinet instead of doing all this effort to try to polish this ... you know

The connections on the back are just regular parallel outputs, a jack and speakon. You use one of the two and that's it

Exotic likes this.
  10. Most_Triumphant

Most_Triumphant Member

Dang, the guys in this thread must be the reason there are no Marshall cabs in my area. There is currently a single Marshall cab for sale in my area (not counting MGs) its an old used 1960B with G12T-75s. He's asking for $900! I'd be very happy with a 1936 or 1965, but they never show up locally.

Exotic likes this.
  11. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

At one point, a few years ago...I had clean, original 4x12 cabs from 1964, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1978, etc.
    All of them had matching heads, for the most part.
    I got older and tired of the maintenance worry, or blowing a transformer, etc.

I kept the best sounding one...a mint 1973 "Bass" logo cab, with 55hz G12M Pulsonic coned Gray backs in it.

I don't regret thinning down, really. Of the other cabs, the 1970 basketweave straight cab was one of the nicer sounding cabs.

I was obsessed with the differences from year to year, and kept a log of serial numbers, etc.

Alas, nobody would ever do a sticky on here, and the same questions came up, over and over,
    about "which cab do I have", "what speakers should it have", etc.

I burned out, somewhat. I have a couple more years to raise my daughter, as well, so there are more important things
    in life, and every minute counts.

I still love to play, and check in now and then. It is a fun hobby, especially if you
    actually play. The tones of the older cabs are sublime :)

For anyone that cares to check them out, here is a link to most of those cabinets, in detailed pictures.
    https://photobucket.com/u/soundboy57/a/b17ff621-e54a-4c3a-bd0b-ec98b2d3c9c2

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  12. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Impressive gear you’ve had, I enjoyed the pics. :p

13. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

yeah those were some nice photos .
    well today was much better ,the guy came over said he would charge me 45 bucks and an hour later he brought it back with a dmm showing me it was reading 13.8 and demonstrated how the second works also(jack) ,plus he added some missing screws cuz i forgot to give him screws i took out and didn't put back .
    so 35 dollar cab with 45 labor ran me 80 bucks total ,metal grill with celestion g12t-75's .it was sad not being able to finish it myself but at least it's done and i'm happy with it .

Mitchell Pearrow and StingRay85 like this.
  14. shakti

shakti Active Member

I have turned into a shameless hoarder of speaker cabs. But there's good reason for it; vintage cabs and speakers just can't be replicated, and the tonal variations you can get from experimenting with different cabs and speakers is huge. Right now the list consists of...

Marshall:
    '66 1960A with March '66 G12M 20W (no doping) T1221s
    '66 1960B tall bottom with June '66 G12M 20W (with doping) T1221s
    '66/67 1982B tall bottom with November '66 G12H 25W T1281s
    '69 1982B with G12H 30W T1281s
    '69/70 1982B with G12H 30W T1281s
    '70 1982A with Cerwin Vega ER123s
    '70 1935B with G12M 25W 55Hz T1511s

Hiwatt:
    1971 SE4122 with Fane 17000 Gauss 122142 speakers
    1973 SE4123 with Fane 14000 Gauss 122231 speakers

I also have '74 HH cab with Fanes that I need to repair. Might turn this one into a Komet Ambikab type cab with two dry speakers and L/R wet speakers for a one-cab WDW solution.

I just sold a '69 Sound City cab with Fanes too...can't keep them all, so now I feel very good for finally selling one.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  15. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

I'm addicted to cabs and speakers... I love to mix and match. currently I own 2 4x12, 2 2x12 and 3 1x12 and some spare speakers

Exotic likes this.
  16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

Addicted to cabs? Really? Great, another topic for my therapist to discuss with me. LOL
    [​IMG]

17. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Active Member

I also live in a small place and just play in my studio. To curb the cab lust, because I mostly want to try different speakers, I have each speaker in my 4x12 wired to its own jack on the back. Then I swap in and out single speakers like crazy to try them out. I know it’s not the same as all four speakers pushing air but it’s a pretty good compromise. Plus, it doesn’t sound boxy like a small 1x12 cab.
    And I can AB between heads real easy, or even hook up a head to two different speaker types and mix and match. It’s a lot of fun just how different you can make an amp sound through different speakers.

The same reason people say they tried X amp and hated it, some speakers really accentuate the bad of an amp, while some amps cooperate with everything. Kind of like how some make better pedal platforms than others, if that makes sense.

i now have 8 speakers and only one 4x12 though so I’m real close to getting another one. Missed a local jcm900 1960b for $300. Damn.

18. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

wow really nice photo ,why do u have so many nice ones? wait but that's ur job right?

yeah u shoulda got it ,learn for the next time .
    really good idea about have each speaker with it's own jack ,tell me what is the quckest safest way to switch speakers?
    to not burn up the amp? gnome sayin?

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  19. lonewolfsx

lonewolfsx Active Member

I just turn the amp completely off if I’m going to unplug the speaker at all. Most of the time though I hooked up one or two speakers each into two amps and use an ABY switcher to go back and forth between them. I’m not usually playing with more than two at once.

if you wanted to get real fancy, and I’ve considered it but they are just so damn expensive ($1500ish) you can buy these awesome head switcher things. There’s one online that can switch between 8 heads and 4 speaker cabs. Every head that isn’t active can still be left turned on because the switcher also contains a dummy speaker load. It’s pretty wild though, you gotta have 8 cables going from the switcher into the guitar input of 8 amp heads + 8 speaker cables from the heads back to the switcher + 4 more speaker cables to each speaker/cab. I used to think only a nutcase would ever need something like that but here I am now with more than 8 amp heads so I guess I’m that nut now.

Mitchell Pearrow, Exotic and neikeel like this.
  20. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

yeah thanks i'm not taking any chances ,if i switch cabs ima gonna go through the whole shut down procedure ,and double check ohm settings etc.

i have 11 possible sound combinations
    1.jcm 800 with 4 g12t-75's 16 ohm
    2.jcm 800 with 4 marshall vintage 16 ohm
    3.jcm 800 with 2 jbl d120f and 2 greenbacks(x pattern) 8 ohm
    4.jcm 800 with 4 celestion avt avt 8 ohm
    5.jcm 900 with 4 g12t-75's
    6.jcm 900 with 4 marshall vintage
    7.jcm 900 with 2 jbl d120f 2 greenbacks
    8.jcm 900 with 4 celestion avt
    9. jcm 800 with 2 8 ohm cabs
    10.jcm 800 with 2 16 ohm cabs
    11.jcm 900 with 2 16 ohm cabs
    and i think that's it ,the jcm 900 doesn't have a 4 ohm setting so no 2 8 ohm cabs

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and lonewolfsx like this.