Active Guitar Wiring - Jack

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
A few weeks back, I had to put a guitar on the sidelines, because the jack was failing. The guitar has EMG pickups. The electronics must all be in the pickups, because there's no PC board in the control cavity.

So, the guitar (bass) has a long threaded (sealed) jack.

(example)
upload_2021-8-5_11-34-34.png

so the connections are stereo:
PAUL2965.jpg

as you can see, the right one is the outer (ground) & the other 2 are lead connects.

So, the way the wiring currently is, is this:

PAUL2964.jpg

PAUL2963.jpg

kind of hard to see, but, that loop, connects the ground, to one of the leads. If you look closely at the top image (of the 2), the white loop wire is connected at the same point as the other white wire going out, then loops around to the other terminal.

upload_2021-8-5_11-49-21.png

The white wire then goes to the ground of the tone pot case.

The black wire? goes directly to the battery terminal, then is connected to 2 red wires that feed into the body, to go to each pickup. They are Y'd together. That is the only connections to the jack.

Question(s)...

does this seem right?

There seems to be no lead coming from the pickups, except this Y cable, through the battery, then straight to the jack. Meanwhile, the 2 volume pots seem to work just fine. How is this possible?

Not sure what the wiring looked like stock. I did have the original jack replaced 30 years ago, & everything's tight in there, so I don't know what he did back then. I'm sure he kept it the same, but, some of the "factory" soldering looks pretty rough, if it is indeed, especially for a custom shop company...

PAUL2966.jpg

Here you can see the overall wiring. There's white multi-par wires that go from the pots, to the pickups & connect each other. The red wires come from each pickup & meet & go into the battery terminal. 1 white wire (single strand) goes from tone pot ground to the jack, & the black wire from the battery terminal goes to the tip...

I'm going to install the new jack, but this just has me curious, as to if this is the best way to connect it? I don't want to have to disconnect & reconnect, or, I'm going to change the white ground wire, because it's all of about an inch long & there's about an inch between the pot & the jack terminal, so, it's tight & I don't want to fuss w/ it...

I custom ordered the bass w/ the pickups in it, back in '89.

Is there some sort of series magic going on inside the pickups?

btw: all the crud inside is from there was a sheet of black foam, insulating the pots from the battery & it pretty much has disintegrated inside there.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jack is an on switch for the battery.
When you plug in the guitar, you complete the battery circuit.
If you didn't know, don't leave a cord in an active guitar when not in use or the battery will keep powering the pickups.

Edit.
On the stereo jack, the ring to sleeve lug jumper completes the negative wire for the battery circuit.

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
The jack is an on switch for the battery.
When you plug in the guitar, you complete the battery circuit.
If you didn't know, don't leave a cord in an active guitar when not in use or the battery will keep powering the pickups.

Edit.
On the stereo jack, the ring to sleeve lug jumper completes the negative wire for the battery circuit.
I know about it turning on/off the active circuit, but, other than that:

There are no wires coming from the pots to the jack. The only wires that come to the jack, are the ground, that hooks up parallel to the sleeve & ring. The other wire comes from the battery, from a Y cable feeding the pickups into the amp out...

Here, I scribbled a diagram, hopefully it makes sense:

hamer.png

this is what it looks like...

(edit) one thing left out, but non-essential, is, that another green wire goes from the tone case ground to the bridge... (as seen in the cavity pic)

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The long jack lug is the ring (battery black wire).
None of the other wiring on your pots makes any sense to me.
It looks like everything is wired to ground?
I know there's different ways to wire a guitar, but I've never seen any diagrams like that.

upload_2021-8-5_16-40-49.png

PelliX

Reaction score
There seems to be no lead coming from the pickups, except this Y cable, through the battery, then straight to the jack. Meanwhile, the 2 volume pots seem to work just fine. How is this possible?

Well, there is a out a full circuit in the true sense of the word, and the signal is being manipulated just as it would otherwise by the strings, magnetic field, etc, etc. Whether all this wiring is stock, no idea - that it works is logical.

Is there some sort of series magic going on inside the pickups?

Don't all pickups have some kind of magic? Jokes aside, I know nothing about these pickups, honestly. Last time I touched a bass guitar was early 2000's.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
The long jack lug is the ring (battery black wire).
None of the other wiring on your pots makes any sense to me.
It looks like everything is wired to ground?
I know there's different ways to wire a guitar, but I've never seen any diagrams like that.

View attachment 92445
this is pretty confusing...

I mean, I can simply disconnect & reconnect the new one & just ignore the rest of it, but, I'm somewhat perplexed...

In that drawing, it shows that the sleeve is connected to the tip, not ring/sleeve. I was thinking it was the other way around...

One thing, is that in the other wires, on the pot's, those wires are multi-par. There's a braided sleeve around the inner pairs. So, they soldered the braid, to the pot case, & the stranded wire comes through & connects to the control terminals...

PAUL2966_1.jpg

so now, looking a little closer, it appears that the ground wire, also has a braided (shielded) ground & possibly the loop jumper cable is actually a lead...

I need to get my soldering iron out...

So, they used this wire pretty methodically...

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is pretty confusing...

I mean, I can simply disconnect & reconnect the new one & just ignore the rest of it, but, I'm somewhat perplexed...

In that drawing, it shows that the sleeve is connected to the tip, not ring/sleeve. I was thinking it was the other way around...

One thing, is that in the other wires, on the pot's, those wires are multi-par. There's a braided sleeve around the inner pairs. So, they soldered the braid, to the pot case, & the stranded wire comes through & connects to the control terminals...

View attachment 92446

so now, looking a little closer, it appears that the ground wire, also has a braided (shielded) ground & possibly the loop jumper cable is actually a lead...

I need to get my soldering iron out...

So, they used this wire pretty methodically...
ok, that makes more sense.
Red is hot from battery.
Thin white is your pickup to pot terminals and jack tip (not a jumper on the jack).
Braid from thick white wire is ground and goes to jack sleeve.
The black wire to ring completes the battery circuit to sleeve/ground with a cord in.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
ok, that makes more sense.
Red is hot from battery.
Thin white is your pickup to pot terminals and jack tip (not a jumper on the jack).
Braid from thick white wire is ground and goes to jack sleeve.
The black wire to ring completes the battery circuit to sleeve/ground with a cord in.
just pulled it off, & confirmed it...

now, to find some solder...

Latest posts