ACDC Tone: Marshall DSL40 or Origin 20?

JBA

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not trying to get the exact sound ACDC have just something close on a reasonable budget. The DSL and origins are reasonable priced and there seems to be plenty for sale at the moment second hand. I will only be playing at home so looks like the DSL might be my best option. I dont really play much heavy stuff just love my classic Rock n Roll.
Green clean cranked gain, varied levels on a boost pedal, bass down and you got a good starting point. Chinese greenback pairs well with that amp if you are inclined down the road.

gregr

Reaction score
Circuit wise: Origin

I’m just about finishing up a DSL50 and the bias resistor of the last stage of gain was set to the classic Bassman value. It so happens that I’m using the same bias resistor on the first gain stage of the Origin as well and I can definitely say the crunch mode on this modded DSL is far more Plexi-like than it was before. Furthermore the treble peaker on the 40CR is also incorrect for a 1959/2203. You’re now left with the output section being fixed bias vs. cathode bias which favors the 40C, but I don’t think it’s really a world of difference to the point that it overwhelms the difference in the preamp which is still an important component of the overall tone of a 1959. The DSL also has a cathode follower, but it doesn’t directly follow the final gain stage and I don’t really know how important it is. I’m inclined to say it isn’t going to tip the scales but I will defer to those of you who are well-seasoned as well as those of you who have extensive experience with both amps.

I also really like the tone of the head first- modded Origin, but that’s neither here nor there.

Last edited:

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I will only be playing at home so looks like the DSL might be my best option. I dont really play much heavy stuff just love my classic Rock n Roll.

I have the older DSL40C and it’s a very versatile amp. The “Crunch” setting on the clean channel is a relatively low-ish gain channel with a pronounced midrange. For what it’s worth, I seem to recall the manual saying it was supposed to approximate a Super Lead’s sound. It does sound fairly AC/DC-like, IMO. For home use, I’d suggest the DSL40 every time.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not trying to get the exact sound ACDC have just something close on a reasonable budget. The DSL and origins are reasonable priced and there seems to be plenty for sale at the moment second hand. I will only be playing at home so looks like the DSL might be my best option. I dont really play much heavy stuff just love my classic Rock n Roll.
I think you may have made the right decision. I have a used DSL 40 C and 100 H and both get very close to acdc imo, AND they can do a lot of other stuff too. I think the origin is sort of a 1 trick pony without pedals. Nothing wrong with that and if I can swing it, I'll be getting one.

Used DSL 40 Cs are fairly cheap. I just got 1 from musicians enemy for $500. They currently have a bunch available.

Just make sure it's a 40 C with 11 knobs and the model written next to the power/standby switches and not the newer 40 CR with 13 knobs and the model written underneath the power/standby switches. The cR sounds too modern and less acdc.

Musicians Enemy has both versions listed as 40 C so you need to look for what I mentioned before you buy.

Oh yeah, I'm not using the stock speaker so not sure how that is, but with my 2x12 v30 cab I can pull off acdc great.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a thousand local bands do ACDC' Most of them had nothing close to what ACDC used. But at a local bar no one gives a shit. Most were average at best but the crowd still had fun and liked it. So unless your playing in a top level touring ACDC Tribute band I would not worry to much. Their are a hundred amps out their that can do ACDC pretty close. The biggest mistake by most guys trying to sound close to them is to much gain to hide their weak playing.
This makes so much sense I can’t even stand it!

I’ve always said,… once the drums and bass come in, no one gives a shit, lol, what I mean is, close is good enough.

Unless of course as mentioned above, you’re an upper tour level AC/DC Tribute band.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Extra grit on the sounds good to me. How is the 40 set up? channel , gain , pedal and eq ?
That would have been a SD1, red ultra 1, and a 3210 in tow on the clean channel.
Gain 4
Mids 7
Treble 7
Volume 4
Bass 5
FX send to the front of the 3210 on the clean channel .
Thanks

Marcomel79

Reaction score
1. Origin 20 if ac/dc is your main goal and you don’t play anything much heavier.
2. Dsl20 for ac/dc and you also plan to play some heavier stuff.
3. Dsl40 takes second place to the 20 (IMO) for aca range of tones.
Well theres High Voltage ACDC, vintage sounding. Let there be rock ACDC, very heavy Angus sound. And Fly on the Wall ACDC, the heaviest of all i think... me, i prefer High Voltage/Dirty Deeds sound..

Latest posts