ACDC Tone: Marshall DSL40 or Origin 20?

chinga

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm after some advice. To get those classic ACDC tones 70's era, would the Marshall DSL40 or Origin 20 be better? I currently run a Behringer GX212 which has a really nice clean channel so I could also possibly buy a Wampler Plexi instead of a new amp.

Any advice will help.
Thanks

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm after some advice. To get those classic ACDC tones 70's era, would the Marshall DSL40 or Origin 20 be better? I currently run a Behringer GX212 which has a really nice clean channel so I could also possibly buy a Wampler Plexi instead of a new amp.

Any advice will help.
Thanks
:welcome: to the forum.
In general, the Origin is more of a classic tone, and the DSL is more of a modern high gain tone.
The Origin needs volume to get native overdrive, but the DSL can go high gain at low volume with multiple channels.
If you're not opposed to using pedals, you should be able to get a variety of tones from either amp.
AC/DC has lots of different tunes with lots of different tones, and unfortunately, used neither amp.
If you can, try them both and see which one you like better.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Hi all

Any advice will help.
Thanks
In my opinion DSLs cant do a good ACDC its too scooped and modern sounding, go try one to determine yourself, you may or may not like it, Origin would do a better job than DSL, again go try one to see for yourself. Any of the old school Marshalls will do a better ACDC, look at the SV20, SC20, 1959, 1987, 2204, 2203, JTM45.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
In my opinion DSLs cant do a good ACDC its too scooped and modern sounding, go try one to determine yourself, you may or may not like it, Origin would do a better job than DSL, again go try one to see for yourself. Any of the old school Marshalls will do a better ACDC, look at the SV20, SC20, 1959, 1987, 2204, 2203, JTM45.
More in the wheel house of the Origin. For me , I can justify the price of the Origin to the inflated original game changer.
I agree , not DSL but some people swear by them. I like modern tone as well but , just not a dsl fan. The new ones might be better but try them all.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Any advice will help.
Thanks
Welcome to the forum
:welcome:
For the record (the question you asked)
The Origin. But as the others above me have mentioned try them both.
I have both the Origin , and the older Dsl40c’s and I can get a AC/DC vibe from both, but it is far easier with the Origins..
Cheers
Mitch

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
:welcome:
For the record (the question you asked)
The Origin. But as the others above me have mentioned try them both.
I have both the Origin , and the older Dsl40c’s and I can get a AC/DC vibe from both, but it is far easier with the Origins..
Cheers
Mitch
Good post Mitch !

God of Thunder

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but for AC/DC I would go for the DSL. I have two 1971 Super Leads with MV's installed - that are practically identical to what Angus uses live, but they have to be loud. I am strictly a home player, but when I want to play and not be "loud" - my DSL100 can be turned down, which then still gives me some of the higher level crunch - which gives me a tone that I feel is close enough - but usable. Loud volume isn't always possible at my house - and that's why I vote DSL.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
A DSL40CR gets close enough for me at home volumes.
Then again I'm pretty happy with the tones I get from my Valvestate too.
I am no aficionado when it comes to authentic tone replication.
Get somewhere in the ballpark and tweak to how I like with the kit I've got.

But to get the authentic Angus sound you would probably have to:

Get the same guitar/pickups he used.
Get the same type amp(s) he used.
Have it/them modded the same way as his tech did.
Same speaker cabs/speakers he used.
Same microphones he used.
Play at the same volume he played at, live or in the studio.
Oh, and be as good as Angus on guitar.

I vote DSL, and live with yourself being your best you.

:shrug:

And welcome to the MF @chinga.

kustombob

Reaction score
I have seen a thousand local bands do ACDC' Most of them had nothing close to what ACDC used. But at a local bar no one gives a shit. Most were average at best but the crowd still had fun and liked it. So unless your playing in a top level touring ACDC Tribute band I would not worry to much. Their are a hundred amps out their that can do ACDC pretty close. The biggest mistake by most guys trying to sound close to them is to much gain to hide their weak playing.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
That's the thing about a real Superlead: It won't let your technique hide! What you play, will be heard, in every subtle nuance. If you can sound good plugged straight into a 1959 with the volume cranked up, then you can sound good out of ANY amp.

My experiences of my 1959s has certainly improved my technique. I still suck, but there's a polished ease to it now...:)

JBA

Reaction score
1. Origin 20 if ac/dc is your main goal and you don’t play anything much heavier.
2. Dsl20 for ac/dc and you also plan to play some heavier stuff.
3. Dsl40 takes second place to the 20 (IMO) for aca range of tones.

Old Punker

Reaction score

:agreed:

I can get a decent AC/DC tone pretty easily on my SC20H at reasonable basement volume. :monkey:

chinga

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not trying to get the exact sound ACDC have just something close on a reasonable budget. The DSL and origins are reasonable priced and there seems to be plenty for sale at the moment second hand. I will only be playing at home so looks like the DSL might be my best option. I dont really play much heavy stuff just love my classic Rock n Roll.

Latest posts